Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla closer than we think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New guy here planning to order an M3 Long Range AWD this week. Looking for some advice regarding ordering the FSD computer at this time for $10,000. Do the knowledgeable folks here recommend buying it now, or waiting until the FSD progresses in the next 2 years? Thank you for your advice.

Probably wait to see what the subscription price is. Unless you have extra money such that 10k isn't that big a deal.

Your car should already come with the fsd chip standard. The fsd option only enables it from the software, so you're paying 10k for the software only. All Teslas come standard with all the fsd hardware.

No. Waymo hopes to eventually get rid of all remote operators. Waymo is improving the software until eventually the cars can handle everything and they won't need any remote operators at all.
You seem to have very specific information about all the wonderful things that Waymo is doing, while speculating what Tesla is not doing.

And arguments are growing more defensive.

I prefer to see what Tesla delivers in V9 compared to limited Waymo before getting all jiggy with it.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd and NHK X
Probably wait to see what the subscription price is. Unless you have extra money such that 10k isn't that big a deal.

Your car should already come with the fsd chip standard. The fsd option only enables it from the software, so you're paying 10k for the software only. All Teslas come standard with all the fsd hardware.
Thanks for that info. So there would not be a necessary hardware upgrade later, only a subscription price to flip an OTA “switch” ?

Karpathy says something similar at 23:06 in this video:

Personally, I don't know how close Tesla is to Level 4 in an absolute sense, but I think most people vastly underestimate Tesla's relative advantage to other players like Waymo and Cruise. Tesla has 1 million+ drivers generating labelled data every day. The data is automatically curated so that only the most novel, interesting, valuable examples get uploaded. This is a colossal advantage. It enables Tesla to do what other companies just fundamentally can't do.

Per Karpathy:

Again as others have pointed out. If this "colossal advantage" and "insurmontable immense lead" as you previously described were real. We would have seen it deployed features. Yet after 6 years, 6 years. We have not seen even one quantification.

You can't even quantify it, all you do is repeat the same thing that others have been saying since 2016.

All we know is that in 2016, Tesla had a safety disengagement of 3 miles which was safety disengagement per drive.
In 2019, during the Autonomy Day test drives, multiple people had safety disengagement in their drivers. So they were still at safety disengagement per drive (~5 miles).
In 2021, with FSD Beta on city streets, the average safety disengagement based on the uploaded videos is around 1-5 miles. So still safety disengagement per drive.

So 5 years and they are still stuck at a safety disengagement per drive. This is after the supposed "billions of miles data advantage".
This isn't failures due to some hard edge case you see every million miles as @Tam has pointed out. This is daily normal driving.

The problem is that you look at everything in a Tesla vaccum. You are not looking at what others are doing.
Yet in acouple months there will 2 door to door system operating in urban environment orders of magnitude more complex to drive in than the US.

One from Huawei called Advanced Autopilot that will work anywhere in China and will be on the 2021 BAIC Arcfox Alpha S.
Huawei says they are better than Tesla because they can already go 1,000 KM without safety disengagement and they drive in environments orders of magnitude more harder than SF. But shouldn't this be impossible? How can huawei create a general FSD solution using 500 test cars? I thought you needs 10,000 then 100,000 then 1 million (soon it will be 2 million because its whatever Tesla has/doing that matters right?)

史上最强自动驾驶首试,华为自动驾驶极狐中国城市道路体验,远超美国特斯拉China vs USA, Huawei's automatic driving more powerful than Tesla

The other from Mobileye called Supervision that works anywhere in the World. It will be on the Zeekr 001.

You seem to have very specific information about all the wonderful things that Waymo is doing, while speculating what Tesla is not doing.

And arguments are growing more defensive.

I prefer to see what Tesla delivers in V9 compared to limited Waymo before getting all jiggy with it.

I've researched a lot about Waymo, that's why. I am very impressed with their FSD technology. Yes, it is geofenced (L4) but it is true FSD. The human does not need to pay attention. The human can be a passenger in the back seat and the Waymo will drive you safely to your destination. So yeah, I get excited about Waymo's FSD.

I think we are all speculating about Tesla's FSD because we don't have V9 yet. Nobody knows yet how good or bad it will be.

As a Tesla owner with FSD, I would love nothing more than for V9 to be L4 and for Tesla to remove the nags and announce that we don't need to pay attention anymore, like Waymo. But I am skeptical that will happen, especially since Tesla already told the CA DMV that it won't happen. But I am really looking forward to V9. I hope V9 will be great.

Are you trolling?

A look in this section, and how active this user has been on this topic and this section (and pretty much only this section) would show, that no, they are not trolling, simply "highly engaged" on this topic.

When I saw this topic, in this section, I said to myself "I ,know exactly which posters will reply to this, and what the discussion will look like" and for the most part, my guess was pretty spot on.

From The New York Times (March 2017):

“So far the drive to create digital maps has been slow. Google’s former self-driving car division — now a company called Waymo — has created maps for roads around its headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., and a handful of other cities, including Austin, Tex., and Kirkland, Wash.​
Waymo creates the maps by driving around cars equipped with spinning lidar units mounted on their roofs that shoot out laser beams, creating images of the road and the surroundings. Human engineers, in a time-consuming process, then go over the images and tag the objects that are found, like stop signs, buildings, stoplights and do-not-enter signs.“​

Way to go using a quote from 4 years ago. 4 YEARS AGO.
Imagine If I used a quote from 4 years ago to describ what Tesla was currently doing.

Here Dmitri Dolgov shuts down Lex Fridman after he tried to push the ML (vision) vs Lidar nonsense which you see alot in the TSLA community.
And he says "There is no part of our system that does not heavily leverage data driven development or SOTA ML whether its mapping, simulator, perception, prediction, decision making..."

I've researched a lot about Waymo, that's why. I am very impressed with their FSD technology. Yes, it is geofenced (L4) but it is true FSD. The human does not need to pay attention. The human can be a passenger in the back seat and the Waymo will drive you safely to your destination. So yeah, I get excited about Waymo's FSD.

I think we are all speculating about Tesla's FSD because we don't have V9 yet. Nobody knows yet how good or bad it will be.

As a Tesla owner with FSD, I would love nothing more than for V9 to be L4 and for Tesla to remove the nags and announce that we don't need to pay attention anymore, like Waymo. But I am skeptical that will happen, especially since Tesla already told the CA DMV that it won't happen. But I am really looking forward to V9. I hope V9 will be great.
You're assuming it will be L4. I don't have such fantasies, but I believe L2+/L3- is very much nigh.

You're assuming it will be L4. I don't have such fantasies, but I believe L2+/L3- is very much nigh.

I am not assuming FSD Beta V9 will be L4. I said I would love it if it were but I am not expecting that. I am expecting FSD Beta V9 to be L2 (Technically, you are not allowed to use + or - for the SAE levels). Although, I do think NOA on the highway could be L3 soon.

It should not be surprising — it should be obvious — that L4 in a highly constrained environment with lots of crutches is a much easier problem than L4 in the wild, with basically no constraints.

For Tesla to achieve human-level L4 driving with their FSD software would be a vastly larger technical achievement than getting to human-level L4 driving within Waymo’s constraints.

It’s not clear to me which is more difficult: making a driverless robot work in Waymo’s playpen or making an L2 robot work in the wild. It’s possible they’re about equally difficult.

What we cannot accept as sound reasoning is that L4, irrespective of constraints, is better or more impressive or more advanced than L2 in the wild simply because 4 is a higher number than 2. That is folly.

Waymo’s technology could not support an L2 system in the wild because it depends on crutches that Waymo only has within its playpen. If you stripped away the crutches and forced Waymo employees to re-develop the software for L2, I reckon you’d (eventually) end up with something comparable to FSD Beta.

Conversely, if you took Tesla’s technology and built a playpen for it in Arizona with all the same crutches Waymo uses, I bet you’d eventually end up with something comparable to Waymo’s driverless proof of concept.

This is simply not true as have been proven, Tesla fails on the most simplest driving situation. You act like Phoenix is some cornered off box in the middle of no where. That it is not the "real world" or the "wild". Yet this is the same location that has 19 million tourist visitors every year. So clearly the system is robust and general unless these people/cars are in danger. Waymo would be a manice to society with all these millions of people going to phoenix from around the world that Waymo has to interact with. Waymo cars encounters these people and vehicles it hasn't seen before on a daily basis. Phoenix, Cali has 19/42 million visitors from all over the country and the world each year. If Waymo's perception system was brittle, each of those people are in danger of being killed/totaled.

Look at the gif below (there are hundreds of other simple situations like that where FSD Beta fail at and this occurs multiple times in a SINGLE drive). If what you said was true. IF i took this vehicle that FSD Beta was about to ram into because it didn't detect it, into phoenix and parked it. The driverless waymo should ram into it.

We can infer that Waymo has driven 100k+ miles with no driver in Phoenix. We know that humans don't shape shift when they drive to other cities. This is actually very important. Your cars don't transform like autobots. Again very important. This allows Waymo's NN to generalize.

71EGPy.gif

If anything is going to break through the challenges in perception, prediction, and planning that continue to confound AVs, it will be the application of new approaches or new advances in old approaches — such as 4D vision, multi-task learning, self-supervised learning, imitation learning, and reinforcement learning — at the million-vehicle scale, with thoughtful data curation (using things such as active learning and shadow mode).
Once again only care about what ever Tesla is doing or what you speculate tesla is doing. When others are doing that and more things that are way more advanced and have been doing it for years. We know what Tesla is doing because we can clearly access the NN and their architecture.
Solving L4 in the wild with this data is a fundamentally different problem — a fundamentally easier problem — than solving L4 in the wild (not in a playpen) with the data you can get from a few hundred vehicles. It requires neural networks to generalize much less. It trains them with an amount of data commensurate with what we’ve seen in successful AI projects.
Do you transform into an alien when you go from city to city? Does your car transform into a UFO and levitate? Do you walk backwards like in Tenet? You should go to Phoenix if your logic is correct. Waymo perception and prediction sys will fail & should run u over and rear end u.. If your statement were true then all the millions of tourists who fly/drive into Phoenix are in danger of being run over/rear end as Waymo's perception & prediction is brittle, not general & will instantly fail.

Additionally, Huawei would not be ready to release a door to door advanced autopilot system that works anywhere in China in 6 months using just 500 test cars in development. In an environment that is orders of magnitude harder to drive in than the US. At a MPI that is up to 500x higher than FSD beta.

Same is the case for Mobileye, they wouldn't be ready to release a door to door system that was developed in Israel, then works in Germany and Detroit and is about to be deployed all over china in a few months.

Again its about LOGIC.
1+1 will always be 2.
Your logic doesn't check out.

This is why we have to look beyond shallow comparisons between Waymo and Tesla. It is too simplistic to say Waymo has more advanced AI because 4 is a bigger number than 2. We have to look at the size of the problem — its scope, its constraints, its crutches, and also the resources, i.e. the data, that a company can use to solve it.
Its not 4 > 2, its that Waymo has given ~100k driverless miles to the public and Tesla has done 0, zero, nil, zip, nothing.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla looses money on the cars with FSD when the people who purchase the cars don't spend the extra 10 grand for FSD

Since they put all the hardware in there anyway, its baked into their internal cost of making the car. That means that they have decided that its cheaper for them to put it in every car than it is to only put it in "some", and they can always try to sell it to people later.

TL ; DR... No, because they already have it baked into their cost to MFR the vehicle.

New guy here planning to order an M3 Long Range AWD this week. Looking for some advice regarding ordering the FSD computer at this time for $10,000. Do the knowledgeable folks here recommend buying it now, or waiting until the FSD progresses in the next 2 years? Thank you for your advice.

It's all good as long as you are informed of whatever your decision will be.

Some people paid FSD since 2016 and at each firmware update, they kept hoping the next one would be so great and that keeps repeating that the next one will be much better for the past 5 years. And even after 5 years with multiple updates, most owners still do not have the FSD beta City Streets despite loud vocal demand.

So, based on Tesla's history, I would not raise my hope for the next 2 years as your goal.

I would classify what you pay FSD for now as L2 (drivers are responsible for a safe drive) for the foreseeable future unless I can see real proof otherwise.

Proof would include: The reliability to avoid crashes the way that Waymo has. If Tesla can attain that single skill of avoiding crashes, I would say $10,000 is worth the price.

But for $10,000 and my car still hits a stationary firetruck, police car, left-turn trucks in front of me... then, I personally, do not think it's worth the price. It should be much cheaper so I can pay for the potential crashes and deaths.

In a consumer world, if I pay for something, I should get a fully functional product, not something that will get better with the next update for the next 5 years and counting with no end in sight.

If you are saying (and I’m not sure you are saying) that waymo has level four “deployed” then you have to say Tesla also has level four deployed. I think neither waymo or Tesla have level 4 deployed.

I am saying that Waymo has deployed L4 but Tesla has not deployed L4. A robotaxi with no driver that can do routes in a geofenced area is by definition L4. Waymo has a commercial service where the public can ride in a driverless robotaxi in a geofenced area. So Waymo has deployed L4. And Tesla has said that FSD Beta is only L2. So Tesla has not deployed L4.

I am saying that Waymo has deployed L4 but Tesla has not deployed L4. It is a fact that Waymo has deployed L4. A robotaxi with no driver that can do routes in a geofenced area is by definition L4. Waymo has a commercial service where the public can ride in a driverless robotaxi in a geofenced area. And Tesla has said that FSD Beta is only L2. So Tesla has not deployed L4.
Tesla has deployed level four in some cases, there is video proof of that. You can call it stage if you want, but it clearly shows the car navigating all by itself in a specific set of circumstances, just like Waymo.....

You keep mentioning L2+ like it’s a thing. FYI it’s not. Technically you can argue NoA goes beyond the definition of steering/throttle assist, so if you’re happy with that, then leave the FSD conversation to those who actually care about it.

The fact is, the only FSD that Tesla has shown to the public is V8.2, and it is dangerous, and far from a consumer L3 product.

As an FSD owner, I can’t wait for L3, but looking at what Tesla has released V8.2, with interventions barely at the rate of 1 per mile, there need to be huge improvements to get anywhere close. If V9 is a 50% improvement in disengagements, that’s just peanuts.

We also don’t know what V9 will look like at all, so I think it’s perfectly fair to judge a product by what they’ve shown to the public (V8.2). If Tesla has made monumental improvements in V9, why don’t they show us? And I don’t mean the doctored and staged FSD videos like they’ve done in the past. Until we see V9 with our eyes, all we can do is speculate.