Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Temp in the car (In app)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opened my app this morning, and noticed the temp in the car showed 65 which is what I would have expected. I noticed it slowly climbing, and within 30 min it now shows 100 degrees and it is 65 and cloudy where I am at.

Anyone else seeing it? I am part of a Facebook group as well and there are 2 others seeing something similar. Tried logging out of the app, and nothing. Car itself does not feel anything close to 100 so there is either an issue in the app, or the sensors.

Pasted_Image_4_29_20__1_25_PM 2.png

Pasted_Image_4_29_20__1_25_PM.png

Air temp sensors will be unreliable without air flowing over them. I don't know where the Model 3's sensor is but without airflow I would expect it to be off.

Also, even though it's cloudy, a not insignificant amount of solar radiation will still reach the car, which will warm it up a decent amount with all the glass.

Definitely, I am just saying 60 to 100 degrees in 15 min is ridiculous. And it is clearly not 100 in the car as I am sitting in it

So I'm sitting in my car right now out on the driveway facing south. Windows have been rolled up for about two hours now (cleaned out the car in preparation for mobile service tomorrow). Overcast skies all morning. I have both a metalized sunscreen and the Tesla roof sunshade. No other aftermarket tints applied to the windows. Black interior. Outside temp is 74F. App reports inside temp of 103. Independent, but also uncalibrated, thermometer says it's 102 in here and it's still climbing (brought in from the house where it read 75 and allowed to stabilize after 10 minutes).

In short, yes it can be that hot inside your car. It's the reason why children and pets die inside closed cars every year.
15881947885302001909063.jpg

Edit: temperature seems to have topped out at 104.0 as it hasn't changed for a minute or two. I'm going back inside to my A/C house. It's like a sauna out here!

Edit2: note that outside temp was taken from the Tesla's screen. Weather app on my phone says it's 68 in San Jose but with the slight breeze, feels a little cooler. I've always thought that the car reads the outside temperature +5 degrees or so. Sitting here with the driver's door open and the passenger window down, the app says it's 98 inside while my cheapo thermometer is reading 84. Both seem to be higher than what I'm feeling in the driver's seat.

Last edited:
Several times exact situation...
High 60s outside. Inside temp 98 and rising.
Go to the car (feels like maybe high 70s inside car) and open all doors, cool breeze blowing through the car, inside of the car now feels like high 60s. Temp now reads 101. Has happened several times....total crap

this has NOTHING to do with the fact that it gets hot inside cars and don’t leave your dogs in the car blah blah blah. This has to do with grossly erroneous temperature readings

Reactions: Kennymb5384