Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

frunk badly stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gone through all the threads and Reddit posts I can find on the frunk being stuck and haven't been able to get mine freed yet (2018 Model 3, RWD). Situation is this:
- I have previously had the issue where the frunk pops up a bit, but the secondary actuator wouldn't release; solved by using a slim pry bar to push the latch over, then adding some lubricant (this was a few years ago, it's been fine since)
- A few weeks ago, my frunk stopped functioning; I could hear the actuators, but it wouldn't pop up; have tried the following:
  • We had some freeze/thaw conditions, so thought the seal might have somehow frozen; took into a heated garage for a few hours - didn't work.
  • Tried pushing down lightly while pressing open button, then harder, then prying lightly (all while pressing open and hearing the actuators) - didn't work.
  • Poured some windshield washer fluid on it, didn't work; took to a car wash and blasted water at it - didn't work.
  • Went through a cold spell so left it alone for the last week, then today I pulled off the left wheel and wheel well liner to reach in and grab the primary actuator (thinking that since it won't pop up at all, must be the primary); was able to retract the actuator by grasping the 'boot' part where the cable enters the actuator. Great I thought! Opened the app while holding the actuator back (though it turns out it stays retracted if you manually pull it), pressed the 'open frunk' button; heard the actuator move and it cycled the cable - lid did not pop up :(
  • Locked the car (can't pull the cable while the car is on), then pulled the actuator cable again back manually; put slim pry bar in and tried to lever open the lid... still nothing!
Running out of ideas on what can be the problem. I'm now going to head back out with a very slim pry tool to try and lift the weather seal and spray the whole area under the 'T' (where the latch is) with silicone lubricant and hope that does something.

One thought I've been having is whether the secondary actuator is somehow holding the lid down, even though if the primary actuator is working (or even released manually) the hood should pop up a bit... (I don't relish the thought of putting the left wheel back on, lowering the car, raising the right side to remove that wheel well liner to get at the secondary actuator).

Hopefully a Tesla tech is lurking here and can provide some additional info!

I've gone through all the threads and Reddit posts I can find on the frunk being stuck and haven't been able to get mine freed yet (2018 Model 3, RWD). Situation is this:
- I have previously had the issue where the frunk pops up a bit, but the secondary actuator wouldn't release; solved by using a slim pry bar to push the latch over, then adding some lubricant (this was a few years ago, it's been fine since)
- A few weeks ago, my frunk stopped functioning; I could hear the actuators, but it wouldn't pop up; have tried the following:
  • We had some freeze/thaw conditions, so thought the seal might have somehow frozen; took into a heated garage for a few hours - didn't work.
  • Tried pushing down lightly while pressing open button, then harder, then prying lightly (all while pressing open and hearing the actuators) - didn't work.
  • Poured some windshield washer fluid on it, didn't work; took to a car wash and blasted water at it - didn't work.
  • Went through a cold spell so left it alone for the last week, then today I pulled off the left wheel and wheel well liner to reach in and grab the primary actuator (thinking that since it won't pop up at all, must be the primary); was able to retract the actuator by grasping the 'boot' part where the cable enters the actuator. Great I thought! Opened the app while holding the actuator back (though it turns out it stays retracted if you manually pull it), pressed the 'open frunk' button; heard the actuator move and it cycled the cable - lid did not pop up :(
  • Locked the car (can't pull the cable while the car is on), then pulled the actuator cable again back manually; put slim pry bar in and tried to lever open the lid... still nothing!
Running out of ideas on what can be the problem. I'm now going to head back out with a very slim pry tool to try and lift the weather seal and spray the whole area under the 'T' (where the latch is) with silicone lubricant and hope that does something.

One thought I've been having is whether the secondary actuator is somehow holding the lid down, even though if the primary actuator is working (or even released manually) the hood should pop up a bit... (I don't relish the thought of putting the left wheel back on, lowering the car, raising the right side to remove that wheel well liner to get at the secondary actuator).

Hopefully a Tesla tech is lurking here and can provide some additional info!

Well I pulled the passenger wheel off, the wheel liner, and retracted the secondary actuator - still no action. Tried pry bar again (with both actuator cables retracted), nothing (so it can't be just the spring). Seems like it must be something mechanical with the latch mechanisms themselves. There was a ton of snow packed on top of the 'aero' felt cover between the wheels, so I thought maybe some might have somehow got up in the front and jammed it up (I was plowing some pow right about when it happened). So I dropped the aero cover and undid the black plastic thing ahead of it from the bumper fascia - I could then see there wasn't any snow jamming up the front area, but I also didn't get any better access to the latch mechanism either. The only way to get at it is from inside the frunk! Totally out of ideas now and expecting an expensive service visit where they somehow disassemble the front of my car. :(

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Well I pulled the passenger wheel off, the wheel liner, and retracted the secondary actuator - still no action. Tried pry bar again (with both actuator cables retracted), nothing (so it can't be just the spring). Seems like it must be something mechanical with the latch mechanisms themselves. There was a ton of snow packed on top of the 'aero' felt cover between the wheels, so I thought maybe some might have somehow got up in the front and jammed it up (I was plowing some pow right about when it happened). So I dropped the aero cover and undid the black plastic thing ahead of it from the bumper fascia - I could then see there wasn't any snow jamming up the front area, but I also didn't get any better access to the latch mechanism either. The only way to get at it is from inside the frunk! Totally out of ideas now and expecting an expensive service visit where they somehow disassemble the front of my car. :(
Hmm one more thought - in the Tesla service manual, they reference "use the manual frunk opening tool if you can't open it", and say "Refer to the 1130534-00-A Tool Profile for details", but I searched around on the service site and couldn't find anything more about it. eBay has a listing for it, and it looks pretty long... I'm now wondering if you are supposed to reach in with that tool from the wheel well, like you do to pull the actuator cable. Anyone tried that?

• Informative
Hmm one more thought - in the Tesla service manual, they reference "use the manual frunk opening tool if you can't open it", and say "Refer to the 1130534-00-A Tool Profile for details", but I searched around on the service site and couldn't find anything more about it. eBay has a listing for it, and it looks pretty long... I'm now wondering if you are supposed to reach in with that tool from the wheel well, like you do to pull the actuator cable. Anyone tried that?
Maybe get some idea from SB-19-11-002 (Readjust Hood Latch), Step 9 where they (and you somehow) attach a string to pull the latch to unlock.
Another is to un-bolt the hood striker if you can get the hood to even pop a bit to access the bolts.

• Informative
Maybe get some idea from SB-19-11-002 (Readjust Hood Latch), Step 9 where they (and you somehow) attach a string to pull the latch to unlock.
Another is to un-bolt the hood striker if you can get the hood to even pop a bit to access the bolts.

Thanks for the suggestion - I took a look and unfortunately won't be able to do what they have done - just no way to reach up there from what I've been able to disassemble.

I've put the wheel liner back in and the wheel on now.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Just to close the loop here (for now), I attempted to reach in with a nail pry bar (the same one I used to pop the frunk a few years ago when the secondary latch stuck) from the wheel well side along a similar route as I used to pull the primary actuator cable, but I don't think it was long enough. I've lost my patience for the job and need to drive tomorrow to work, so re-assembled everything.

I'll be driving with a spray bottle of windshield washer fluid for the next while until I get a service appointment (SC is several hours away).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and RoBoRaT
Just to close the loop here (for now), I attempted to reach in with a nail pry bar (the same one I used to pop the frunk a few years ago when the secondary latch stuck) from the wheel well side along a similar route as I used to pull the primary actuator cable, but I don't think it was long enough. I've lost my patience for the job and need to drive tomorrow to work, so re-assembled everything.

I'll be driving with a spray bottle of windshield washer fluid for the next while until I get a service appointment (SC is several hours away).
Sorry about missing your details (year, etc). Wow that really sucks about driving several hours. Is there a body shop around you, familiar with Tesla repairs, perhaps as an option? Best of luck.

Reactions: KootsChewt
Wow, that sounds super frustrating. Just another idea to try - maybe a heat gun/blow dryer over the area while trying to actuate? Just a thought that if something is gumming it up you may reduce the viscosity enough to allow the mechanism to retract.
Ah that's an interesting idea! I wonder how hot I can get it without ruining the paint? It also has a seal to get through... but still, just warming the whole area up might be helpful. Thanks.

A couple weeks ago I went to open my frunk (Model Y LR 2021, ~30k miles) and it wouldnt open at all... no noise, no movement, no nothing. The last successful time I'd tried to open it was in February just before a trip. Worked fine. The next time I'd tried was in late March

Tried from the screen, tried from the phone app... tried a double button reboot... nothing.

Both screen and app show an animation of the frunk opening, and then immediately closing.

Car is still under warranty, so scheduled mobile service out to the house. He tried for 4+ hours to open it, and even tried the long tool with wheel well off... no dice.

He told me I'd need to take it in to a service center. Took it in on Tuesday (4/4) and was originally told it would be ready the next day (4/5)... then I got a message update that it would take 2 more days (4/7)... then yesterday was told they'd need to keep it for diagnostics until Tuesday (4/11).

I think its ridiculous that the car doesnt have a mechanical release mechanism in the cabin... definitely not safe if someone/or a pet got stuck inside and couldnt figure out how to do the internal release mechanism.

Reactions: KootsChewt
A couple weeks ago I went to open my frunk (Model Y LR 2021, ~30k miles) and it wouldnt open at all... no noise, no movement, no nothing. The last successful time I'd tried to open it was in February just before a trip. Worked fine. The next time I'd tried was in late March

Tried from the screen, tried from the phone app... tried a double button reboot... nothing.

Both screen and app show an animation of the frunk opening, and then immediately closing.

Car is still under warranty, so scheduled mobile service out to the house. He tried for 4+ hours to open it, and even tried the long tool with wheel well off... no dice.

He told me I'd need to take it in to a service center. Took it in on Tuesday (4/4) and was originally told it would be ready the next day (4/5)... then I got a message update that it would take 2 more days (4/7)... then yesterday was told they'd need to keep it for diagnostics until Tuesday (4/11).

I think its ridiculous that the car doesnt have a mechanical release mechanism in the cabin... definitely not safe if someone/or a pet got stuck inside and couldnt figure out how to do the internal release mechanism.
Don't put any people or pets in the frunk. Sounds like yours had some sort of very rare mechanical failure that doesn't allow them to use the normal service workarounds to open it. They will probably have to cut the loop for the latch or maybe even the frunk sheet metal.

Don't put any people or pets in the frunk. Sounds like yours had some sort of very rare mechanical failure that doesn't allow them to use the normal service workarounds to open it. They will probably have to cut the loop for the latch or maybe even the frunk sheet metal.
More worried about kids putting themselves or pets into the frunk. And the system cant even recognize the condition.

Shouldn't need the jaws of life in a non-collision corner case, no matter how rare it may be.