Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price changes for mobile and wall connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always changing. I have been also still debating on if I need it. I have not used a mobile connector in a while. I use it 2-3 times a year on my lightning, never used it on my Rivian and have not used it on my Y in 2 years. Already have the Wall Connector installed at home.

Do your friends and relatives live near a supercharger? If so, there's no need to impose, though a mobile connector can be a nice convenience if there is an accessible dryer outlet and you have the proper adapter.
This. I find it far more convenient for Supercharger in these situations. Last trip to a friends house, they did not have a 14-50 or a Dryer connection accessible from the car, so tried at standard rate. Did not add enough juice, so had to do supercharger anyway. With the size of the supercharger network now, it really is not necessary IMHO.

Reactions: chowdarygm
Universal wall connector is now showing $620. Of course I paid $695 a month ago...

The UWC has replaced my old 14-50/Gen 1 UMC setup. Finally joined the 48 amp club! The extra 6 feet of cable and the wifi/app connectivity features are also a big help. We use it for both our Tesla and our Chevy Volt.

Not sure when I'll use the UMC on the road again. There are now Supercharger and non-Tesla CCS sites most everywhere I want to go. Do still have another use for the UMC at home though.

Getting wall connector for home for sure but what about trips or visiting friends or relatives?
That's what I use my mobile connector for. It's a real life saver. For some family members, the nearest supercharger can be 50+ miles out of the way. After I cook dinner, we talk about how much I owe them for electricity and what a scourge EVs are. /s

The supercharger network is better now, and my current car has more range and charges faster than my last one, but I still find the UMC makes travel much more convenient, especially to more remote areas. This will probably continue to change as members of my family may eventually buy an EV and install a connector at their home.

That's what I use my mobile connector for. It's a real life saver. For some family members, the nearest supercharger can be 50+ miles out of the way.
This. Mom & Dad let me put in a 14-50 at their house and it's very convenient. I've also L1 charged at the in-laws and on a trip to Edisto Beach, where there weren't any reasonable public chargers. Made it a non-event.