Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a setting for: headlights on a whenever you drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would tend to prefer having my headlights on all of the time when I drive. When I put headlights on auto, they tend to stay off during the day. When I select on, I get a notice when I park that "range may be reduced" (or something like that), so I going into controls and turn them off manually. I mean, it is no big deal, but do I need to turn them off manually when I park?

Do other people like to drive with headlights on during the day? If so, what's the easiest way to do that? I guess I am wondering why there does not seem to be a setting "headlights on while driving"? I think that is the safest way to drive and would be the best way to get Tesla's safety record as high as possible. I am thinking that LED headlights use very little power. Less than 100 Watts maybe? (Which seems pretty negligible compared to the 5000 to 15000 Watt burn rate while driving?) Any thoughts?

I suggest leaving the option in the 'on' setting then. It's not like it can kill the battery in 8 hours anyway...

I'd also argue that I hate it when I see a car in daytime with the lights on... makes it blinding from the front and annoying from the back, as it's harder to distinguish brake lights vs. lights in daytime.... but you do you :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Magnets! and Brando
side note: (help you Canadians out there) I believe Canada has/had (?) a regulation that whenever the vehicle engine was on, the lights had to be on. I think this regulation was/did decrease pedestrians walking out in front of moving car and getting killed. sorry Darwin. o_O

running light LEDs should be good enough - if not, the vehicle makers should make better. Otherwise the F___ regulators will have to step in.
F___ = Feds :rolleyes:

@SabrToothSqrl sometime think tail/rear vehicle lights show show
- steady speed
- braking
- accelerating
- direction change ( and all turn signals should be yellow - i.e. not shared with tail lights red)

Future automation may remove need to inform the so called driver?? :D
  • V to V = Vehicle to Vehicle (radio/wireless) could tell the vehicle computers and perhaps skip the organic vehicle computer.o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I used to drive my previous car (Prius) with low beams always on. No one ever accidentally cut me off in three years, and I thought it was because of the brighter than most cars' daytime lights. It definitely felt safer.
With the Model 3 I planned to do the same, but in a year of ownership no one has cut me off either. Perhaps this car's daytime lights are bright enough. In any case, I have not tried it personally, but at delivery my advisor said that low beams should stay on once you turn them on.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
side note: (help you Canadians out there) I believe Canada has/had (?) a regulation that whenever the vehicle engine was on, the lights had to be on. I think this regulation was/did decrease pedestrians walking out in front of moving car and getting killed. sorry Darwin. o_O

running light LEDs should be good enough - if not, the vehicle makers should make better. Otherwise the F___ regulators will have to step in.
F___ = Feds :rolleyes:

@SabrToothSqrl sometime think tail/rear vehicle lights show show
- steady speed
- braking
- accelerating
- direction change ( and all turn signals should be yellow - i.e. not shared with tail lights red)

Future automation may remove need to inform the so called driver?? :D
  • V to V = Vehicle to Vehicle (radio/wireless) could tell the vehicle computers and perhaps skip the organic vehicle computer.o_O
We get daytime running lights in Canada The headlights go on, usually high beam at low intensity, and no tail lights. Tesla has no interest in adding Canadian programing to US tesla's which is why we can not import used US tesla's to Canada