Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is premium paint more durable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a lot of post about Tesla paint chipping or scratching, seemingly more easily than the owners would have expected. I have the Red Ultra, which is an upgrade and, as I understand it, a thicker coat of paint.

I'm wondering if it's more durable than standard paint. I tend to wash it more often than previous cars I've owned so I'm wondering if I should take it easy.

As I've now read in other threads here and elsewhere, the Ultra Red was referred to as a triple-coat (whereas others were double) so it should be more durable. I'd hope that there's some practical advantage beyond the aesthetics, considering the $2K up-charge.

My color is tri-coat red. When you get a rock chip or scratch it will be showing the under coat of white. And the front bumper will show black. Sorry to burst your bubble. Like my car the Red was an extra $2000, but I don't think it's any more durable than any of the other Tesla's paint jobs.
No bubble bursted -- it's worth the $$ just for the color and finish -- I was largely curious to know if it was more or less likely to show car wash scratches and if I should cut back on how often I go. I'll just go as often as I think it needs to be cleaned until I see a reason not to.

Paint that shows car wash scratches is often due to color than other factors.

My "free" pearl white paint shows no car wash scratches. Mostly due to the color. A black car, on the other hand, will show lots of fine scratches.