Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Y/3 similarity a problem, or irrelevant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still love my 3 the way it is. Maybe there is enough room for the Y. Time will tell. But Tesla could have soared if they made it with a more rugged appearance, ground clearance, taller back, roof rack and hitch. Something you could see with firewood, camping gear and a wet dog. You know, Subaru it. Tough call since that would have hurt range and batterys are still expensive.

Reactions: roguenode
That command seating is why I love my CUV. Even more so than the cargo room - that high up view of the road is one of those things .... once you have it, giving it up kinda sucks.

Everyone always says this, but honestly I don't know how raising your point of view a mere foot or less is really doing anything for anyone. What are you going to see better? The back of the SUV in front of you?

Any gain is negated by the awful sightlines that permeate nearly every new vehicle sold these days, which is especially egregious with our current crop of SUVs. So much so that the government had to mandate rear view cameras to protect us from our own style vanity.

I do track days in a very low car and I've never felt like I could do better if only my point of view was higher.

I get that SUVs are easier to get in a out of for our aging (and you can argue fat, on average) population. But I really think people oversell this SUV point-of-view thing.

Everyone always says this, but honestly I don't know how raising your point of view a mere foot or less is really doing anything for anyone. What are you going to see better? The back of the SUV in front of you?

Any gain is negated by the awful sightlines that permeate nearly every new vehicle sold these days, which is especially egregious with our current crop of SUVs. So much so that the government had to mandate rear view cameras to protect us from our own style vanity.

I do track days in a very low car and I've never felt like I could do better if only my point of view was higher.

I get that SUVs are easier to get in a out of for our aging (and you can argue fat, on average) population. But I really think people oversell this SUV point-of-view thing.
I agree. I think people don’t want to admit that the ease of entry/exit is the real draw, so they came up with the high point of view thing. You’re not really any higher if everyone is driving one.

Reactions: mattjs33
Still love my 3 the way it is. Maybe there is enough room for the Y. Time will tell. But Tesla could have soared if they made it with a more rugged appearance, ground clearance, taller back, roof rack and hitch. Something you could see with firewood, camping gear and a wet dog. You know, Subaru it. Tough call since that would have hurt range and batterys are still expensive.
That’s what Rivian is building. Niche market.