Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is using NFC tags on your Tesla safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen some YouTube videos that explain how to attach NFC tags to your Tesla to do things like opening the frunk or to unlock the vehicle. Basically, you scan the NFC tag using your phone and the phone will order the Tesla to perform the programmed action, such as unlocking the car. The Tesla app now allows to program actions into the iOS Shortcuts app and those actions can be triggered with NFC tags.

I've also been reading about NFC tags and it seems that they are capable of storing information and able to be erased and rewritten to. I don't know what information NFC tags contain when they are programmed, but I am concerned about the ability of the NFC tag to hold information in its memory and if attached to a publicly parked vehicle would any hacker be able to approach your vehicle, scan the NFC tag attached to your Tesla and obtain sensitive information from the NFC tag. So my question is regarding the safety of attaching NFC tags to Tesla vehicles, and if it is possible for an attacker to somehow create its own key to steal the car by scanning an NFC tag attached to the vehicle. Thanks.

If you program the actions in your phone instead of programming the actual NFC tag then there is no security issue. It’s just telling your phone when NFC tag with serial xyz123 is detected, then tell this app to do this thing. Anyone else scanning the tag won’t do anything because there’s no information in the tag itself.

If you program the NFC tag with the URL for a command with a valid access token for your car, then anyone can scan it to trigger the function.

Reactions: Mario Veras