Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 totaled

totaled?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you’d want that to be totaled. My best guess is definitely totaled. There’s a YouTube video of The fast lane you tubers who dented the rear bumper of their Model 3 by backing up into a concrete garage. The damage looked very minor but if I’m not mistaken their repair costs were 15K+ or some crazy amount like that. It’s the damage that you don’t see that often ends up bumping up repair costs.

Even worse, some states (like NJ here) use a total loss formula. Basically, if the cost of repairs + salvage value of the vehicle is less than the ACV, it’s not a total loss. Really sucks - we’re north of $16k in damage and 2 1/2 months wait time on my wife’s Enclave after a deer jumped in front of it, with no end in sight. I don’t want the car back - I’d MUCH rather they had totaled it; this is going to cost me $10k++. And no diminished value as the deer didn’t have insurance. :)
so wife looked up and Texas and California have the highest in the U.S. at 100%

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Even worse, some states (like NJ here) use a total loss formula. Basically, if the cost of repairs + salvage value of the vehicle is less than the ACV, it’s not a total loss. Really sucks - we’re north of $16k in damage and 2 1/2 months wait time on my wife’s Enclave after a deer jumped in front of it, with no end in sight. I don’t want the car back - I’d MUCH rather they had totaled it; this is going to cost me $10k++. And no diminished value as the deer didn’t have insurance. :)
I feel your pain. Also in NJ. Wife rear ended truck in front of her at 5MPH. She had a Subaru and the vehicle in front was an older pick up. Her hood went under the trucks bumper and we subsequently found out that she had engine damage because the timing belt was damaged during the accident which caused a piston to go through the engine. So, approximately 14K in damage and they still wouldn’t total it. It was surprising because the value of the car was around the same as what the repairs came to. Cars never been the same afterwards.

Reactions: dmurphy
I feel your pain. Also in NJ. Wife rear ended truck in front of her at 5MPH. She had a Subaru and the vehicle in front was an older pick up. Her hood went under the trucks bumper and we subsequently found out that she had engine damage because the timing belt was damaged during the accident which caused a piston to go through the engine. So, approximately 14K in damage and they still wouldn’t total it. It was surprising because the value of the car was around the same as what the repairs came to. Cars never been the same afterwards.

ouch. Interference engines are no joke. The problem is that threshold - if it’s cheaper to repair, they will. This is our problem. The ACV of the Buick is around $35k give or take. “Only” $16k in repairs for the first estimate, so we’re way far away. Thing is,
I know it’ll never be the same. Once we get it back, we’ll make a decision but right now I’m about 95% sure we’ll be selling it for either a Model X or (more likely) another Enclave. The X is just very expensive for a complicated beast ... if it just didn’t have the falcon wing doors ........

Attachments

• 03E6662C-7948-4864-90C5-79CFED20B8E7.jpeg
    03E6662C-7948-4864-90C5-79CFED20B8E7.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: C141medic
We had a similar accident in our Prius and it didn’t look nearly as bad as yours. Our insurance company declared it a total loss within a day. The good thing is that it was clearly the other person’s fault. That means your insurance company is more likely to declare it a total loss and send the bill for a new one to the other party’s insurance company. Since you would be entitled to diminished value and loss of use, it’s highly unlikely they would come out ahead arguing to fix it. Your insurance company could care less about the cost to repair it as long as they are confident that the other insurance company will pay for a replacement.

The latest offer to boost the acceleration for $2K has left a lot of us wondering how insurance would handle this. I would expect the other party to be required to reimburse for that expense. But if it were your fault your insurance company may not considered it to be covered. Same with paint correction, ceramic coating, PPF, etc.

And of course the diminishing and almost gone tax deduction, coupled with recent price increases, adds more complexity to the math. Make sure you argue to be made whole for the actual replacement cost, including sales tax and registration fees. We were made whole for all of those costs with our claim, along with an extra $15K for pain and suffering.

And by the way, in case you haven’t noticed, your neck is really sore right now and your back is in constant pain.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
We had a similar accident in our Prius and it didn’t look nearly as bad as yours. Our insurance company declared it a total loss within a day. The good thing is that it was clearly the other person’s fault. That means your insurance company is more likely to declare it a total loss and send the bill for a new one to the other party’s insurance company. Since you would be entitled to diminished value and loss of use, it’s highly unlikely they would come out ahead arguing to fix it. Your insurance company could care less about the cost to repair it as long as they are confident that the other insurance company will pay for a replacement.

The latest offer to boost the acceleration for $2K has left a lot of us wondering how insurance would handle this. I would expect the other party to be required to reimburse for that expense. But if it were your fault your insurance company may not considered it to be covered. Same with paint correction, ceramic coating, PPF, etc.

And of course the diminishing and almost gone tax deduction, coupled with recent price increases, adds more complexity to the math. Make sure you argue to be made whole for the actual replacement cost, including sales tax and registration fees. We were made whole for all of those costs with our claim, along with an extra $15K for pain and suffering.

And by the way, in case you haven’t noticed, your neck is really sore right now and your back is in constant pain.
thanks. I couldnt talk to anyone really this weekend since Texas uses "local" agents that dont work weekends.

how did you comunicate the pain the suffering? not having a rental this weekend because no one was around. the time to call insurance companies, find tesla approved places, etc will take a lot of my time.

thanks. I couldnt talk to anyone really this weekend since Texas uses "local" agents that dont work weekends.

how did you comunicate the pain the suffering? not having a rental this weekend because no one was around. the time to call insurance companies, find tesla approved places, etc will take a lot of my time.

Well, you are supposed to go to emergency care after an accident and document any pain you are experiencing. Whiplash doesn’t always become noticeable immediately after the accident because your body can release endorphins to cushion the immediate impact of the accident. Once this wears off your body may become very sore or stiff. Some people have experienced accident related pain six months after an accident. Everybody responds differently to trauma. But most important is to document any pain you are experiencing with a medical person as evidence of your pain and suffering.

As someone who just had a Model S totaled, the key is structural compromise.
In most states if you have at least 2 structural issues it's all but guaranteed to be deemed a total loss.
Unfortunately the Insurance company owns all the cards. Body shop determined it should be totaled almost immediately after the battery interrupt fuse arrived from Tesla. They told me that most insurance companies would have evaluated it as totaled within 2-3 days. Unfortunately State Farm is a ponderous company. Took them almost 3 weeks to reach that conclusion. Their Claims department is either inefficient or overwhelmed. Their Total Loss department (did not even know such a thing existed), on the other hand, was excellent.....communicative and fair.

^This.

Consult a personal injury attorney on Monday and follow his/her instructions.

There is a definite process. You will only know the process, and the appropriate compensation to which you are entitled, after you have consulted an attorney.

i had taken the thumbdrive out recently as it got full and forgot to put it back in :(

i will now with this repaired or new tesla will do the raspberry pi with wifi to send to desktop server so i dont have to keep emptying thumbdrive and reformatting it.

oh oh :( I keep a small thumb drive while I take out main SSD to remove or check for stuff. But since rear end snd hopefully other drive is insured and won’t lie about accident