Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a LED puddle light which does not rattle in the front doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the abstract ocean superbright T logo on all 4 doors which looked great but unfortunately had to switch the front door back to the OEM ones due to rattle at certain bass frequencies which was getting on my nerve.

Have more recently bought some chinese ones which have a slightly bigger T logo and less bright and sort of hoped that theyd rattle less but unfortunately they rattle too at certain bass frequencies. The rattle can even be observed as the logo starts the vibrate on the ground when those frequencies play.

Does anyone know of any which don't rattle?

The rear doors are fine as they do not produce as much vibration/bass as the front ones.

it is not the light casing which rattles, i suspect that its either the lense itself which rattles or the led vibrating against the lens. I have been thinking about just filling up the whole light with superglue.
That would quickly kill the LED, they need cooling. I have the AO ones too and I initially heard it rattle but it stopped after I wrapped the connector cable with some felt tape, the LED units themselves are rock solid.

That would quickly kill the LED, they need cooling. I have the AO ones too and I initially heard it rattle but it stopped after I wrapped the connector cable with some felt tape, the LED units themselves are rock solid.

i didnt even use the connector cable with the abstract vision lights, just plugged them directly into the original cables (which particularly on the right door for me are ultrashort so they cant rattle).

When I shake the lights theres definetely some very quiet sound/creak/rattle which can be heared for all 6 of my lights.

I don’t think so. A they are regularly potted without issue. I wouldn’t use super blue though. Epoxy or flowable silicone is a better option. These are low-power leds that aren’t on for more than a few minutes typically.

Well I just glued the (china/aliexpress) LED when I thought i should have another look at the abstract vision light.
The abstract vision LED is a lot higher in quality - the LED is properly secured with plastic and does not make any noise.
The problem with the abstract vision light is the lens ratteling quite a lot.

with the aliexpress light the lens is only ratteling very slightly so I put the aliexpress lens in the Abstract vision LED and that has actually reduced the rattle by a significant margin. It is still there but much quieter - I suspect as the aliexpress lens also rattles very slightly.

Interesting discussion. Links, photos? Thanks.

uh its all put together now but i did take a picture when i glued the lights.

As one can see the LED is just really loose inside unlike in the abstract vision lights which have a proper interior plastic housing. The abstact vision lights are also smaller and a better fit - the aliexpress ones are really hard to get out once installed and you basically have to remove the lightcover first and then gently wiggle the plastic casing out which can be an ordeal...

5473eb20-27c9-49ab-b345-f31228d5a8c7.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
This is why the answer to the OP post title should be:

'Yes, the OEM ones.' Keep her standard and be happy or trade in for a Y, a 4, Taycan, Taycan wagon or whatever comes next.

OEM puddle lights can rattle quite bit, they are skinnier than most aftermarket options and the plastic cover creeks worse than that back door on cs_assault when you try to move it..

Zero rattles here after 2 years of ownership.

If only I still played PC or any other platform games (20-30+ years ago)... maybe I would care for that reference. Unlikely, given the genre.

I think it depends a lot on the music you listen to and how high you have turned up the bass.
It's not actually that big of a deal when you isten to "loud" electronic music or rock music. But if you got the bass turned up to 6db and then listen to ambient or techno stuff which has no highend to mask the rattle it is kinda annoying.

I think it depends a lot on the music you listen to and how high you have turned up the bass.
It's not actually that big of a deal when you isten to "loud" electronic music or rock music. But if you got the bass turned up to 6db and then listen to ambient or techno stuff which has no highend to mask the rattle it is kinda annoying.

More annoying than the music...? :D Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Candleflame