Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Suntek PPF just as good as XPel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@DCEV which film and installer did you end up using?

I am also on the DC area and going through this same comparison for my Model 3 so wanted to ask how your experience has been?

After months of research, I selected SunTek Ultra Defense. It's SunTek's newest film that they just released this year and it is significantly thicker/stronger than the previous generation of film at 11.5 mils. Ultra Defense is technically designed for the most vulnerable parts of the car, such as the front bumper and hood, but I wanted the best possible protection so I opted for SunTek Ultra Defense for the entire car.

I along with @stallhorn visited all the PPF shops in the DC area to find the best shop to install PPF on my Model S and @stallhorn’s Model X. I am paranoid and research everything so I had tons of questions and concerns. The only shop that addressed all my questions/concerns in a satisfactory way and offered the most reasonable quote for a quality install is TLC Auto Detail.

We dealt directly with Dave the owner of TLC Auto Detail. He addressed all my concerns and offered a fair price for a full wrap of both of our Teslas with SunTek Ultra Defense. His PPF installer John Perdue is a master craftsman with great attention to detail. They don't use a plotter as everything is custom and bulk wrapped with wrapped edges. He offered complimentary Modesta ceramic coating of our wheels and all the glass and is offering the same to anyone on the Tesla Forum by asking for the Tesla Forum Rate.

TLC AUTO DETAIL
106 Oakgrove Rd. Suite L, Dulles, VA 20166
[email protected]
703.962.7106 | TLC Auto Detail | Auto Detailing for Chantilly, VA

I have more details about my thought process in selecting SunTek Ultra defense and the working with TLC Detail on the following thread:

SunTek/Ultra Defense Paint Protection Film (PPF) Group Buy in NOVA/DC - TLC Auto Detail

Here are some photos of how the full PPF install turned out, and as you can see, they did such a great job that you can't tell the car has full PPF coverage from even 2 feet away. This is especially impressive for a film as thick as Ultra Defense as it is thicker so working with it requires more skill and time.

I see both SunTek and TLC Detail have supported the TMC Forum as Vendors in the past, but I have no financial incentive or connection to either company other than being a very satisfied customer. The whole PPF/installer research process took me months of effort so I just wanted to share what I learned.

1572296611191_DSC_0437.jpg
1572296611239_DSC_0440.jpg
1572296611383_DSC_0443.jpg
1572296611440_DSC_0444.jpg
1572296611487_DSC_0445.jpg
1572296611537_DSC_0446.jpg
DSC08411.JPG
DSC08418.JPG
DSC08423.JPG
DSC08424.JPG

Last edited:
After months of research, I selected SunTek Ultra Defense. It's SunTek's newest film that they just released this year and it is significantly thicker/stronger than the previous generation of film at 11.5 mils. Ultra Defense is technically designed for the most vulnerable parts of the car, such as the front bumper and hood, but I wanted the best possible protection so I opted for SunTek Ultra Defense for the entire car.

I along with @stallhorn visited all the PPF shops in the DC area to find the best shop to install PPF on my Model S and @stallhorn’s Model X. I am paranoid and research everything so I had tons of questions and concerns. The only shop that addressed all my questions/concerns in a satisfactory way and offered the most reasonable quote for a quality install is TLC Auto Detail.

We dealt directly with Dave the owner of TLC Auto Detail. He addressed all my concerns and offered a fair price for a full wrap of both of our Teslas with SunTek Ultra Defense. His PPF installer John Perdue is a master craftsman with great attention to detail. They don't use a plotter as everything is custom and bulk wrapped with wrapped edges. He offered complimentary Modesta ceramic coating of our wheels and all the glass and is offering the same to anyone on the Tesla Forum by asking for the Tesla Forum Rate.

TLC AUTO DETAIL
106 Oakgrove Rd. Suite L, Dulles, VA 20166
[email protected]
703.962.7106 | TLC Auto Detail | Auto Detailing for Chantilly, VA

I have more details about my thought process in selecting SunTek Ultra defense and the working with TLC Detail on the following thread:

SunTek/Ultra Defense Paint Protection Film (PPF) Group Buy in NOVA/DC - TLC Auto Detail

Here are some photos of how the full PPF install turned out, and as you can see, they did such a great job that you can't tell the car has full PPF coverage from even 2 feet away. This is especially impressive for a film as thick as Ultra Defense as it is thicker so working with it requires more skill and time.

I see both SunTek and TLC Detail have supported the TMC Forum as Vendors in the past, but I have no financial incentive or connection to either company other than being a very satisfied customer. The whole PPF/installer research process took me months of effort so I just wanted to share what I learned.

View attachment 475678 View attachment 475679 View attachment 475680 View attachment 475682 View attachment 475683 View attachment 475684 View attachment 475685 View attachment 475686 View attachment 475687 View attachment 475688

Thanks for taking all the time to research PPF options. I'll give Dave at TLC a call when I'm in the DC area to discuss an appointment. Hopefully he can do a full wrap in a week.

I appreciate all the photos but I have never seen a car covered in Ultra Defense in person. All the SunTek wraps I have seen are of their standard 'Ultra" product, Any way I can see your car in person? I know you said Ultra Defense is thicker but I want to make sure it is super clear and glossy in person. If I could see your car for 5 minutes that would be awesome and I'm happy to treat you to lunch :)

@DCEV thanks for the reply. I've been calling installers too and coincidentally had a very long, detailed conversation with David about a Suntek installation. I've also narrowed down to Suntek Ultra and looking to now just settle on a shop. David was definitely very patient of all my questions which I appreciated. To be fair to the other shops that I called, most of them were also quite responsive detailing various aspects of the process to answer my questions.

I got a sense that it boils down to the shop and installer. Both PPF products appear to be equally good in getting the job done.

I'm guessing you went with the 7-10 year Modesta coating vs the 3 year one?

@DCEV thanks for the reply. I've been calling installers too and coincidentally had a very long, detailed conversation with David about a Suntek installation. I've also narrowed down to Suntek Ultra and looking to now just settle on a shop. David was definitely very patient of all my questions which I appreciated. To be fair to the other shops that I called, most of them were also quite responsive detailing various aspects of the process to answer my questions.

I got a sense that it boils down to the shop and installer. Both PPF products appear to be equally good in getting the job done.

I'm guessing you went with the 7-10 year Modesta coating vs the 3 year one?

If you've narrowed down to SunTek Ultra, you should really also consider their newer (IMHO better) product SunTek Ultra Defense. It offers better protection with a 40% thicker film while still being super glassy and transparent. This is especially better for the front bumper and hood.

I agree that all the other shops also seem to be quite nice but my experience was that when I discussed some of my concerns and the cost some of the other shops weren't as accommodating as Dave at TLC Detail. In fact Dave is the only detailer that alleviated all of my concerns and even went as far as emailing me to promise they will not cut or damage my paint in any way and should that happen they will be responsible for fixing it.

Dave at TLC Detail was also reasonable with the cost. Granted I ended up spending a lot more than I had initially budgeted, but Dave worked with me to figure out a reasonable cost for wrapping the entire car when I had initially thought about wrapping just the front. The complimentary ceramic coating of the glass and wheels is also something that no one else offered.

The ceramic coating on the glass is a nice luxury by the way. I have now driven the car in several days of rain and muck and it's crazy how clear the glass is. Never knew what I was missing by not having the glass coated. At speeds of around 40mph or higher, it's crazy how I barely need to use the wipers anymore. Rain just dances away from the ceramic coating.

I think what I have is the 2-3 year Modesta BC04 Ceramic Coating. I figured I can always "top it off" in a few years if needed.

Reactions: stallhorn
If you've narrowed down to SunTek Ultra, you should really also consider their newer (IMHO better) product SunTek Ultra Defense. It offers better protection with a 40% thicker film while still being super glassy and transparent. This is especially better for the front bumper and hood.

I agree that all the other shops also seem to be quite nice but my experience was that when I discussed some of my concerns and the cost some of the other shops weren't as accommodating as Dave at TLC Detail. In fact Dave is the only detailer that alleviated all of my concerns and even went as far as emailing me to promise they will not cut or damage my paint in any way and should that happen they will be responsible for fixing it.

Dave at TLC Detail was also reasonable with the cost. Granted I ended up spending a lot more than I had initially budgeted, but Dave worked with me to figure out a reasonable cost for wrapping the entire car when I had initially thought about wrapping just the front. The complimentary ceramic coating of the glass and wheels is also something that no one else offered.

The ceramic coating on the glass is a nice luxury by the way. I have now driven the car in several days of rain and muck and it's crazy how clear the glass is. Never knew what I was missing by not having the glass coated. At speeds of around 40mph or higher, it's crazy how I barely need to use the wipers anymore. Rain just dances away from the ceramic coating.

I think what I have is the 2-3 year Modesta BC04 Ceramic Coating. I figured I can always "top it off" in a few years if needed.

Are there on video comparisons between the performance difference of Suntek Ultra Defense and Ultra?

Are there on video comparisons between the performance difference of Suntek Ultra Defense and Ultra?

@SunTek do you have any video comparisons showing the difference between SunTek Ultra and SunTek Ultra defense?

I have not seen any demonstrations of the capabilities between the two films but I can tell you that Ultra Defense is a substantially thicker film.My biggest concern was that it would not be as clear and glossy as Ultra but I was happy to see how super clear and glossy it is.

@SunTek do you have any video comparisons showing the difference between SunTek Ultra and SunTek Ultra defense?

I have not seen any demonstrations of the capabilities between the two films but I can tell you that Ultra Defense is a substantially thicker film.My biggest concern was that it would not be as clear and glossy as Ultra but I was happy to see how super clear and glossy it is.

I'm getting ready for having PPF done for most if not all of the car.

@SunTek - Any news about a video showing the benefits of Ultra Defense PPF over regular PPF?

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I'm getting ready for having PPF done for most if not all of the car.

@SunTek - Any news about a video showing the benefits of Ultra Defense PPF over regular PPF?

PhilDavid,

While we don't have any videos to demonstrate the differences, our new XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS 10mil is 2mils thicker than our standard ULTIMATE PLUS film and will be excellent for the front bumper, rocker panels, rear-wheel impact areas, or for the entire car if you wish.

There are some great installers in the Philadelphia area for you to consider. XPEL Installers Near Philadelphia

Hi PhilDavid,
There is no difference in appearance of the "gloss look" between our Ultra Defense and Ultra products. I have seen them side by side on many cars. Here are a couple of videos we did for PPF consumer awareness and the added benefits of our SunTek Ultra Defense. The first is showing it installed on Ian Poulter's Porsche GT2RS and the second shows areas to consider applying Ultra Defense to because they are higher impact areas.

Also attached is a PDF version of our SunTek Ultra Defense Brochure in case you want to read more about the product benefits.

I have reached out to one of our SunTek Dealers in your area as well. Sam at Maestro Detailers will be able to answer any additonal questions you may have. His number is 267-474-8947 if you want to reach out.

I hope this all helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• SunTek-PPFUltraDefense-Brochure.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 89
I was told by authorized dealer of both... actually the suntek dealer was right across the street, but the main difference i saw was these:

1. Suntek has a less of a orange peal look sometimes, but if your car is slightly covered in dust, it not noticible.
2. Xpel Ultimate (which i have) is thicker, hence the orange peal look, but thicker to me sounds like it can take more punishment.
3. Xpel i was told if done though an authorized vendor has best warranty support. If for any reason it fails to stick, they will replace it faster then you can say OMGWTFBBQ.

I got my Xpel done by Dean at Sticker City.
He told me Suntek is great, its like bullet proof, but Xpel Ultimate is on a completely other level.

@XPEL
Here is a video done by one of your authorized vendors, which i am a customer of, and were very professional.

I think i may try suntek on my next car, but i think i will most likely stick with Xpel Ultimate on my really expensive ones, as it has saved me a few times from scratches.

• Love
Reactions: XPEL
I think i may try suntek on my next car, but i think i will most likely stick with Xpel Ultimate on my really expensive ones, as it has saved me a few times from scratches.
FWIW, Suntek has been fine on my S for seven years now. Satisfaction depends on whether the installer did a good job or not. There's a much art as there is science, so be sure you see cars that the installer has done (the actual person going to do the job, not just done by the company).

Reactions: SunTek

How do you wash your car? Rinse less car wash?

I have Suntek Ultra. Entire car is wrapped and they did an awesome job. The installers I used prefer Suntek so I went with it. My paint is super glossy, really stands out. No tears after 2 months.
Cool. The only thing I wish is that there would be coloured PPF. If you want something other than the OE colours, having both a wrap and PPF is wasteful.

I have researched three brands of PPF....Xpel, 3M Scotchgard Pro and Suntek.....last July I did my wife new Model 3 (Blue) with Xpel and Xpel Fusion plus ceramic coating.....it looks great and have had no issues

I am so happy with hers I am going to do my Model S with Xpel Ultimate and use Miyabi ceramic coat as a base layer and then put ZiPang for a top coat ceramic coat.....and the glass

I almost went with 3M because I used their 3M Crystalline on my windows and both cars are great.....I think it is a matter of personal preference and that most of the products today are very close in specifications dn warranty.......3M is 7-10 years and Xpel is 10 years....both have self-healing and very little orange peel....

So do your research and see which one fits your budget.....I am sure you will like whatever you decide

Reactions: XPEL