Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a Tesla wave?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like how motorcycles always give each other a downward finger salute, have Tesla owners adopted some kind of wave to signify camaraderie?

One idea I thought of was the autopilot wave. Go on autopilot, and when another Tesla passes by, put both your hands out the window. So everyone knows your car is on autopilot. It's also effective for lane changes, cars that usually cut others off the moment they see a turn signal will be like "WTF" and slow down.

I think so far, I only did one wave to another Model 3 in the entire month I owned the Model 3. I see Model 3s everywhere, there almost has not been a day where I have never seen another Model 3. I used to have a BMW M3 and it was sorta rare to see another M3, but they would do a wave more often.

I just hope Teslas won't cut each other off. I hope there is enough of a camaraderie that Teslas would give each other right of way if lane changes are needed.

Wondered the same thing!

Was followed by Model 3 one day to work. When I slowed to exit, was caught completely by surprise as Model 3 passed with Colorado plates! Wished there'd been some way to say hey.

Maybe a 3-finger salute. Raise your hand as if to give the finger, but raise your middle, ring, and pinky fingers!

I'd vote for being able to tap the respective Tesla in the display (which logically means that nearby Teslas should be depicted on-screen) and having your pre-selected greeting played over their speakers, if they've enabled a switch which allows others to play a greeting over their speakers.

For example: http://soundbible.com/grab.php?id=59&type=mp3

Of course, this would be abused in some way and the option would be shut down within the first 24 hours of usage.

In my area there are not a lot of Tesla's, although I see 1 or 2 more every week. I usually point to the frunk when it's coming towards me and get a smile or wave from the driver. Also when parking in a lot I will always park next to another Tesla if I see one. There is a blue MX that goes to the same hockey games at Prudential Center who tries to park next to my MX frequently.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and Dre78
You simply briefly activate Turbo Pursuit Mode.

620_5b61a6e545187.jpg

I wave all the time from my S to other S and X on the roads, get a response ~2/3 of the time. Of all the Model 3s I've waved to, only a handful have responded.

I think because it's becoming an increasingly common car, nobody's going to care that much when they see another. It'd be like having a special wave got Camry owners.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Ocassionally I do a fingers up above the steering wheel Tesla acknowledgment “wave” but until yesterday never either caught the other person’s attention or they just don’t want to respond. Stopped yesterday at a light and in the lane facing me coming from the other direction was a twin of my car. Decided to do the fingers wave and this time they did it back :D. Made my day.