Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this 2016 P90DL a good buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very nicely equipped. Solid roof and yacht floor are both rare features.

It may have only Autopilot 1. That’s pretty good on the highway but off the enhancement roadmap. Drove AP1 loaner S85 Philadelphia-Cleveland and back one weekend last last fall, was happy with Autopilot.

Early S90 batteries had problems. You would be covered under warranty. Might get lucky and end up with 100 replacement.

There are no facelifts with ludicrous for that cheap. The cheapest one was $66k. There are some in the archives that were $61-62k, but they were actually not ludicrous despite the ev-cpo thinking they were.

I'm curious on what information you're basing this on? All those cars in the $61k range did have the BP01 Ludicrous Upgrade option code (See below). If these cars did not actually have the Ludicrous upgrade, then the option code data direct from Tesla was inaccurate, or Tesla was stripping Ludicrous mode from these cars before sale, but still advertised them as Ludicrous.

upload_2019-4-21_13-8-24.png

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I'm curious on what information you're basing this on? All those cars in the $61k range did have the BP01 Ludicrous Upgrade option code (See below). If these cars did not actually have the Ludicrous upgrade, then the option code data direct from Tesla was inaccurate, or Tesla was stripping Ludicrous mode from these cars before sale, but still advertised them as Ludicrous.

View attachment 399171

I saw the actual pictures and none of them had the underline on the rear badge or on the center screen, so they must have mid-labeled them.

I saw the actual pictures and none of them had the underline on the rear badge or on the center screen, so they must have mid-labeled them.

I don't think you can go by the photos alone. I believe the "underline" came later You'd have to get in the car and look at the driving settings to see if they had Ludicrous mode, which I would bet they all had. If I look at the source JSON code from when those cars were originally listed on Tesla's website, they all had the P90DL internal trim code, as well as the BP01 option code. See a data extract view below:

upload_2019-4-21_14-40-45.png

I don't think you can go by the photos alone. I believe the "underline" came later You'd have to get in the car and look at the driving settings to see if they had Ludicrous mode, which I would bet they all had. If I look at the source JSON code from when those cars were originally listed on Tesla's website, they all had the P90DL internal trim code, as well as the BP01 option code. See a data extract view below:

View attachment 399198

Ah, good to know. I still find it hard to believe that they’d sell a facelift P90DL for $61k. Also, there is such a sharp line in price between the ones selling for $61k vs $66k that to me, it implies that it would be a P90D without ludicrous.

Also, 2015 P90DLs had underlines so why wouldn’t a facelifted one have the underline?

Last edited:
Except for all the P90DLs that were produced before the underline was a thing (as I pointed out above). It can always be added later if you really want it. If the trim code says P90DL, it's Ludicrous with or without the underline.

Do you know when this cutoff was? I would think that a facelift car would always have the line, whereas the 2015 pre-facelift may not. Also, wouldn’t the main computer screen have the underline since software is constantly updated (even if the emblem on back isn’t underlined)? It seems like if you add it via software upgrade, the main computer and software would reflect this. The pics I posted above show no underline on the computer screen where the speedo is.

And I’m no Tesla expert by any means, I’m new to this scene. This just doesn’t make sense to me though based on all things I’ve read in the past. Even the P85Ds that had the ludicrous update have the underline on the computer screen.

Last edited: