Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now a good time for a new model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Model S yesterday and I can't stay out of the car. It is just a joy to drive. Once they returned the Free Supercharging it was a no brainer. There is always going to be a new and improved around the corner but then when that comes out there will be another new and approved past that. If you shopped with the mindset you will never buy it. It could be 4 years before they make a big change, and with the Y coming out next year I cannot see them introducing anything new to interfere with those sales. If you can do it and you like the car then do it!

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was on the fence too...for 3 years. I then realized what a fool I’ve been and that I’ll always be waiting for whatever is coming next when I could be enjoying one of the best cars on the road. With the new Raven, the drop in pricing, the free ludicrous with the Performance, and now the free lifetime supercharging...I decided to pull the trigger. Just got my VIN this morning! But alas, the improvements will keep coming every quarter and I’m now fine with that. After Elon said “no” to a refresh and then commented that the current S is vastly superior to the previous years versions...that too was good enough for me. Also, to echo what someone else said - if there are some modifications like interior changes, there will almost certainly be a breaking in period with challenges that personally - I’d rather wait until those are ironed out than experience first hand. And don’t forget that Tesla is really focused on 3, Y, and the pick up. With S and X making up an increasingly smaller % of their sales, there’s less incentive to make significant changes at this time. Just do it. Pull the trigger and enjoy it! (and don’t forget the cost of FSD goes up in the next 24 hrs). My 2 cents.

I'm with you, I just placed my order today, figure might as well get in line, have an order set while the prices are where they are... while white is still free, while free supercharging still exists. 4-6 weeks production, have plenty of time to change my order should something come down the pipes with their pricing or options.

There is talking of a looming refresh and of course Elon denied it saying only 'mintor changes' would roll forward. But do you guys think this is a good time for a new model S? I plan on most likely getting the performance just so I don't have any regrets and plan to drive this car for 10+ years.

This car is also special for me since I don't buy leather products and the Tesla store said they can custom order one without leather... so it will be a very fast, high tech, powerful and beautiful car without leather. Its unlikely a lot of the upcoming EV competition will be free of leather and offer everything the model S does. This incentivizes me further to invest in a model S.

But is this the right time? Should I hang on for another couple years to see what happens with the Model S? I do wonder if they combine the LR and performance models into 1 LR performance model with a lower price tag so things become more streamlined for them.

Since the 2016 fascia refresh of the S, I'm really fine with the look of the model S, which is classic, clean, and timeless in its design. Porsche has squeezed over 50 years out of its 911 body style and nobody is complaining. As for interior changes, the S & X dual display is a must for many S and X owners, and the rumored switch to model 3-like single center display would be a step backwards for these luxury models. I just ordered a Raven S long range to replace my 2016 S90D, and not because of looks, but for the new suspension and front motor tech upgrades. As for leather seats, I like them, but Tesla's previous execution of S leather seats was not up to quality standards of its price tag. At the time of my Raven order last month, i was told by sales that Tesla no longer offers leather seats in the S & X models, it's all synthetic now.

I guess it depends on how well the current version of the car meets your needs/wants. Are there any features it lacks that, if introduced in the next year would bum you out for not having waited (opening sunroof, etc)? Personally, I have a list of about 10 things I'm waiting for. I'm fine waiting because, in its current form, there are too many downsides (for me). If they never happen, that's fine I wont' buy one.

Does any reporter survey Tesla suppliers like they do Apple’s? For example a simple one: Tesla buys vegan leather from someone. Would not one learn when red interior arrives? Of course a significant part of the tech stuff is in house, so just how much can they handle with the S when they have big projects for new vehicles?