Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a normal amount of water to get under the hood?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Frieda’s Boss

Model 3 AWD Silver + Model Y AWD Red
Sep 30, 2018
Vancouver, WA
28EA1453-40E2-45D6-B103-54E2B7F3F3BE.jpeg 55188C5E-CF14-4C08-BA83-EC3E8C8A9204.jpeg A01F3B6A-6ED5-47C0-AEF1-6209C88150CC.jpeg I hand-washed my car a couple of days ago with normal hose water pressure (ie. not a pressure washer) and didn’t bother opening the frunk to check underneath the hood, but today when I opened the hood to load up stuff in the frunk, I was shocked to see how much water had gotten under the hood and even into what seems to be the cabin air intake.

The water came in from the windshield side as I was rinsing it, but I wasn’t actively spraying the area toward the hood.

Have others seen this and is this normal or am I missing a seal somewhere between the hood and wipers?

The last pic shows that the gap between the hood and plastic underneath is about 1.5”, definitely no water barrier.

Looks normal to me. That area is outside the frunk seal. Not a problem.
View attachment 345414 View attachment 345416 View attachment 345417 I hand-washed my car a couple of days ago with normal hose water pressure (ie. not a pressure washer) and didn’t bother opening the frunk to check underneath the hood, but today when I opened the hood to load up stuff in the frunk, I was shocked to see how much water had gotten under the hood and even into what seems to be the cabin air intake.

The water came in from the windshield side as I was rinsing it, but I wasn’t actively spraying the area toward the hood.

Have others seen this and is this normal or am I missing a seal somewhere between the hood and wipers?

The last pic shows that the gap between the hood and plastic underneath is about 1.5”, definitely no water barrier.