Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any difference between Pilot Sport 4 and Pilot Sport 4 acoustic tyres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily.....the OEM Michelin tyres are pretty expensive, and 24k miles is not a great return - a lighter ICE car would probably be easier on it's tyres.

I echo the recommendation to get your tracking checked - something definitely looks awry.
24K! I'd have killed for 24K. My first set of OEM Michelins lasted 13K on the the back of my M3LR pounding down Welsh A roads :)

Reactions: Whyone
I guess the question is, do you need Ultra high performance tyres for the way you use your car?
I've just ordered a set of Hankook iON evo for my M3P. They are the only tyres I found to have better rolling resistance and noise rating than the (already good but expensive) Pirelli PZERO T0 PNCS. TÜV SÜD and Auto Bild rated the Hankooks above the Michelin PS4 Acoustic / PS5.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 13
I was all set to order the PS4 T0 tyres but they’re two energy efficiency ratings worse than the Hankook evos. This is a 12% difference, which I would imagine is going to be noticeable from my experience of the detrimental effect of heavy rain and standing water on range.

And back on-topic, I understand that the T0 PS4s have a wider / more square tread profile than the non T0 ones.

Looks good - is there any review data on wear rate?
I've not found anything, but it's typically not tested in the tyre tests.

IMG_0009.JPG

However I don't think it will be an issue, for me at least. I would have exceeded 30k miles on the 280 tread wear rated Pirellis and I expect the Hankooks to last as long with the 320 tread wear rating.

Wasn't the reduced top speed (125mph?) part of the reason for the tyre change with the Highland? Seem to recall Musk saying that as no one regularly drives at 140 mph* reducing the top speed could reduce tyre cost as lower speed rating applies?

*(Tough luck Fritz!)

Wasn't the reduced top speed (125mph?) part of the reason for the tyre change with the Highland? Seem to recall Musk saying that as no one regularly drives at 140 mph* reducing the top speed could reduce tyre cost as lower speed rating applies?

*(Tough luck Fritz!)
As someone living in the UK I have zero issue with this. As Tesla cost cutting measures go this seems eminently sensible.

Corrected for you🤪
I am probably more steady than I used to be as per your correction. but I have never been what you call a slow driver point to point. I might even have been a tad aggressive in the past but I still don't recall driving over 125mph at any point ever in the UK. and that was back when you had a decent chance of getting away with it! A friend of mine bought a brand new BMW M2 last week. Took it to rural Wales to test it out. Got two speeding tickets within 4 hours of setting off. So now he will have at least 6 points for the entire length of his lease and he was not even close to 125mph on either of them :rolleyes:

I've just ordered a set of Hankook iON evo for my M3P. They are the only tyres I found to have better rolling resistance and noise rating than the (already good but expensive) Pirelli PZERO T0 PNCS. TÜV SÜD and Auto Bild rated the Hankooks above the Michelin PS4 Acoustic / PS5.
Did you buy them all?

Need a set of 4 tyres (at just under 23K, and didn't realise they were so low until cleaning tar off the bodywork at the weekend) and the Hancook iON Evo seem to be the ones to have right now.

I usually use a local place part of ProTyre, didn't let me order online called them and they have 3. Looking around seems most places have no stock, Tyre place suggested Ventus Prime 4 which from the Hankook website looks same economy, wet and noise rating but digging a bit deeper looks to be a different tyre made in Hungary where the ION EVO are made in Korea.

I have a bit of time.. (about .4mm) so will wait and see if them come back in stock I guess, e.primacy seems to be the other 18" Tesla are using of late but the if Auto Bild test is correct won't be as good as the ION Evo's