Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RDU/LDU coolant bypass innovation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been a recent rear drive unit/large drive unit innovation/modification from both Tesla and QC Charge for 2012-2014 Tesla Model S (all) and 2015-2020 Tesla Model S and X, Performance versions only, rear drive motor only.

Tesla calls it their new "U" seal delete manifold version. QC Charge calls it coolant delete. Both are to mitigate the leaking seal issue with these drive units.

Are both innovations/modifications the same? My understanding is they are in that the coolant that is provided to the rotor/stator is bypassed so that the coolant goes directly to the 3 x ICBTs in the inverter and then through the gear box heat sink, then out.

Pros/cons? While the leaking seal issue is "bypassed", would then the rotor/stator risk failing due to no cooling? Or is that risk so minimal to offset the leaking seal issue?

Here's QC Charge link COOLANT DELETE Tesla Large Drive Unit

Pics are Tesla's invoice and drive unit label for similar revision.

RDU.pngRDU new.jpg

There has been a recent rear drive unit/large drive unit innovation/modification from both Tesla and QC Charge for 2012-2014 Tesla Model S (all) and 2015-2020 Tesla Model S and X, Performance versions only, rear drive motor only.
A correction to your scope above: Tesla produced non-performance RWD cars until late 2017, all of which had the large rear drive units subject to the defect being discussed.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
Update: For those visual learners, like me, this video (cued to start) by Prof Kelly explains the entire large/rear drive unit cooling process. It's my understanding that the coolant delete/seal delete manifold version simply stops the first path from inlet through rotor tube. The coolant path instead starts through the stator, then to the IGBTs in the inverter, then to the cooling nobs on the gear drive, and finally back out.

Reactions: David Harvey

$499

I'm starting to research options. I believe my car is in scope. 2016.5 S 75 RWD. 150k miles. So far car runs fine, but I want to keep it forever. Is it wise to ask Tesla to check it before the warranty expires?

$499

I'm starting to research options. I believe my car is in scope. 2016.5 S 75 RWD. 150k miles. So far car runs fine, but I want to keep it forever. Is it wise to ask Tesla to check it before the warranty expires?
You could ask Tesla to check out and unless there are any alerts, you'll be charged a disagnostics fee. Even, then there's no guarantees you'll have any out of warranty issue. It's a crap shoot.

$499

I checked mine the week before warranty expired, there was clearly coolant on the speed sensor.
Booked it in for Tesla to confirm, after an unnecessary & ridiculous argument, they have agreed to replace it under warranty. Ready to collect today & hopefully I can get more than 8 years & 165k out of this motor (assuming it is revision U…if not, I feel there’s another argument!).

I checked mine the week before warranty expired, there was clearly coolant on the speed sensor.
Booked it in for Tesla to confirm, after an unnecessary & ridiculous argument, they have agreed to replace it under warranty. Ready to collect today & hopefully I can get more than 8 years & 165k out of this motor (assuming it is revision U…if not, I feel there’s another argument!).
Remember that you are currently past 8 years, there is no warranty on the replacement Tesla just installed. Also, did Tesla replace with a reman or new?