Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a new Tesla? [Jan 2023 / April 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advice on claiming the credit using married filing separately? My wife's income is below the 150k mark and from doing some quick searches...filing separately means we can't claim some EITC / student loan credit thing which doesn't apply.

The standard deduction between a couple vs sum of two individuals is the same if I am not mistaken. So the only drawback I see is more of my income will be taxed at the higher tax bracket. Not sure if that means I will have to pay $7500 more income tax...gotta crunch the numbers.

Anything else I should consider in this scenario?

I ordered the MY LR on 1/14 and my delivery is scheduled on 2/17. That means I got on the price for $52,900 and will get the $7500 tax credit. But I decided to cancel my order. I used to own a Model 3. We swapped it for an EV6 last year when used car prices were great. After careful consideration and weighing in all factors we decided that having 2 EVs in the household really is not the best move for us.

The MY is fun, fast and the handling is outstanding. The drive is a bit jittery when going over rough surfaces. That is not a bad thing as some like to feel and be connected to the road. I was extremely annoyed hearing that Tesla removed the iss and radar. I even experienced the phantom braking on my test drive. I asked the rep about parking and Tesla's obligations. He said they are not legally bound to offer it in the future. He did say that they will most likely add it to the upcoming release for the basic Auto pilot; there are no guarantees, though. This did negatively influenced my decision on the purchase. Tesla should come out and state a yes or no on offering this feature.

I prefer our KIA EV6 daily drive as it handles the bumps very nicely. It is as fast as the MY but the Y seems just tad quicker when you poune on the accelerator when doing 40+ mph. If I were to put an EV together that I would want, it would be the EV6 handling, EV6 interior and User interfaces, the Model Y body and internal mechanical parts, and with the Model 3 LFP battery pack that was bumped to 330 mile range. It may not be able zoom up to 60 in 4.8 seconds but it could be constantly charge to 100% an drop it to almost 0 charge at any time. I would not have to worry about the 30%-80% charging rules. And with the little degradation of the LFP and its durability that 330 mile battery pack would be almost perfect.

As I stated in previous posts, everyone's scenario is different. If we didn't have the EV6 I would definitely would buy the MY LR. The looks and drive are outstanding. And the Supercharging network is impressive.

I ordered the MY LR on 1/14 and my delivery is scheduled on 2/17. That means I got on the price for $52,900 and will get the $7500 tax credit. But I decided to cancel my order. I used to own a Model 3. We swapped it for an EV6 last year when used car prices were great. After careful consideration and weighing in all factors we decided that having 2 EVs in the household really is not the best move for us.

The MY is fun, fast and the handling is outstanding. The drive is a bit jittery when going over rough surfaces. That is not a bad thing as some like to feel and be connected to the road. I was extremely annoyed hearing that Tesla removed the iss and radar. I even experienced the phantom braking on my test drive. I asked the rep about parking and Tesla's obligations. He said they are not legally bound to offer it in the future. He did say that they will most likely add it to the upcoming release for the basic Auto pilot; there are no guarantees, though. This did negatively influenced my decision on the purchase. Tesla should come out and state a yes or no on offering this feature.

I prefer our KIA EV6 daily drive as it handles the bumps very nicely. It is as fast as the MY but the Y seems just tad quicker when you poune on the accelerator when doing 40+ mph. If I were to put an EV together that I would want, it would be the EV6 handling, EV6 interior and User interfaces, the Model Y body and internal mechanical parts, and with the Model 3 LFP battery pack that was bumped to 330 mile range. It may not be able zoom up to 60 in 4.8 seconds but it could be constantly charge to 100% an drop it to almost 0 charge at any time. I would not have to worry about the 30%-80% charging rules. And with the little degradation of the LFP and its durability that 330 mile battery pack would be almost perfect.

As I stated in previous posts, everyone's scenario is different. If we didn't have the EV6 I would definitely would buy the MY LR. The looks and drive are outstanding. And the Supercharging network is impressive.
This is a good write up, I appreciate the perspective

This is a good write up, I appreciate the perspective
This q

It's a good writeup but no way we can compare a KIA EV6 to TESLA MYLR, basically due to the technology advantage that TESLA has. EV is all about electronics and battery since TESLA has in-house manufacturing along with the chipset which KIA is missing bigtime. Yeah do agree on the interior seat options and interior design, but again it's not like TESLA has the worst. So on a longer run would be interesting as to how EV6 would hold up.

Reactions: WyoDude
The Model3 rwd is a smokin great deal at $42,900. If I put on a lot of miles I would have locked on this Model3. It is a LFP battery pack with 272 mile range. With Fed tax credit you can get it for $37000 plus it qualifies for Oregon rebate of $2500. With LFP you can charge it up to 100% and drain it with no issues. It is a durable battery pack with little degradation.

The difference between the money save between the 3 and Y, I would just rent a car for places that require an ice vehicle

Last edited:
No doubt it is currently a great time to buy a Tesla. when you look at the Y, Elon initially lowered the price by around 19%, and if you qualify for the EV tax credit, that’s another 13.5% In savings.

if you look at typical auto depreciation rates of about 15% year over year (and yes, I realize that over the past several years the depreciation rates especially for EV’s have not followed normal trends). You are basically getting the first 2 years of ownership for nothing, assuming the pricing is going to gradually drift back up, which it already has started doing.

Reactions: RCDriver23
No doubt it is currently a great time to buy a Tesla. when you look at the Y, Elon initially lowered the price by around 19%, and if you qualify for the EV tax credit, that’s another 13.5% In savings.

if you look at typical auto depreciation rates of about 15% year over year (and yes, I realize that over the past several years the depreciation rates especially for EV’s have not followed normal trends). You are basically getting the first 2 years of ownership for nothing, assuming the pricing is going to gradually drift back up, which it already has started doing.
Absolutely good time to buy the tesla if you qualify, however I should clarify, for those of us who don’t qualify for the incentive, might as well wait. On the flip side, I suppose you could place an order now to secure current pricing and cancel if Mar. 1 has better news on upgrades and when to expect them to make your final decision. Roughly when can you cancel your order without losing deposit?

That is true but interest rates are going to be 10% for excellent credit, so no savings there!!

Absolutely good time to buy the tesla if you qualify, however I should clarify, for those of us who don’t qualify for the incentive, might as well wait. On the flip side, I suppose you could place an order now to secure current pricing and cancel if Mar. 1 has better news on upgrades and when to expect them to make your final decision. Roughly when can you cancel your order without losing deposit?
Unfortunately, the $250 deposit is nonrefundable.

Reactions: GoVols!
I don’t know how much more in pricing is going to go up. If for tax credit from federal government, I don’t think it will end anytime soon.

It did suck that I had to pay $400 for the charger, $750 for install (which I m hoping to some state ev charger install credit), just so I can pay to charge at home.

I don’t know how much more in pricing is going to go up. If for tax credit from federal government, I don’t think it will end anytime soon.

It did suck that I had to pay $400 for the charger, $750 for install (which I m hoping to some state ev charger install credit), just so I can pay to charge at home.
If your state doesn't there's still a federal tax credit to help offset the cost. Did you not expect to have to pay for the charging setup at home? That's a lot better than using superchargers and you never have to go to gas stations so.......

If your state doesn't there's still a federal tax credit to help offset the cost. Did you not expect to have to pay for the charging setup at home? That's a lot better than using superchargers and you never have to go to gas stations so.......
No I knew there needed a charger at home. I did not know about federal tax credit on the charger install. Isn’t going to a super charger like going to a gas station?

No I knew there needed a charger at home. I did not know about federal tax credit on the charger install. Isn’t going to a super charger like going to a gas station?
Not really, no. People who need gas don’t have the option of a much less expensive fuel up nightly in their own garage as you do now with your home charger. Supercharger use is normally only for long trips, not for day to day use.

Reactions: Dale_L
Sorry for posting this in multiple threads, but there is a lot of cross-talk these days. Looks like HW4 is now on Model S and X per ev-cpo.com - you can search for new Ses and Xes and see several now show to have HW4 - these look to have been released for sale last night. Per the interwebs, these will have the UPDATED cameras (i.e. higher res, different viewing angles, etc.) but no additional cameras. They will also have the new computer....no word on the radar. As expected, no HW4 showing up on 3/Y yet.

Sorry for posting this in multiple threads, but there is a lot of cross-talk these days. Looks like HW4 is now on Model S and X per ev-cpo.com - you can search for new Ses and Xes and see several now show to have HW4 - these look to have been released for sale last night. Per the interwebs, these will have the UPDATED cameras (i.e. higher res, different viewing angles, etc.) but no additional cameras. They will also have the new computer....no word on the radar. As expected, no HW4 showing up on 3/Y yet.
Listing say “V2 Radar Fitted”

Reactions: cab