Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much of a difference will going to lighter 19s from the stock 19s actually be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering upgrading the stock 19s on a 2022 Model S LR to 19 MW05s from Martian Wheels with Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons.

Stock set up:
  • Tempest Aero Wheel: 29.6lbs
  • (Front) Conti ProContact Tire: 27lbs
  • (Rear) Conti ProContact Tire: 30lbs

Potential new set up:
  • Martian MW05 19s: 23lbs (front), 24.5lbs (rear): -23.4lbs vs stock
  • (Front) Michelin PS4AS: 27lbs
  • (Rear) Michelin PS4AS: 30lbs

It looks like I'm ultimately not saving any weight on the tires, but should gain a significant amount of handling performance on the PS4ASs vs the stock Conti ProContacts.

The wheels themselves should be a decent savings, approximately 5-6 lbs at each corner.

So my question is - How noticeable of a difference will this be? Slightly more sprightly? Like a brand new car? Entirely negligible?

Ball park how much acceleration and efficiency gains would there be?

Like @DerbyDave mentioned. You will likey get worse range than Tempest with open face design. However, lighter wheel does give you better steering respond. (At least from what I feel)

I would suggest to also consider @SignatureSales for their SV104. My 21" SV104 alsmot come in same weight as Martian 19" . Their 19" SV104 should weight at around 20lb each and you don't have to run spacer to make them flush as the offset is customizble.

That makes sense.

But wouldn't the reduced weight offset the disadvantage of not using Aero wheels? I know there'll be an efficiency loss going from the OEM tires to Pilot Sport 4s, but I'm not factoring that right now.

Reduce weight won't help unless the face is fully covered like tempest. Many wheel companies out there make false claim of lighter wheel = better range.

If you are all about the range, keep your tempest and OEM tire will be your best bet.

Reduce weight won't help unless the face is fully covered like tempest. Many wheel companies out there make false claim of lighter wheel = better range.

If you are all about the range, keep your tempest and OEM tire will be your best bet.
Got it, thanks.

What about acceleration/handling?

I'm definitely happy to give up some range if the gains there offset the range loss.

I’m all about wheel weight savings, generally, but with the S… it doesn’t apply as much due to the overall weight of the car and amount of power it has.

Less unsprung mass will make it feel slightly lighter on its feet, handling-wise, but not a ton. No pun intended :p

Acceleration… probably nothing. Again the car is making so much power that rotational weight isn’t a big factor and the LR is a little nerfed 0-60 anyway. It’s already going as fast to 60 as they allow it to.

I have 20” rims/tires that are much lighter than the stock 19” rims/tires. I still get less range due to the open wheel face, and wider/sticker performance rubber.

I’m all about wheel weight savings, generally, but with the S… it doesn’t apply as much due to the overall weight of the car and amount of power it has.

Less unsprung mass will make it feel slightly lighter on its feet, handling-wise, but not a ton. No pun intended :p

Acceleration… probably nothing. Again the car is making so much power that rotational weight isn’t a big factor and the LR is a little nerfed 0-60 anyway. It’s already going as fast to 60 as they allow it to.

I have 20” rims/tires that are much lighter than the stock 19” rims/tires. I still get less range due to the open wheel face, and wider/sticker performance rubber.
Since it looks like there's no tangible gains to be had (either with range or performance) by swapping out the wheels, I guess it's purely down to aesthetics?

Are there any third party Aero wheels or aero wheel covers like there are for the 3/Y? The ones for the S are so blah.

I'm considering upgrading the stock 19s on a 2022 Model S LR to 19 MW05s from Martian Wheels with Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons.

Stock set up:
  • Tempest Aero Wheel: 29.6lbs
  • (Front) Conti ProContact Tire: 27lbs
  • (Rear) Conti ProContact Tire: 30lbs

Potential new set up:
  • Martian MW05 19s: 23lbs (front), 24.5lbs (rear): -23.4lbs vs stock
  • (Front) Michelin PS4AS: 27lbs
  • (Rear) Michelin PS4AS: 30lbs

It looks like I'm ultimately not saving any weight on the tires, but should gain a significant amount of handling performance on the PS4ASs vs the stock Conti ProContacts.

The wheels themselves should be a decent savings, approximately 5-6 lbs at each corner.

So my question is - How noticeable of a difference will this be? Slightly more sprightly? Like a brand new car? Entirely negligible?

Ball park how much acceleration and efficiency gains would there be?

Why in the world would you buy those instead of better ones from Jova for half the price? Check the model 3 forums, handful of people had issues with martians.