Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the water from AC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parked my car in the garage and left the AC on for a while (maybe about 20 mins). I saw some water leak from the center of the front under the car. I turned off the ac immediately and it seemed the leak from under the car stopped. Is it the water from AC? Is it normal? I didn’t see too much water from my Mercedes when ac is on. Does anyone observe the same issue when your ac is on in your garage? I could not see any difference between the leaked water and a pure water.

Based on those figures, the compressor etc pieces of your system would only need to be at 58 degrees F or below to form condensation. They absolutely are. A good sign that your seeing more condensation than other vehicles, not knowing all the factors at play, as that means your heat pump and associated running very cool and very efficiently. Perhaps your other vehicles weren't.

If it is water, it can only be condensation off your evaporator. There is no water used as a fluid anywhere on the vehicle. Condensation easily forms on your 32 degree evaporator while running A/C. Think of how you get condensation on the side of a glass with ice water in it. Except the evaporator has much more surface area and forcibly pushed new air (and therefore water) through it which causes a much higher accumulation of water. It has to go somewhere.

My Y does the same thing. I showed the pictures to my SC advisor and he said it's normal.

Attachments

• Water Leak.jpg
    Water Leak.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2,534
  • water leak2.jpg
    water leak2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 444
You gotta figure that with the heat pump system there will be a cold evaporator somewhere in the system just as an effect of the heating condenser. You may even see some condensation under heavy heater use as well. Also, keep in mind that using the defroster uses both the heat and A/C. So even when you think there probably shouldn't be any condensation, there is.