Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this MCU or eMMC failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a May 2016 P90D. Lately it seems as though it’s taking a LITTLE longer for the IC to turn on when getting in the car.

A few times recently, I’ll get driving and realize the music isn’t on, or blinkers aren’t making any sound. The little blinker lights on the dash turn on, and the blinkers outside work, but no sound inside indicating they’re on and trying to make any music selection results in nothing.

I hold both buttons on the steering wheel until the main center screen goes black. Almost immediately the blinker sounds come back, but it takes a couple of minutes for the main center screen to come back up. When it does, everything functions normally.

Are these glitches? Signs that something is going belly up? If so, what does it sound like and what should I be looking to get repaired?

Thanks in advance.

@domodan: Essentially what my Jun 2016 90D has done. The IC has never been a problem but slow response; inop turn signals; driver assist warning on IC; totally blacked out MCU screen; and long reboot times are what I have had for the past 6 months or more. Tried replacing the MCU about that time but parts were never available where I was located (despite weeks in advance service appointments). I fall outside the warranty replacement with high mileage. The screen started to bubble at the top within the last month or so. Next week I go in for MCU2 upgrade. Not because it will do much for me but it is about the same price as MCU1 replacement. So I lose AM/FM (rarely if ever used) and gain Netflix and faster refresh speeds.

@domodan: Essentially what my Jun 2016 90D has done. The IC has never been a problem but slow response; inop turn signals; driver assist warning on IC; totally blacked out MCU screen; and long reboot times are what I have had for the past 6 months or more. Tried replacing the MCU about that time but parts were never available where I was located (despite weeks in advance service appointments). I fall outside the warranty replacement with high mileage. The screen started to bubble at the top within the last month or so. Next week I go in for MCU2 upgrade. Not because it will do much for me but it is about the same price as MCU1 replacement. So I lose AM/FM (rarely if ever used) and gain Netflix and faster refresh speeds.
I did the MCU2 upgrade this week. It’s incredible!

Reactions: Ciaopec
Be aware that you can search Tesla for recalls involving your VIN: VIN Recall Search | Tesla Service

Did that for mine, and didn't show. However, I do have an appointment for this Friday coming up to address an MCU issue (even post Tegra daughterboard upgrade/replacement), and a charge port issue.

I'm not expecting them to offer a replacement MCU. So I'll keep making appointments until the random reboots and Spotify issues stop.