Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 totaled

totaled?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad you were able to get into the new car (welcome to the P life!)

FYI, I was able to get compensation for my tinting when mine was totaled, so hopefully you're asking for that in your demand.

As I have mentioned before, since I owe more on the car than it will be worth, any aditional value I get them to add for things like acceleration boost, tint, chrome delete, etc will just decrease the amount that the gap coverage pays. It will have no benefit at all to my pocket in order to help get replacement onto the new vehicle. Awesome thought though, just does not work for me :(

As I have mentioned before, since I owe more on the car than it will be worth, any aditional value I get them to add for things like acceleration boost, tint, chrome delete, etc will just decrease the amount that the gap coverage pays. It will have no benefit at all to my pocket in order to help get replacement onto the new vehicle. Awesome thought though, just does not work for me :(
Good to hear everything worked out in your favor. I also purchased gap coverage with my loan and in my opinion it’s a great idea financially especially if you’re “upside down” with a loan and what you owe and car gets totaled.

Good to hear everything worked out in your favor. I also purchased gap coverage with my loan and in my opinion it’s a great idea financially especially if you’re “upside down” with a loan and what you owe and car gets totaled.
ya, little nervous still about it as USAA stopped offering it but Allstate said the new vehicle protection includes gap coverage so went with it. will update once everything goes through as well.

Reactions: C141medic
thanks. I thought all the LR AWD were suppose to be 322 after that last update a few months back that gave 5% boost to range and performance. I even remember Elon twitter about it etc.

There is a set of aftermarket Aero wheels from Fastwheels.ca called the EV01. I am thinking of ordering them. https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=ev01(+)&fn=titanium

CanadaWheels.ca - Your Experts in Wheels, Tires & Auto Parts if in US. apparently need to order from this link.
I'd go with the Tesla 19" Gemini wheels. They're aero wheels that seem to be at least as efficient as the 18" aeros, and they come with winter tires in the Tesla package.
Model 3 19” Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Sorry for not posting on Monday but late monday afternoon they finally came back and said since the at-fault insurance company decided to total it, we will go ahead and total it even though we find it is repairable to "do right by you". I had to state that I would of liked to have mine back as it wouldn't cost me any out of pocket like me having to get a new one will, however I did not want to wait weeks or a month for them to just come back and total it. And the fact that since the other company totaled it on their end, that ended my diminished value claim and unlimited rental car.

While losing the tint and such hurt, at the end of the day, you come out way ahead this way! Congratulations! As someone else mentioned, now you get the $3750 PLUS $1875 tax credits. Those help at least pay for some of the tint, etc.

You're way better off with it being totaled though; trust me. I've got a sob story of my own. My wife's Enclave ingested a deer in October. Vehicle's ACV is $32k, but the repairs are only $16k, so nowhere near totaling out. (The adjusted told me this morning $26k was the total loss threshold...) So it's been sitting since October waiting for parts. Finally came in earlier this week, so now they can start work and hopefully I'll have it back by end of January. As long as nothing else is damaged. Maybe.

Problem is, once I get it back, the value of the repaired vehicle plummets down to $23k at the high end. So, banged up and damaged, it's worth $9k more than once it's been repaired. Completely warped, but this is the net effect of Carfax.

I'm going to take it in the shorts on this one, big time... and not a $!&($! thing I can do about it. Hopefully it drives well, because we're going to hang on to it to drive until the wheels come off. Unfortunately I'm afraid they might. :-/

In NJ, it can also work the other way at weird times - if the salvage value is high because your particular car's parts are in demand, they can declare your car a total loss unexpectedly and give you the cash (but this is unlikely for a newish vehicle.)

Example:
Car's current value (before accident):$10k.
Cost to repair: $2k.
Car's salvage value: $8500.

They can total the car, give you $10k, collect $8500, it cost them $1500 instead of $2000. If they collect a deductible from you on the $10k, they do even better.

This may not be what you want, at the time!

Reactions: dmurphy
In NJ, it can also work the other way at weird times - if the salvage value is high because your particular car's parts are in demand, they can declare your car a total loss unexpectedly and give you the cash (but this is unlikely for a newish vehicle.)

Example:
Car's current value (before accident):$10k.
Cost to repair: $2k.
Car's salvage value: $8500.

They can total the car, give you $10k, collect $8500, it cost them $1500 instead of $2000. If they collect a deductible from you on the $10k, they do even better.

This may not be what you want, at the time!

Oh sure, and the gap between repair and totaling the vehicle gets much narrower the older the vehicle gets. In my case, it's only 2 years old - right as I've already eaten the initial huge depreciation hit, now I take another one because of the deer guts. The real loser here is Tesla, because it means any thought I have of replacing the Buick with a Model X just kinda went out the window.