Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Plaid really less efficient than LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The range listed as:

Miles with 19" wheels:
405 LR
396 Plaid

Miles with 21" wheels:
375 LR
348 Plaid

I believe the Plaid comes with summer/performance tires for both 19" and 21" versions. If that is the case then that is most likely the reason we see the drop in mileage. Performance tires tend to have a higher rolling resistance.

1. Can anyone confirm if all Plaid versions come with performance summer tires?
-If this is the case then it's possible the Plaid is just as efficient as the LR despite having a 3rd motor
2. Is it safe to put performance all-season tires on the Plaid (i.e Michelin Pilot All Season 4)?

My LR came with performance summer 19” tires (most do). And they are great on efficiency. Getting 230 wh/mi with AC going.

Just the extra weight in the Plaid alone is going to cost a few miles.

My LR came with performance summer 19” tires (most do). And they are great on efficiency. Getting 230 wh/mi with AC going.

Just the extra weight in the Plaid alone is going to cost a few miles.
Mine came with All-Season. I guess maybe it depends on region.

Ok so in that case they were probably both tested with the same tires making the LR slightly more efficient.

Mine came with All-Season. I guess maybe it depends on region.

Ok so in that case they were probably both tested with the same tires making the LR slightly more efficient.
It’s not based on region. I live in the northeast. It’s completely random. I think it’s a supply issue and supposedly all 19” will be summer tires going forward.

There is a difference in efficiency forceach tire for sure. So I am curious which is the official EPA rated tire(s). On 19” Both the summer and all season are listed OEM on tire rack.

It’s not based on region. I live in the northeast. It’s completely random. I think it’s a supply issue and supposedly all 19” will be summer tires going forward.

There is a difference in efficiency forceach tire for sure. So I am curious which is the official EPA rated tire(s). On 19” Both the summer and all season are listed OEM on tire rack.
Are all season tires able the handle the force of the Plaid acceleration? I’m guessing there will be less grip with the all-seasons so probably a slightly reduced launch.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark