Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this coolant leaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tesluv108

2023 M3 SR LFP, (plaid something, someday?)
Aug 29, 2020
Ohio
Wondering what causes traces of what seems to be coolant on my garage floor. It’s not much, but wondering where it’s likely coming from. This is coming from below the front of the car below the front axle.
6EBB92E2-0E80-449D-8E0D-4672866BE79F.jpeg

I had a similar experience on my mid-2016 MD90D mid 2016. I noticed one day a small puddle of what I figured likely was coolant. I decided to take the wait and see approach as my car sits parked for several months at a time while I'm overseas. When I returned in early November I had a low coolant warning, so go the car in for service.

Not sure if the circuits are identical between our cars. Mine is a refresh 2016 and I believe there are a total of 3 multi-way valves:
- 4-way coolant valve, series/parallel
- 3-way coolant valve, radiator bypass
- 3-way coolant valve, chiller bypass

In my case, they had to replace the 3-way radiator bypass. If the leak seems to be right below the very front of the car, then that would be my guess as the most likely cause. If you're interested, total cost for me (Indianapolis service center) was $455. Valve was $165, labor $279, about $10 in sales tax on the valve.

• Informative
Reactions: tesluv108
I had a similar experience on my mid-2016 MD90D mid 2016. I noticed one day a small puddle of what I figured likely was coolant. I decided to take the wait and see approach as my car sits parked for several months at a time while I'm overseas. When I returned in early November I had a low coolant warning, so go the car in for service.

Not sure if the circuits are identical between our cars. Mine is a refresh 2016 and I believe there are a total of 3 multi-way valves:
- 4-way coolant valve, series/parallel
- 3-way coolant valve, radiator bypass
- 3-way coolant valve, chiller bypass

In my case, they had to replace the 3-way radiator bypass. If the leak seems to be right below the very front of the car, then that would be my guess as the most likely cause. If you're interested, total cost for me (Indianapolis service center) was $455. Valve was $165, labor $279, about $10 in sales tax on the valve.
Thanks, I’m kinda upset w this car. I purchased w an astounding 4300 miles. This will be second quasi major repair under 7k miles. The other was battery coolant heater which failed in northern Ohio causing me to drive in limp mode 220 miles. I do have the extended warranty but it does have a $200 deductible that should be waived w such low mileage. Thanks for the info!

Thanks, I’m kinda upset w this car. I purchased w an astounding 4300 miles. This will be second quasi major repair under 7k miles. The other was battery coolant heater which failed in northern Ohio causing me to drive in limp mode 220 miles. I do have the extended warranty but it does have a $200 deductible that should be waived w such low mileage. Thanks for the info!
I understand your frustration, but for certain wear/aging mechanisms, time is actually as much of or can be a bigger factor than miles driven. That's potentially true at times with fluid leaks where seals can deteriorate over time due to exposure to some of the components of coolant or other fluids. Actually lack of use at times can be worse in these cases than high usage. I did not ask to see the old valve they replaced in my case to know if it was a structural crack in connections versus a seal leak.

Your extended service agreement cost is $200 per visit. In this situation, I'd take the watchful waiting approach. If it's like mine, and obviously slow leak/weep, the next indication you'll have is a low coolant warning. In my case I drove the car probably 4k miles taken multiple road trips to Michigan, Iowa, and Kansas, before I got the low coolant warning. If you take the car in now, you'll pay $200 for this one repair. If you wait, have something else, like a 12V battery, door handle, etc., then you'll pay $200 total for the combination of a few different repairs.

Just my two cents.