Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Wireless Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings from Chicago. Recently picked up my AWD MY. I've been having issues with my Wireless charger. I have the Samsung Note 9 (6.37 x 3.01 x 0.35 in) and the wireless charging is sporadic. It would charge couple of minutes then stop charging. If I need to restart the wireless charging then I'll need to manually pick up the phone and put it back on the charger. Anyone experience this issue? Maybe it's happening on phone with a large screen? (6.4") Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

This seems to be a relatively common complaint as there are multiple threads already on this. My wife and I both have the same iPhone, mine charges without a problem, hers is exactly as you describe. The only difference is the size of the case. I've got a small thin one, she's got a large extra strong one. My guess is it's not the thickness of the case at the back but the thickness at the bottom. I think Tesla may have mounted their coils a little too close to the bottom edge.

I've ordered the Jeda Wireless Pad to go along with my Model Y USB Hub. I'll let you know if it solves the problem (once I get and install them). Extra benefit is I can run my phone in landscape mode on the charger. If it solves the problem and makes my wife happy, it's worth the investment to me.

This seems to be a relatively common complaint as there are multiple threads already on this. My wife and I both have the same iPhone, mine charges without a problem, hers is exactly as you describe. The only difference is the size of the case. I've got a small thin one, she's got a large extra strong one. My guess is it's not the thickness of the case at the back but the thickness at the bottom. I think Tesla may have mounted their coils a little too close to the bottom edge.

I've ordered the Jeda Wireless Pad to go along with my Model Y USB Hub. I'll let you know if it solves the problem (once I get and install them). Extra benefit is I can run my phone in landscape mode on the charger. If it solves the problem and makes my wife happy, it's worth the investment to me.

Awesome. Thank you for your response. I should have searched for other posts before writing this one. Can you share your experience with Jeda Wireless Pad once you install it? I'm thinking to do the same.

I posted this in a another thread, but to test if the issue is the pad, case or the position 1) lift up the charging pad 2) slide the bottom bezel towards the driver's side 3) lower it back down and position your phone a little lower.

I found that that the bezel doesn't allow a thicker case to slide under it properly. Maybe the Jedda space for $15 would do the trick. I'm going to order one with the Y USB Hub and see if it helps. I found that with the other aftermarket bezel I ordered, it's more flexible and I can force my phone under the lip and it charges.

Telsa charging pad.JPG