Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won't charge with mobile connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2018 Model 3 Performance. It won't charge from a mobile connector but works fine at Super Chargers. I've tested with other mobile connectors, and none work. I've also confirmed that my mobile connector with the same outlet works fine with other Teslas, just not mine. Does anyone know if this is a hardware issue with my car or just some random software issue?

Edit: I should have mentioned that it will charge for a few mins, maybe ~1 kWh before stopping.

Last edited:
Yes. If multiple mobile connectors were used and it still doesn’t work, common denominator are the onboard chargers. Supercharging is DC fast charging and bypasses the onboard chargers. That’s another clue the issue is with the chargers; car charges when the chargers are bypassed.

There is a chance the chargers themselves are not bad, but evidence is pointing to either the chargers and/or something related to them.

It usually works for a few minutes before stopping. Do you think this is still an issue with the onboard charger? Maybe I have to take it in.

From your description, there is virtually zero chance this is a software issue. Yes, you need to take it in. You have already ruled out the mobile connector being the issue, and the ability to supercharge does not have anything to do with the regular onboard chargers in the vehicle.

Got it. I'm confused because sometimes it goes a little longer and sometimes shorter. Last night it added 6kWh before stopping. But maybe the onboard charger can partially function. I'll take it in and see what they say.
Yes, schedule a SC appointment. There is an onboard AC to DC converter. The mobile connector is just cabling and not that actual charging equipment.
Yeah, I just mean the car charges to different levels, usually just a couple of kWh but last night it added 6 kWh. One thing I don't understand is why this wouldn't be covered under the battery warranty. Isn't this part of the battery system?

Yeah, I just mean the car charges to different levels, usually just a couple of kWh but last night it added 6 kWh. One thing I don't understand is why this wouldn't be covered under the battery warranty. Isn't this part of the battery system?
The warranty covers the battery and the drive motors, not the "battery system". Just like an ICE unlimited power train warranty, if your alternator croaks, the power train warranty doesn't cover an alternator replacement.

It looks like this isn't an uncommon problem, at least by a quick search on these forums. And some people have even been able to get their SCs to repair under battery warranty, although that seems less common. In my case, I have unlimited super charging so I'd think they'd prefer that we get it repaired. Otherwise my wife will just keep going to local supercharger to charge, as she doesn't see this car as any different from an ICE going to gas station.

No, its not. There are several threads on this here, but the battery warranty covers "the battery" thats it.

For what it's worth, Tesla service's initial response is it has to do with charge port pins. I'm not sure why that would affect a mobile connector and not DC charging, but they're sending out mobile service and I guess will confirm.

For what it's worth, Tesla service's initial response is it has to do with charge port pins. I'm not sure why that would affect a mobile connector and not DC charging, but they're sending out mobile service and I guess will confirm.
I'll eat my hat if that turns out to be true.

Good suggestion upthread to try charging at something less than 16 amps.

maybe worth a try, do a software reinstall, see if that helps, also how many amps are you charging it with the mobile connector? try lower it to 15amps
Wow, I figured this out. Thanks for suggesting software reinstall. I decided to start with the app. I deleted the app from all our phones (had three drivers in house), then reinstalled just on my phone. In the past I had had issues with the app and home charging, start time, departure time, etc. so thought this could be contributing. I also then changed the password. I had also previously participated in a trial with an MCE app for home charging. And boom, it now charges fine!

I'm not sure if it was some bug in the app on multiple iphones or maybe a third party app disabling charging, but one of these changes fixed it. I probably should have taken my troubleshooting one step further and tried a mobile charger away from home (I had brought another mobile charger to my house). This would have shown that AC charging works fine and helped pinpoint the issue.

Anyway, thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Just doing a quick search on TMC, it looks like there's another example of another 3rd party app disabling charging immediately. So maybe that was my issue, the MCE app. I had deleted this app months ago but maybe it was somehow still accessing my account and stopping charging every time I tried to charge. I'm not sure why it would have only become an issue recently (seems MCE stopped their trial last year) but lesson learned on providing access to third party apps I suppose.