Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S windshield Distortion resolution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jhornik

Aug 29, 2022
NC
Help! I have had my windshield replaced already and the distortion went from severe to medium. Local SC says windshield passes all quality checks. SC refuses to replace it a 2nd time and also refuses to escalate to this problem to Tesla corporate. I read here others are having similar issues.

How can I get a distortion free windshield? Please share success stories and advice

Help! I have had my windshield replaced already and the distortion went from severe to medium. Local SC says windshield passes all quality checks. SC refuses to replace it a 2nd time and also refuses to escalate to this problem to Tesla corporate. I read here others are having similar issues.

How can I get a distortion free windshield? Please share success stories and advice
Where is your distortion located? If it's really low down across the width of the glass, then it's common.

Where is your distortion located? If it's really low down across the width of the glass, then it's common.
The distortion is on the passenger side as seen by the driver. Yes, a big blotch is low near the defrost vent. However there are two 1.5" by 6" peaks also in that area. Sucks as when I look through that area for safety, this distortion is the first thing I see. For $100,000, I expected a defect free car but this is quite a nuisance and an irratation

Can you tell me how to escalate to Tesla corporate and everything I have tried has not worked = (4) letters and (4) emails and requests on the support phone number and also requests at my local SC. Nothing has moved the needle to get Tesla Corporate's attention....

The distortion is on the passenger side as seen by the driver. Yes, a big blotch is low near the defrost vent. However there are two 1.5" by 6" peaks also in that area. Sucks as when I look through that area for safety, this distortion is the first thing I see. For $100,000, I expected a defect free car but this is quite a nuisance and an irratation

Can you tell me how to escalate to Tesla corporate and everything I have tried has not worked = (4) letters and (4) emails and requests on the support phone number and also requests at my local SC. Nothing has moved the needle to get Tesla Corporate's attention....

You may have trouble with this, especially the first part. Every single Model S refresh has distortion as described when you look across to the passenger side. Conversely, if you sit in the passenger, seat, you'll see the very same distortion across at the driver's position. The other distorted parts, - I can't comment on. On my 2021 Plaid I had a localized small area of bad distortion in line of sight which the SC could easily see and agreed was way beyond acceptable. The replacement was fine, but in all cases, and in my 2022 Plaid, the windshield shows rippling distortion when viewing across the windshield. You won't get this resolved with a new one.

Buy a BMW.

Seriously. Tesla’s glass absolutely stinks. It’s worse than any entry-level vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Reactions: WilliamG

can you post some pics?

You can’t. They don’t care. There is no formal escalation process.
So there is no escalation process? I pay $100,000 and just have to live with a defective windshield? If yes, this is a horrible customer experience. Is it worthwhile to escalate/open a dispute in BBB or the National Center for Dispute Settlement and similar organizations? What ever happened to the Tesla executive contact link that was available in 2020 but discontinued in 2021? It was on the website and now there is no official way to escalate a problem? Is there any way to contact Elon or anyone in a responsible position at Tesla? This is not the way to gain customers...but it appears customer satisfaction is not one of Tesla's business objectives......

So there is no escalation process?
Correct.

Is it worthwhile to escalate/open a dispute in BBB or the National Center for Dispute Settlement and similar organizations?
Might make you feel better but I don’t see anything coming of it.

it appears customer satisfaction is not one of Tesla's business objectives......
Correct, at least until it starts affecting their bottom line.

As of now - they don’t care. All formal escalation procedures are gone. Furthermore it appears that this is a very common if not universal quality control problem, so it’s not like they could magic you a perfectly clear piece of glass at this point even if they wanted to…

Thanks for the education. I guess I learned a valuable lesson and will not purchase another Tesla again. Although the Model S is a great car, the lack of a long term focus on customer satisfaction is a massive problem for brand allegiance. When I make a change, there will be more high end EV's and this lack of customer focus from Tesla will exclude Teslas from my choices.

Thanks again for the education......I am bummed....

• Helpful
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Carnook
So there is no escalation process? I pay $100,000 and just have to live with a defective windshield? If yes, this is a horrible customer experience. Is it worthwhile to escalate/open a dispute in BBB or the National Center for Dispute Settlement and similar organizations? What ever happened to the Tesla executive contact link that was available in 2020 but discontinued in 2021? It was on the website and now there is no official way to escalate a problem? Is there any way to contact Elon or anyone in a responsible position at Tesla? This is not the way to gain customers...but it appears customer satisfaction is not one of Tesla's business objectives......
Correct. Tesla has your $100K and no longer gives a flying F about you.

Make no mistake about it, this service model is implemented from the top. There is no escalation path by design.

I’m also waiting for the competition to catch up. No way this level of CS goes unchecked for much longer.

Thanks for the education. I guess I learned a valuable lesson and will not purchase another Tesla again. Although the Model S is a great car, the lack of a long term focus on customer satisfaction is a massive problem for brand allegiance. When I make a change, there will be more high end EV's and this lack of customer focus from Tesla will exclude Teslas from my choices.

Thanks again for the education......I am bummed....

The saddest part of this is that prior to the launch of the Model 3 and service centers getting completely overwhelmed, people said Tesla had some of the very best customer service in the game.

Elon is all about efficiency and unfortunately for customer service, escalations and personal points of contact are not efficient.

Correct. Tesla has your $100K and no longer gives a flying F about you.

Make no mistake about it, this service model is implemented from the top.
I have been saying this since the Model 3 release and got chastised for it, look where Tesla owners are now and it is going to get worse. Tesla owners are starting to protest in Norway over the lack of service. Your only recourse is to possibly get a lawyer for the windshield distortion.

I have been saying this since the Model 3 release and got chastised for it, look where Tesla owners are now and it is going to get worse. Tesla owners are starting to protest in Norway over the lack of service. Your only recourse is to possibly get a lawyer for the windshield distortion.
If OP is going with a lawyer, I hope they opted out of the binding arbitration clause that every Tesla owner is automatically entered into at purchase.

Otherwise…good luck with that.

If OP is going with a lawyer, I hope they opted out of the binding arbitration clause that every Tesla owner is automatically entered into at purchase.

Otherwise…good luck with that.
Binding arbitration clauses can be cancelled in court under certain circumstances, example...... If a company has a history of defective parts or negligent behavior that can be proven, arbitration clauses do not apply.

Is the windshield on the refresh the same as the previous Model S?

If so, maybe there are other brands of glass for this car. At this point, if I need to spend $1200 out of pocket to get rid of the distortion so I can enjoy my $100K car every time I drive it, I will do it.

Is the windshield on the refresh the same as the previous Model S?

If so, maybe there are other brands of glass for this car. At this point, if I need to spend $1200 out of pocket to get rid of the distortion so I can enjoy my $100K car every time I drive it, I will do it.

I asked my favorite glass guy, and he said he has to get the windshield from Tesla, so another manufacturer is not an option.

Clearly, just asking my glass guy about a Tesla triggered him. He said, "Tesla transfers the bad service to everyone." He then suggested I Lemon Law the car, LOL!

That's not a good sign.