Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to keep air circulating inside the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my HVAC turned on "Auto" mode, which is great. The only complaint is that it regularly turns off the inside air circulation and pulls in air from the outside. I regularly drive by some stinky areas, and constantly smell diesel and other stank on the highway. I have to remember to regularly go in and turn on the inside air circulation to make sure air isn't getting drawn from the outside.

Is there a way to make this permanent that I'm just missing? Any other clever workarounds other than turning off Auto mode?
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 10.12.20 AM.png

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: CapnLoki and Pkmmte
I have my HVAC turned on "Auto" mode, which is great. The only complaint is that it regularly turns off the inside air circulation and pulls in air from the outside. I regularly drive by some stinky areas, and constantly smell diesel and other stank on the highway. I have to remember to regularly go in and turn on the inside air circulation to make sure air isn't getting drawn from the outside.

Is there a way to make this permanent that I'm just missing? Any other clever workarounds other than turning off Auto mode?
In the S, X, and 3, if you want a specific HVAC setting to remain the way you set it you have to control the HVAC manually (except for temperature). Don’t use Auto.

@ftlum, don’t expect Tesla to change this any time soon. It’s been that way for 6 years. I find Auto works fairly well but personally prefer to manually control the HVAC. It gives me something to do while the car is driving itself. ;)

Reactions: selfbp
Several of my vehicles (all?) allow recirc for a limited time. I'm guessing like the police and the ford explorers that had carbon monoxide entering the car, they want you to breath outside air the majority of the time. Tesla may be following the industry standard. ( at least for this one thing!) Mt Prius has an outside air filter mode that also cuts off after a while. It was a pain during a week of forest fire smoke to have to reset it every few minutes.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Most cars have the ability to work in Auto mode even if you override the recirculate setting. This is a commonly needed scenario, since people appreciate automatic control of fan speed and temperature but the outdoor air may have a foul odor.
Moving along in AUTO mode ... when a foul smell approaches !

1. Click Recirc button
... ... ...
2. Click AUTO

I never use auto, for that reason, i never want 90 degree air entering my ac. It takes so much more power for ac to cool car,
Here where it is so hot all the time, you can feel the difference.
Also, when im out shopping in the daytime, i leave ac running in car with white towl over dash. It also makes a difference.