Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is one pedal driving with regenerative braking possible in model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: do the EV's that do come to a full stop using just the accelerator pedal (new Leaf, Bolt, i3...) use some sort of automated friction braking for stopping from very slow speed?

The answer I am guessing is yes, but the question was asking about the ability to come to a stop, because I think it is a great feature. I have taken a test drive in both the Bolt and the new Leaf, and found that while driving in the city, especially in traffic, the one pedal thing was a very natural and comfortable way to drive. The automatic transmission refined driving by eliminating the clutch pedal. During my test drive of those cars, it seemed to me that the one pedal driving feature has refined slightly the automatic transmission by eliminating the need to use the break pedal each time you move ahead a few feet, or a few miles. My curiosity was whether or not the Model 3 worked the same. Thanks @Boourns.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
The answer I am guessing is yes, but the question was asking about the ability to come to a stop, because I think it is a great feature. I have taken a test drive in both the Bolt and the new Leaf, and found that while driving in the city, especially in traffic, the one pedal thing was a very natural and comfortable way to drive. The automatic transmission refined driving by eliminating the clutch pedal. During my test drive of those cars, it seemed to me that the one pedal driving feature has refined slightly the automatic transmission by eliminating the need to use the break pedal each time you move ahead a few feet, or a few miles. My curiosity was whether or not the Model 3 worked the same. Thanks @Boourns.
Do those EVs that regen to a full stop have creep? One would think that creep and full one-pedal driving would be mutually exclusive.

I drive with creep off, because I prefer the car act more like a manual transmission. I also leverage gravity to roll the car back when adjusting in a parking space (if terrain allows) instead of switching into reverse, same as one might in a manual transmission. I could get used to it, but I actually prefer it the way it is.

Do those EVs that regen to a full stop have creep? One would think that creep and full one-pedal driving would be mutually exclusive.

I am not 100% sure, but it seems to me I read somewhere that one if not all of then do. I didn't really think to play around with all of that during the test-drive, but the one pedal thing as I have already said came naturally to me. The problem is I have no way to test-drive a Model 3 yet, so i rely on the good people here to provide the insight. Thanks for yours.

Question: do the EV's that do come to a full stop using just the accelerator pedal (new Leaf, Bolt, i3...) use some sort of automated friction braking for stopping from very slow speed?

No, I don’t believe so, although they probably have physical brake assist for park or hill hold.
My understanding is it is a result of using a PM electric motor. The motor (or generator when under regen mode) continues working all the way to a full stop. Induction motors do not.

No, I don’t believe so, although they probably have physical brake assist for park or hill hold.
My understanding is it is a result of using a PM electric motor. The motor (or generator when under regen mode) continues working all the way to a full stop. Induction motors do not.
Except the Model 3 has a PM motor...

• Informative
Reactions: cizUK
In the interest of continuing this thread, a little off-topic but, the BMW i3 uses the friction brakes to mimic regen whenever regen is not available (when the battery is cold-soaked or it's fully charged). Also, I feel like the car uses the motor for hill hold and not the brakes. If I stop in the middle of my driveway, the car does not roll backwards, but if I touch the brakes slightly, it starts to roll-back slightly which makes me think it's the motor holding it there.

One other interesting note, even more off-topic (sorry @tomas), the Model S/X motor does have a slight hold built-in (very slight). For example, if you're sitting on ground that is ever so slightly uphill (typical house garage) with the car in drive, it won't roll-backwards. If you put it in neutral, the car will start to roll backwards. So, when in "D", it seems that the motor is getting some kind of power.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
One other interesting note, even more off-topic (sorry @tomas), the Model S/X motor does have a slight hold built-in (very slight). For example, if you're sitting on ground that is ever so slightly uphill (typical house garage) with the car in drive, it won't roll-backwards. If you put it in neutral, the car will start to roll backwards. So, when in "D", it seems that the motor is getting some kind of power.
Are you sure that's not either creep or the brake hold keeping it in place? I have creep disabled and when I first put mine into gear, the brake doesn't release until I press the accelerator. If I stop in my driveway in drive or reverse and disengage the brake hold, it rolls down slope.

Are you sure that's not either creep or the brake hold keeping it in place? I have creep disabled and when I first put mine into gear, the brake doesn't release until I press the accelerator. If I stop in my driveway in drive or reverse and disengage the brake hold, it rolls down slope.

Definitely not creep or hill-hold. If I'm sitting in my garage in "D" with no brake or hill-hold, the car will stay-put. If I put it in "N", it starts to roll-backwards.

Your post was not about the bolt. It was about the 3. You asked a specific question. There is a definitive answer. End thread!
Hi tomas, how are you? As you can see, I have just recently joined this forum. Thanks for the welcome. You are right though, my original question was about the Model 3. My response to your post was about the way you were telling me to end the thread, as if to imply your satisfaction and interpretation of what is a definitive answer should indicate when the thread can end. I just thought it was a little rude is all, especially if someone else was interested in adding anything. Thanks everyone for all your input here, I am learning more about the Model 3 every day.

• Helpful
Reactions: goto10 and DR61
Welcome to the forum. There have been 101 threads about regenerative braking, and the same discussions about merits of comparative approaches. I’ve witnessed them all, so that made me testy to see another. Unfortunately, the organization, sheer volume, and poor search technology of the forum makes it difficult for new members to find these 101 threads. OTOH, some folks never bother to search, they just start a thread. Which I guess is fine, but in 5 years you’ll maybe be like me.