Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has UWB hardware made it into HW4 vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
History

Back in 2021, there was much excitement around Tesla FCC filings for UWB (Ultra-Wideband) and an article theverge ran. Of course, Tesla now allows you to unlock your car with your phone in your pocket without UWB using just Bluetooth...so is it even needed? Did these UWB devices ever make it into currently shipping HW4 vehicles?

Since then, there's been almost no new news about Tesla and UWB despite Tesla having current-year FCC filings (including that B-Pillar which has action dates in Sept 2023). I don't have access to a spectrum analyzer to try and figure out if the vehicles are transmitting in UWB frequency ranges above the typical 2.4Ghz used by Bluetooth and don't want to tear down my B-Pillar looking for a UWB chip.

Why does UWB matter?

The real value in UWB for keyless entry is the improvement in security especially with the round of RF Relay Attack news bytes going around (like this one). More specifically, use of the Time of Flight measurement capabilities built into UWB allow "centimeter level accuracy" which would easily thwart relay attacks. It's important to note that this doesn't appear to work to drive a Tesla but can be used to unlock one (PIN to drive was also added to help improve 'security' but that's a pain).

Separately, UWB would be useful for understanding distance to the vehicle in an environment without GPS. A good example would be a parking garage with Tesla Superchargers a few levels underground to help you find your vehicle after shopping or something (today on iOS - your 'parked car' is only a GPS location based on your disconnect from your vehicle's handsfree bluetooth). Go a step further, and Teslas could understand their position relative to other Teslas.

Tesla's absence from UWB working bodies

Finally, while the various consortiums that are interested in the relevant standards are consolidating and forming working groups, Tesla is noticeably absent from all of them. Most of the car manufacturers have joined the Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC) while most of the chip and hardware manufacturers have joined the FiRa Consortium. Just last month, the two consortiums formed a joint working group together (here and here) but most of this is around the CCC Digital Key and related use cases.

Maybe Tesla's absent because they already handle all of the use cases for CCC Digital Key without needing UWB and it's everyone else just trying to catch up with Tesla?

Hardware Support for UWB
Regardless, Apple iPhones since iPhone11 (minus the SE) support UWB and Apple has done solid work with their newer Nearby API designed for UWB devices. They also have the best example of UWB in the wild with Airtags (directionality is not possible using bluetooth alone but UWB solves this limitation). Android added UWB support in Android 13, and more and more Android hardware will support it over time.

Bottom line, it's at least interesting to consider use cases Tesla may consider for UWB especially where Tesla Vision may fall short of expectations. Sadly though -- I can't figure out how UWB solves my HW4 auto-wiper problem 🌧️. Anyone have other cool use cases they can think of? Useful for assembly lines? Service Center lots? Very accurate distance measurement between vehicles and superchargers?

And finally I get some replies given the 2024.2.3 update with UWB support for some vehicles. :) NotATeslaApp has a decent write up related to the news. Glad to see it coming out at least for some.

Two items though:
1. The article does not discuss the replay attack prevention I discuss above. Depending on how Tesla implemented in their app, this could be the biggest advantage for using UWB and could easily make PIN to drive almost fully unnecessary

2. I found a lot of FCC filings with UWB including a model Y B pillar. 2024.2.3 is rolling to ModelYs (rollout heatmap) but I’m not optimistic based on the article I’ll get UWB which is a darn shame if true. I’ll report back after my 23MYP updates.

Also note that Apple Watch 6 and above also have UWB capabilities. For anyone wanting Apple’s perspective on nearby interactions, there are some good details here.

And here’s a reasonably accurate list of UWB devices if you’re trying to figure out if your Android phone might support it (no guarantees though since the ecosystem remains fragmented and just because it has UWB doesn’t mean it is available and has been implemented in the Tesla App)

Reactions: Daniel L
This will be a big plus as the existing phone key works but as described in the article, it needs a little help every so often. Hopefully this new feature will be compatible on our 2022 MS. Unfortunately all existing MY and M3 owners will not see this feature unless you are waiting for the new M3 where it does work.

Unfortunately all existing MY and M3 owners will not see this feature
I know it says that but I can't find the source of that information...guessing some user reports.

Could be like the rear seat bluetooth headphone issue where some additional hardware was required to work on the earlier refresh MS
No need to wait and see on this - UWB does require additional hardware because it operates on different RF frequencies.

Here's Tesla's FCC filing for the B-Pillar endpoint with UWB support (the main one since it also supports NFC...tapping of the tesla card/phone in some cases - their confidentiality period has expired so everything is viewable). What's most interesting is that this was back in mid-2021... so I assume any reason not to include the updated, UWB-capable endpoints was simply to keep costs down.
  • 13.56 MHz is NFC
  • 2.4GHz is Bluetooth
  • 6.5-8GHz is UWB
The User Manual gives a description of the other UWB endpoints for an equipped vehicle (B Pillar Endpoint, Fascia Endpoint, and also the Tesla Key fob interestingly enough). The external photos can help you recognize exactly what this is. The internal photos show the antenna design.

• Informative
Reactions: dsm363
Some people are reporting that the upgrade your phone key option is showing up for their first gen Model 3. Another report of it showing up for a person with Model Y on 24.2.2 - these are all anecdotal

I'll update if it pops up for my 23 X or 22 Y AND it shows up on the UWB devices seen on the phone

I know it says that but I can't find the source of that information...guessing some user reports.

No need to wait and see on this - UWB does require additional hardware because it operates on different RF frequencies.

Here's Tesla's FCC filing for the B-Pillar endpoint with UWB support (the main one since it also supports NFC...tapping of the tesla card/phone in some cases - their confidentiality period has expired so everything is viewable). What's most interesting is that this was back in mid-2021... so I assume any reason not to include the updated, UWB-capable endpoints was simply to keep costs down.
  • 13.56 MHz is NFC
  • 2.4GHz is Bluetooth
  • 6.5-8GHz is UWB
The User Manual gives a description of the other UWB endpoints for an equipped vehicle (B Pillar Endpoint, Fascia Endpoint, and also the Tesla Key fob interestingly enough). The external photos can help you recognize exactly what this is. The internal photos show the antenna design.
They would really install most of the hardware on their more expensive cars (S and X) and even as of 2024 not be installing hardware necessary for this feature while putting it in their cheaper cars? Tesla is a really odd company sometimes.

Uhm, I got an "improve your phone key" (not sure of exact wording) but that was to change settings to "always allow" location access. The UWB change is to allow "Nearby Interactions"

Yeah that's been there for several months. "Improve Phone Key: Set Location Access to Always to provide a more reliable location when you return to your vehicle".

This was their last attempt to help make opening in the car more reliable than just bluetooth. It does help but it will drain your phone's battery quite a bit faster. Rather than simply looking for your car via bluetooth, it does what's called 'region monitoring', which allows GPS geofencing of certain areas (say, where your car is parked) so that as you are walking back to it, and breach that geofence, the Tesla app gets a callback to wake up and I'm betting, attempt to wake the car up. Regions can also be defined using bluetooth instead of GPS but most often it's GPS.

You're correct - on iPhone, an app needs access to "Nearby Interactions" to access UWB. (except for Apple Apps like 'Find My' which won't show it even though they use it)

Yeah that's been there for several months. "Improve Phone Key: Set Location Access to Always to provide a more reliable location when you return to your vehicle".

This was their last attempt to help make opening in the car more reliable than just bluetooth. It does help but it will drain your phone's battery quite a bit faster. Rather than simply looking for your car via bluetooth, it does what's called 'region monitoring', which allows GPS geofencing of certain areas (say, where your car is parked) so that as you are walking back to it, and breach that geofence, the Tesla app gets a callback to wake up and I'm betting, attempt to wake the car up. Regions can also be defined using bluetooth instead of GPS but most often it's GPS.

You're correct - on iPhone, an app needs access to "Nearby Interactions" to access UWB. (except for Apple Apps like 'Find My' which won't show it even though they use it)
Got that prompt on a HW3 Model X on two phones, but nothing shows up under Nearby interactions

Haven't got any prompt on my HW4 S yet, but my S hasn't gotten the 2024.2 update yet either