Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the glass distortion still a problem for ‘24 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all disturbing news. Tesla should be inspecting the quality of the glass they receive, and reject the glass and penalize the company that makes it for them if it doesn't meet minimum quality. I don't remember the pre 2021+ S having a big problem with bad glass. There, really, is no excuse. If it happens, it should be remedied quickly.
I suspect it does meet minimum quality, especially if the distortion isn't even noticable with careful inspection and only noticable when driving the car for a while. If the process is like the how it's made video, distortion isn't even checked for, only other defects like marks, cracks, and contaminants in the glass. And even the other video with a test chart, it would only detect very obvious large distortion, not small ones where it's only visible at a certain angle and viewing position.

I suspect it does meet minimum quality, especially if the distortion isn't even noticable with careful inspection and only noticable when driving the car for a while. If the process is like the how it's made video, distortion isn't even checked for, only other defects like marks, cracks, and contaminants in the glass. And even the other video with a test chart, it would only detect very obvious large distortion, not small ones where it's only visible at a certain angle and viewing position.
I have never heard of this issue on any other car manufacturer, except very rare instances. I have never had this problem in my lifetime, and luckily my Tesla is fine. It seems this is a continuing issue that buyers need to be aware of. Very strange.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I have never heard of this issue on any other car manufacturer, except very rare instances. I have never had this problem in my lifetime, and luckily my Tesla is fine. It seems this is a continuing issue that buyers need to be aware of. Very strange.
There are no statistics to show if this is more prevalent in Teslas or not.

But with a quick Google it's not hard to find examples of the big 3 German brands with the same issues, with comments saying even that it's not uncommon (meaning the dealer says it's not the only case even at their particular dealer):
Windshield Distortion
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/622168-windshield-distortion.htm
Warped windshield?

Looked it up, for Japanese big three luxury brands also and the story is similar (in some models every car on the lot had the same distortion; in some cases corporate and dealer even denied replacement saying it was characteristic of the glass):
Windshield Distortion - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Windshield distortion - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
Windshield causing eye strain & headaches

So from the above, contrary to claims by others above, it seems none of the other luxury brands check their glass for distortion either, or they do and they deem it "acceptable" for their standards.

Last edited:
For me, the glass has definitely been an issue.

I just picked up a 2024 Model S and, unfortunately, definitely lots of glass issues. I inspected carefully before accepting; however, it wasn't noticeable until I drove the car:
  • Windshield has vertical ripples on passenger side. Makes straight lines look jagged.
  • Rear hatch glass is just a total mess, but I know that is kind of just the way it is (even though it shouldn't)
  • Passenger front window is distorted enough to make passengers carsick.
  • Driver side-view mirror is actually slightly convex and distorts objects. I have never seen a distorted mirror before and was quite surprised by this.
Honestly, wouldn't have accepted the car if I caught this during pre-delivery inspection, but it just wasn't detectable until driving with other objects passing-by. The passenger window is a really big issue with car sickness.

I have an appointment next week to have these glass components swapped out and asked service that I personally inspect them prior to installation. That being said, still might not know for sure until it is installed and the car is in motion.

To make this feel even worse, this Model S was a replacement for a buy-back Model X which, amongst MANY other issues, also had distorted front-passenger glass, which also made my wife and other passengers car sick in the same way. It was bad enough that we did a 6hr road trip through the White Mountains and my wife had to sit in the back because just a short time looking out that front window induces motion sickness. The second time we did this trip we decided to take the Model 3 purely because of the passenger window.

If they can't provide OEM glass that isn't defective, the two options are:
  1. Find a third-party glass supplier and hope for the best
  2. Buy-back (...again...)
It's just not acceptable for a $100k car to have warped glass that makes your passengers nauseous.
Yep, junk. I dumped my Plaid PoS a couple months back. Got vibration?! Rhetorical.

I think as a rule Tesla doesn't inspect much of anything.

I think it's gotten worse than Tesla just not doing quality inspections. I bet Tesla knows these are factory seconds and buys them anyway at a steep discount to install on the cars. They have gotten away with so much related to poor build quality, and they know the fanboys will coming running as fast as they can to defend Tesla with a mountain of whataboutism. Now they are absolutely desperate to save every penny at the expense of owners, even for $100K vehicles, that it all makes sense that they would intentionally buy factory seconds. I am sure there are big bonuses in place for supply chain and manufacturing staff to find unique ways to cut costs.

Reactions: jebinc
I think it's gotten worse than Tesla just not doing quality inspections. I bet Tesla knows these are factory seconds and buys them anyway at a steep discount to install on the cars. They have gotten away with so much related to poor build quality, and they know the fanboys will coming running as fast as they can to defend Tesla with a mountain of whataboutism. Now they are absolutely desperate to save every penny at the expense of owners, even for $100K vehicles, that it all makes sense that they would intentionally buy factory seconds. I am sure there are big bonuses in place for supply chain and manufacturing staff to find unique ways to cut costs.
Yep, they’re pumping out a lot of garbage lately, and the meteoric fall of their stock prices reflects that.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Zero distortions on our 2022 Model S or 2022 Model Y (I use progressive glasses).

I wonder if those who are seeing distortions are using polarized glasses or glasses with special coatings. They tend to make invisible distortions visible and magnified. It might explain why many have zero problems and a few see problems in every car.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Zero distortions on our 2022 Model S or 2022 Model Y (I use progressive glasses).

I wonder if those who are seeing distortions are using polarized glasses or glasses with special coatings. They tend to make invisible distortions visible and magnified. It might explain why many have zero problems and a few see problems in every car.
Nope. No offense meant (truly), but you just don't see it. Don't go looking for it. This is in regard to windshield and rear glass. The side glass? My 2021 refresh was AWFUL in that regard, in terms of weird barrel distortion etc, but my 2022 refresh has none of that.

Reactions: jebinc
This is my March 2024 MSLR, still debating whether I should ask for a replacement, anyone got lucky with a replacement that is actually distortion free?

Attachments

• IMG_2625.jpeg
    IMG_2625.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
From what I understand, pretty much none of the front or rear glass is distortion free. I can barely tell it exists in the front on my model S -- and I think some of the distortion there is coming from the PET heat reflective layer.

For the rear.. I mean pretty much every Tesla has a pretty useless rear view anyway, so it doesn't bother me too much. The camera is at least useful.

Side glass should be possible to have distortion free, or at least minimal.

This is my March 2024 MSLR, still debating whether I should ask for a replacement, anyone got lucky with a replacement that is actually distortion free?
Regarding the back glass, I don't think I've seen one that was right.

I have an appointment to get the windshield, rear hatch, front-passenger, and driver side-view mirror replaced on the 29th.

Will report back with results.

Reactions: T3SLA90D