Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your windshield distortion this bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Model S is known to have an extreme among of curvature compared to other makes. This is fact. I went to a couple of Clearplex windshield film installers and one of them simply will not install on my 2023 MSP due to this innate design “feature”.

Some are more sensitive to the distortion than others. It is what it is.

I had a Lotus Esprit with one of the flattest windshields known to man, and my installer had a hard time installing ClearPlex on it because that stuff is horrible to install on any car. They just flat out couldn't do it on my Lamborghini, which is only slightly more curved than the Lotus, so they gave up and gave me my money back.

The moral of this story is that using ClearPlex to make excuses for Tesla doing zero quality control and buying and installing crappy windshields on $100K cars is absolutely ridiculous.

I am sure Tesla gets a big discount for every distorted windshield they purposely buy from their lowest-bidder manufacturer. If you do some research, you'll learn that distorted glass is from poor manufacturing techniques and there are even automated systems for performing quality control on windshields to reject ones with distortion. Tesla has zero excuses for this nonsense. Zero.

I can't count how many cars I have driven in the last 43 years from the best to the worst manufacturers, and in many different countries, and I have never come across any car that has noticeable distortion right in front of the driver's and/or passenger's view. I have driven cars (e.g. Porsche 911) that have distortion when you look across the windshield, but never straight ahead. When it's straight ahead, it's complete garbage.

Reactions: stefanre and ks1972
I would take your car back to service and show them these photo's. There will most always have some distortion on an angle like that. They mostly only look straight ahead.
If they still will not replace it, you can always replace it on your own dime. Your Wife can also raise her seat up to get a more clear view of the road ahead.
Looking out a curved laminated safety glass window at an angle will most always result in some distortion.

If they are like my SC, they will just flat out deny they see anything. I put little tape marks on my windshield for every distortion that was straight ahead of the driver's view, and they did a test drive and removed all my tape marks and wrote on the ticket that they saw zero distortion. I had even gone to great effort to create and include a video showing very clearly all the distortion using the lines in the patterns of a garage door for illustration. Many of them are just a bunch of liars.

Last edited:
I had a Lotus Esprit with one of the flattest windshields known to man, and my installer had a hard time installing ClearPlex on it because that stuff is horrible to install on any car. They just flat out couldn't do it on my Lamborghini, which is only slightly more curved than the Lotus, so they gave up and gave me my money back.

The moral of this story is that using ClearPlex to make excuses for Tesla doing zero quality control and buying and installing crappy windshields on $100K cars is absolutely ridiculous.

I am sure Tesla gets a big discount for every distorted windshield they purposely buy from their lowest-bidder manufacturer. If you do some research, you'll learn that distorted glass is from poor manufacturing techniques and there are even automated systems for performing quality control on windshields to reject ones with distortion. Tesla has zero excuses for this nonsense. Zero.

I can't count how many cars I have driven in the last 43 years from the best to the worst manufacturers, and in many different countries, and I have never come across any car that has noticeable distortion right in front of the driver's and/or passenger's view. I have driven cars (e.g. Porsche 911) that have distortion when you look across the windshield, but never straight ahead. When it's straight ahead, it's complete garbage.
I'm just responding to the op's question - at ease homey. Maybe your Clearplex installer sucks 🤷🏻

I have zero issues with distortion on my 23 msp.

Last edited: