Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the glass distortion still a problem for ‘24 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fstr

Oct 31, 2018
Seattle
I am a long time owner of a M3P. Love the car, but I want something more reasonable for long trips and going up to the snow. I sat in a 23’ Model S today, and noticed some minor distortion in the driver side window. Doing a bit of searching, it looks like the ‘21 refresh may have brought with it some bad glass distortion.

Has Tesla figured this out yet? Will a ‘24 Model S still be a crap shoot?

I am a long time owner of a M3P. Love the car, but I want something more reasonable for long trips and going up to the snow. I sat in a 23’ Model S today, and noticed some minor distortion in the driver side window. Doing a bit of searching, it looks like the ‘21 refresh may have brought with it some bad glass distortion.

Has Tesla figured this out yet? Will a ‘24 Model S still be a crap shoot?

We have glass distortion problems?

Reactions: cptnslo
Check it out before, of immediately after delivery. If the S comes with defective glass, you should be able to get it fixed, and the fix is easy and no one will know.

AGP of Peru makes the windshield for the X and S. It has always been laminated.

I owned 2 Model S. A 2014 and a 2015. No distortions. Then my windshield cracked and I had it replaced in fall of 2023. I noticed a small distortion when I looked a little to the right, right under the AP camera. It wasn't bad and it was not in my normal field of view looking forward, so I never bothered to tell Tesla after the replacement. My current Model Y has no distortions.

You just don’t see it. They all have it. Don’t go looking. Mark my words.

There's no need to diminish other's ability to know just as much as you do. Unless u believe u r the smartest one in the room, then good for u but u are wrong.

I have sat in many many other Tesla, tesla drove a ton of them before I got mine, and I always rent Tesla when traveling for work. I know and I can always find the distortion when there is any, even the smallest tiny spots. Mine has none of that. I went looking many times before, no need to mark your words.

There's no need to diminish other's ability to know just as much as you do. Unless u believe u r the smartest one in the room, then good for u but u are wrong.

I have sat in many many other Tesla, tesla drove a ton of them before I got mine, and I always rent Tesla when traveling for work. I know and I can always find the distortion when there is any, even the smallest tiny spots. Mine has none of that. I went looking many times before, no need to mark your words.
Respectfully, I disagree.

Reactions: jebinc
Respectfully, I disagree.
You can disagree and show as much ego as you want, but it’s my car, my eyes, and my evaluation seeing it myself. You disagreeing that a car u had never ever seen has glass distortion is non-sense and makes no difference, lol. Am not going to believe that there is distortion only because some random guy on a forum thinks that every Model S on the plant has distortion. That’s just BS.

You can disagree and show as much ego as you want, but it’s my car, my eyes, and my evaluation seeing it myself. You disagreeing that a car u had never ever seen has glass distortion is non-sense and makes no difference, lol. Am not going to believe that there is distortion only because some random guy on a forum thinks that every Model S on the plant has distortion. That’s just BS.
You got the special S with no distortion in the lower part of the back window, for example, - I guess? And... I'm not some random guy on a forum. I'm a random guy on a forum who's sat in more Model S refresh vehicles than I care to admit to, and have shared similar experiences to many here. As I said, I can disagree, and that's fine.

Reactions: jebinc
The distortion is real. Mine sucks. Tesla says they all (refreshed MS) have it to some degree.

To each…

My 2023 Model S Plaid has distortions, and the 2024 Model S I drove also had distortion. Knowing how glass is formed, I doubt anyone has a Model S without distortion. Remember, this glass is produced on an assembly line likely using the same tooling for all the refresh Model S vehicles, and maybe the pre-refresh versions as well. I find it highly unlikely that anyone has distortion-free glass on refresh Model S since mass production simply does not work that way. Once the problem is fixed, it is likely to stay fixed until the next major Model S change.

Joe

Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG