Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Twitter going to distract Elon from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apparently Elon didn't have enough on his plate as it was. Will Elon's role as Chief Twit draw his focus away from Tesla, SpaceX, and his other ventures? We share our thoughts on his acquisition of Twitter and what it means for Tesla.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

This is a clip from Tesla Motors Club Podcast #25. The full podcast video is available here:
https://youtu.be/z-91WnZSOV4

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
There comes a time in the evolution of every new high tech company for early leadership to move on to more new ventures. This allows a newer kind of leadership to take the helm. The kind of folks with experience leading large mature companies. I have seen this repeatedly up close and personal during my time in Silicon Valley. Tesla is doing fine as a company, it past time for Elon to move on by separating any connection with Tesla management. Knowledgable analysts like Dan Ives and Ross Gerber have more or less said so. And Elon just might be starting to think this way. He brought that guy from China over to Austin recently, and of course, there are many senior managers at Tesla that can run things just fine. I wish the Board of Directors would take action along these lines, BUT since Elon, and his brother and one of the Murdochs are on the board i am not too optimistic the board will do that smart thing.
I fully agree. Will allow him to focus more on SpaceX and Boring company. A new leader at Tesla would most likely do a few things differently:
- Reset/properly set expectations and proper timelines for FSD
- Not be obsessed with "420" and "69" (this isnt 2002, its 2022)
-Not get distracted by making and selling flamethrowers, Shorts, Liquor bottles
- Re-allocate resources currently working on Games and Fart noises, to other more critical software needs
- Make decisions that are well thought out/well vetted, and ensure that internal leadership isnt blindsided with decisions that are first announced via Twitter, but rather, vet and announce major things internally, first. (courtesy)
-Utilize a "underpromise/overdeliver" mentality
-Stay out of political/religious type public discourse, with all public statements being exclusive to Tesla as a company/business.
-Establish a Tesla public relations team that will handle/vet Tesla related tweets, announcements, etc
-Remove existing videos from Teslas website that are fraudulent/show FSD doing something that it cant actually do and ensure any future video's/statements are factual vs fraudulent
-Remain in lockstep with Teslas General Counsel/Legal team to allow them to vet promises/statements/etc, before those statements being released publically.

The above is just a start.

Last edited:
I fully agree. Will allow him to focus more on SpaceX and Boring company. A new leader at Tesla would most likely do a few things differently:
- Reset/properly set expectations and proper timelines for FSD
- Re-allocate resources currently working on Games and Fart noises, to other more critical software needs
- Make decisions that are well thought out/well vetted, and ensure that internal leadership isnt blindsided with decisions that are first announced via Twitter, but rather, vet and announce major things internally, first. (courtesy)
-Utilize a "underpromise/overdeliver" mentality
-Stay out of political/religious type public discourse, with all public statements being exclusive to Tesla as a company/business.
-Establish a Tesla public relations team that will handle/vet Tesla related tweets, announcements, etc
-Remove existing videos from Teslas website that are fraudulent/show FSD doing something that it cant actually do and ensure any future video's/statements are factual vs fraudulent
-Remain in lockstep with Teslas General Counsel/Legal team to allow them to vet promises/statements/etc, before those statements being released publically.

The above is just a start.
So you’re proposing a merger with VAG Group, essentially.

No thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy and Zilla91
So you’re proposing a merger with VAG Group, essentially.

No thanks.
Nope. Proposing leadership that wont take Tesla the path it took Twitter...

This isnt Elon 1.0 who successfully developed Tesla. This is Elon 2.0 who is a bit...unstable...and whose decision making overall is costing him lawsuits, billions in wasted spend, and a horrible reputation at this point.

Last edited:
With who though?

Sales still appear to be breaking new records. That’s what matters.
Really? Because there are tons of cars "available now" with Tesla offering thousands off and free supercharging miles. I think you're underestimating the fact that most of the kind of people that buy Teslas are getting pissed off by his antics. I was a big supporter. No longer.

A strategy to hurt other manufacturers who got cut off on 8/16/22.
They have too much inventory.

Screenshot_2022-12-19 16.42.16_lqsGRq.png

Reactions: Nolakai and 2101Guy
They have too much inventory.

View attachment 886884

I think that chart is a bit misleading as it largely reflecting supply chain and other issues that many automakers and other companies have seen off and on over the past year or so.

The "too much inventory" situation is not a new thing as there were also many quarters pre-COVID when Tesla had a lot of inventory.

With who though?

Sales still appear to be breaking new records. That’s what matters.
Please reference which sales on which continent for which months. Here in the US Elon's reputation has sunk plenty just the last couple months. His reprehensible tweets about Pelosi's husband and Dr Fauci have alienated many folks. Not to mention many other statements and actions. I dont expect Q4 sales in US to be that great.

• Funny
Really? Because there are tons of cars "available now" with Tesla offering thousands off and free supercharging miles. I think you're underestimating the fact that most of the kind of people that buy Teslas are getting pissed off by his antics. I was a big supporter. No longer.
I was also a huge supporter and recommended Tesla for the past two + years, but having difficulties doing that now. Not because it is not a great car and FSDb is not a great accomplishment , but rather it has failed to live up to the performance that was its selling point. I never expected a fully autonomous robo-taxi in 2022, but I expected a vehicle that did not stop in traffic for no reason or one that continually moves into the wrong lane cutting off other cars to correct itself. Committing to items that you do not have proof can be accomplished on schedule can be ( and is ) the downfall of some potentially great companies. There will always be the loyal "no matter what happens" customers, but they do not represent a large enough portion of the purchasing public to sustain a company. I think Tesla is beginning to reach that next group of car buyers and they are going to demand the performance they were promised or go elsewhere.

Reactions: Wilber
Short answer is kind of. Twitter will distract Elon for the simple fact that an hour at Twitter is an hour not spent at something else. I however do not believe Twitter will have any measurable significant impact on Elon devoting resources to Tesla. While i've heard many different arguments from both sides of this, Elon is a necessity at the helm of Tesla, however not really in a position of "sleeping at the factory" kind of needed per say. This will be short term noise, and it will be noisier than the short seller attacks in 2018-2019. It will however be short lived, and once its over everyone will forget it ever happened at the snap of a finger once it stops being 24/7 world news.

Status
Not open for further replies.