Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 totaled

totaled?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone hit me over weekend while i was fully stopped at a red light. Road is 45 mph and I did not hear any hard braking before being hit so guessing i was hit at almost full speed limit. I am waiting to get everything started with insurance to see if repairable or totaled. Since can take awhile to get a new Tesla, if its possibly going to be totaled, I was debating on putting in a new order now with the $100 non refundable fee to jump start the order while waiting on insurance to see if it is totaled. I thought I would get others opinion who might be able to tell from some photos.
Untitled presentation (1).jpg
Untitled presentation (2).jpg
Untitled presentation (3).jpg
Untitled presentation (4).jpg
Untitled presentation (5).jpg
Untitled presentation (6).jpg
Untitled presentation (7).jpg
Untitled presentation (8).jpg

Yes, totaled for sure. Get your replacement order going. Worst case is you’re out $100. More likely than not it will be totaled. Good luck.

Edit: Since you were rear-ended, the fault is the other driver. If repaired, you will need to argue a “diminished value” claim as the value of tour repaired car will be way less than pre- accident value. You best hope it’s totaled.

It's impossible for anyone of us to say without knowing a lot more details, which includes a full damage estimate.

Insurance laws are also different from state to state, and some like Wisconsin will declare a total loss of 50% of ACV. Others, like Ohio are as high as 70%. So if anybody tells you an answer, remember that they are just guessing because it is all up to your insurance company, the value of the repairs, and the value of the car. And all of those can vary widely.

My wild guess is that it would be a total loss, but that's just a guess.

Reactions: jpfive
It's impossible for anyone of us to say without knowing a lot more details, which includes a full damage estimate.

Insurance laws are also different from state to state, and some like Wisconsin will declare a total loss of 50% of ACV. Others, like Ohio are as high as 70%. So if anybody tells you an answer, remember that they are just guessing because it is all up to your insurance company, the value of the repairs, and the value of the car. And all of those can vary widely.

My wild guess is that it would be a total loss, but that's just a guess.
thanks and agree, i am not trying to use this as evidence to bring to insurance company. I am in Texas btw and that is 6 month old tesla model 3 LR AWD with FSD and just purchased acceleration boost :(

“Since you were rear-ended, the fault is the other driver. If repaired, you will need to argue a “diminished value” claim as the value of tour repaired car will be way less than pre- accident value. You best hope it’s totaled.”

Also, I think you want to argue for full replacement value given it’s only six months old and you just dropped another upgrade on it. Do not settle the bodily injury claim before you and the other driver’s insurance company agree on full replacement value.

Reactions: Avid
This was mine from 2 weeks ago. Similar scenario - rear ended while stopped and the other driver didn't seem to make any effort to stop. Initial quote is $28k for the repair, and insurance is NOT considering a total loss, despite me requesting a new vehicle (it is only 8 months old). Yours looks like more side panels and glass are involved, so I would say you have a better shot at it being a write off though.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpeg
    IMG_0161.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 336
This was mine from 2 weeks ago. Similar scenario - rear ended while stopped and the other driver didn't seem to make any effort to stop. Initial quote is $28k for the repair, and insurance is NOT considering a total loss, despite me requesting a new vehicle (it is only 8 months old). Yours looks like more side panels and glass are involved, so I would say you have a better shot at it being a write off though.
interesting. thanks for sharing. I will update on mine as i find out more.

Insurance laws are also different from state to state, and some like Wisconsin will declare a total loss of 50% of ACV. Others, like Ohio are as high as 70%.

Even worse, some states (like NJ here) use a total loss formula. Basically, if the cost of repairs + salvage value of the vehicle is less than the ACV, it’s not a total loss. Really sucks - we’re north of $16k in damage and 2 1/2 months wait time on my wife’s Enclave after a deer jumped in front of it, with no end in sight. I don’t want the car back - I’d MUCH rather they had totaled it; this is going to cost me $10k++. And no diminished value as the deer didn’t have insurance. :)