Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the mobile connector that you buy from Tesla waterproof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the manual for the mobile connector:

1696623130416.png

Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

Upvote 0
Main point: If you're going to charge in the rain, arrange things so water doesn't get into the sockets at each end of the mobile connector body and cables where all the bare naked electrical power contacts live.

If you look at the Mobile Connector, there's a narrow end where the cable going to the car leaves all the electronics and goes that-a-way. There's a somewhat wider end where any of the large number of adapters gets plugged in. The adapter has a rubber seal going around it, so, when it's plugged into the body of the Mobile Connector, Water Shall Not Pass. So, the Mobile Connector body and stuff plugged into it are OK in the rain.

The problem that the warnings point out is if one places the Mobile Connector in any of the two below positions, things won't work out well:
  • No-No #1: Rig it so water hitting the adapter cable runs down the cable and into the wall socket. Sane people everywhere realize that Water + Electricity is not, generally, a good idea. So, if the adapter cable is plugged into the socket so, when the water runs down the cable towards the body of the Mobile Connector, everything will be cool, since that rubber gasket does the trick.
  • No-No #2: Rig it so that water hitting the between the Mobile Connector electronics and the car runs towards the car and into the NACS socket. I guess one could do this by putting the cable on top of the car so that when water hits the cable, it runs that-a-way towards the car's charging socket. Solution: Have the cable come in from below, instead. Again: Water and electricity isn't a good mix.
And the bit about "Major rainfall" is, well, there's a difference between a Nor'Easter/Hurricane/Major Thunderstorm and a gentle rain. If the rain is flying horizontal, maybe charging right this minute isn't that great an idea.

Upvote 0
Is the mobile connector you buy from Tesla waterproof?
Waterproof as in being submerged? Definitely not. Waterproof as in being able to resist some rain hitting it if it is properly mounted off the ground? Yes. However, if the rain is very severe (like a hurricane where the water is pouring down like a waterfall or going at high speeds), probably not.

Plenty of people have used it outside in the rain with no problems, although some had have problems and Tesla mentioned they don't cover water intrusion failures (although they did cover "goodwill").

The teardown of the Gen 2 Mobile Connector shows the housing is pretty well sealed (glue/ultrasonic welded so very difficult to take apart), so it fairly resistant against the weather. The points where there may be water ingress that can cause problems is where the adapter plug connects to the unit and also the cable itself (some people say the door open button eventually failed in thread above, although that may not necessarily have to do with water ingress).
This thread has more details. There was someone concerned about holes on the side, which they thought were vent holes that go directly to the electronics, but those don't actually do. Instead they are drainage holes for the adapter plug, which indicates Tesla designed it to handle some rain. The electronics appears to be completely sealed.
Home Charging

As such there's this warning in the manual:
"Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet."

Of course you need a outdoor rated outlet too.

Upvote 0
I've charged my Volt and my Bolt over the years with the car always parked outside in rain or shine - no issues. I would not, however, have the charge cable lying submerged in water.

I've had my Model 3 for a few months and finally graduated to being inside the garage so I have little experience there but I've been on long trips and supercharged in the rain.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0