Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to navigate to a location, while stopping at another location along the way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you can, sort of. You enter the final destination in the navigation system. You follow instructions for a while until you decide to stray out of the prescribed path to go to your waypoint... that is assuming you know where it is and don't need directions for that part. I know it sounds like a joke but I've done this more than once.

Well, you can, sort of. You enter the final destination in the navigation system. You follow instructions for a while until you decide to stray out of the prescribed path to go to your waypoint... that is assuming you know where it is and don't need directions for that part. I know it sounds like a joke but I've done this more than once.
The real problem comes in when you need to estimate this with a low battery and understand whether you have enough range to make the first destination, then the next destination, then back to a supercharger.

Reactions: kavyboy
Ah, it's not a question of navigation, it's energy planning, I had not understood it properly. I had that need recently and I used ABRP to plan a trip to that intermediate stop and to a supercharger I intended to use on my way home. That let me know how many %SOC I needed to reach that charger.

Otherwise, I use a rule of thumb. My battery is rated for 500km which should mean 5km per %SOC but in practice I know I do closer to 400km, and in winter closer to 300km. I therefore use 3km or 4km per %SOC so I can know roughly how much %SOC I need additional to that intermediate destination.

Reactions: XPsionic
The real problem comes in when you need to estimate this with a low battery and understand whether you have enough range to make the first destination, then the next destination, then back to a supercharger.
This is what A Better Route Planner is for. Tesla's nav should handle complex trips but it doesn't and who knows when or if it ever will, Elon seems distinctly uninterested in improving it. Tesla wastes a lot of resources doing useless games and they haven't done anything to improve their navigation. Until they bring Tesla's nav up to date you will have to work around it. When planning a trip always use A Better Route Planner, they also have a phone app so you can figure new routes when you are on the road.

This is what A Better Route Planner is for. Tesla's nav should handle complex trips but it doesn't and who knows when or if it ever will, Elon seems distinctly uninterested in improving it. Tesla wastes a lot of resources doing useless games and they haven't done anything to improve their navigation. Until they bring Tesla's nav up to date you will have to work around it. When planning a trip always use A Better Route Planner, they also have a phone app so you can figure new routes when you are on the road.
ABRP is indispensable for planning trips like I described which may include many waypoints. I took an 8k mile road trip, camping across the country this last summer and ABRP was the way we planned everything ahead of time and planned our daily excursions.

We spent much time in the southwest and when planning trips around mountains, rules of thumb don't work as well. They especially don't work well towing a cargo cage on the rear hitch loaded down with a pair of long-range electric scooters, our 4" fold-up foam mattress, and our tent.

For cases like this, you need to figure out your reference consumption, then you can use ABRP to do what Tesla should do for you. It's honestly frustrating how crappy the Tesla navigation is, with how good the rest of the car is.

Reactions: whiskeylover
100% agree. This is the issue.
I just came back from a trip where I had a leg from Marathon, TX, to Big Bend National Park, ending in Fort Davis, TX. This was going to be tight in a 6-year-old S70. Without waypoints, I had no idea what side trips I could take. At one point, I missed a turn and the nav told me to take a 22-mile round trip to the next intersection to do a U-turn. I could have taken a detour to Terlingula to charge at an RV spot, but if there were none available I was essentially stranded. (But hey, why would some place so remote be unexpectedly busy?)
Having waypoints would have made the trip so much easier. As it was, I could never tell if I could take a side trip and make it all the way back. At every diversion attempt the car would tell me I was going to run out of charge unless I wised up, so good on Tesla for that. Fortunately, U-turns in the middle of the street work OK when there's nobody around for miles.
I rolled into the Tesla charger at Hotel Limpia with 18 miles left.

I do that also, especially when I want to use a supercharger (and have car precondition) but I want to take a specific local road to reach it (instead of a highway). This points out another feature the Tesla doesn't have, which is an "avoid highways" mode. I could put a point along the local road, navigate to that first, then to supercharger (which I did once), but that loses the pre-conditioning. Now I just stray off the path and then let the nav figure it out when I reach the same "waypoint".

Reactions: GtiMart
Ah, it's not a question of navigation, it's energy planning, I had not understood it properly. I had that need recently and I used ABRP to plan a trip to that intermediate stop and to a supercharger I intended to use on my way home. That let me know how many %SOC I needed to reach that charger.

Otherwise, I use a rule of thumb. My battery is rated for 500km which should mean 5km per %SOC but in practice I know I do closer to 400km, and in winter closer to 300km. I therefore use 3km or 4km per %SOC so I can know roughly how much %SOC I need additional to that intermediate destination.

id set % to rated kms and you can have a good guess after a while how many "buffer kms" you need to make it.

I.e. when I have to drive 300km to the next charger I make sure I charge to 390km at the very least. If the buffer shrinks too fast then i gotta slow down. I usually end up rolling in with <25kms that way.