Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a NEMA charging map for the East Coast? Planning a trip NYC to Philadelphia.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TC off is very dangerous when flooring it over uneven road; I did that and the rear of my car got light enough that the rear tires started spinning and the rear of the car almost swung out and I would been doing a 360.

My trip to NYC involved the range going from whatever miles left to unknown range left, which was definitely scary. Fortunately, I'd read about it here and knew I had a fair amount of miles left, but not knowing how far away I was from the Roadster shutting itself down was less than ideal. I was creeping along as slowly and gently I could, fearing the worst at 2AM in an unfamiliar area, and every wrong turn is a huge penalty. That said, now that I've experienced it once, I'm WAY more comfortable with the range of the car in various conditions. But you're right -- all this "250 mile range" crap is not going to go over well with the general public. I don't say "250 miles" when asked anymore .. I say "if you drive like the EPA, you can get 250 miles" and then I go into the reality. I mentioned I've driven to NYC and generally don't worry about range 'cuz I usually don't drive more than 150 miles in a day and that my car is always full in the morning.

I generally tell people that the Tesla Roadster has a 4-hour range. Then I ask them how often they want to drive more than four hours without stopping somewhere that has electricity. For me, I can't go 4 hours without eating, and I won't eat in my car, so I have to stop anyway. About my only complaint is that there aren't Tesla HPC units everywhere that there are EV charging stations.

TC off is very dangerous when flooring it over uneven road; I did that and the rear of my car got light enough that the rear tires started spinning and the rear of the car almost swung out and I would been doing a 360.
I'm used to my S-2000, which is a rear-wheel-drive with a TorSen differential. If you gun the engine in a turn over uneven road, it will literally jump off the ground! Keeping control of a car under those conditions makes the Tesla Roadster seem tame (even though it isn't). Maybe I should hold off further comments for a TC thread, since this thread is about distance driving, charging, and range anxiety...

Anyone know if the supercharged network will work on the s40's by just negotiating at a lower amperage?
The problem is that there will be no electrical path for the supercharger's DC power to get to the battery unless Tesla decides to offer supercharging for 40's. The car determines how many amps to pull, however, not power source, in any case.