Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s been 8 days and Tesla hasn’t removed my old car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold my model 3 over a month ago to a dealer, failed to inform Tesla. Car was sold to customer. They started supercharging using my referral credits, so I quickly asked Tesla to remove the car from my account or disable supercharging. They said 3-5 business days. It’s now approaching 7 business days and the car is still on my account. I’ve tried my owner advisor, multiple chat sessions and I’m being told they are working on it. How can it be this hard? Also, Tesla said they will not reimburse the supercharging fees.

Tesla took three weeks+ to move the Model X we sold out of our account and onto the new owner. It took multiple emails and escalations. Did not have an issue with supercharging charges because the vehicle had free unlimited supercharging while I owned it. You don't need to report your card lost or stolen; your Bank can freeze charges from a single vendor. Replacing a credit card is a huge inconvenience when it comes to updating all your vendors and reoccurring costs. I don't know how Tesla handles chargebacks, but it will be on them to respond in the finance department once you file it with your Bank. I don't see any reason why they'd contest it, but the best bet is to try and let Tesla resolve it first. We've had vendors tell us to go through the dispute process with the Bank - it was the only process they had in place.

Sold my model 3 over a month ago to a dealer, failed to inform Tesla. Car was sold to customer. They started supercharging using my referral credits, so I quickly asked Tesla to remove the car from my account or disable supercharging. They said 3-5 business days. It’s now approaching 7 business days and the car is still on my account. I’ve tried my owner advisor, multiple chat sessions and I’m being told they are working on it. How can it be this hard? Also, Tesla said they will not reimburse the supercharging fees.

Not trying to hijack your thread but do you mind me asking how much you sold it to the dealer for and what were its specs. I love my car but it is too small for my family. I took it to a dealer today and I am waiting for a call back on trade in value.

Good luck. I had a totalled car on my account for months that Tesla wouldn't remove. Finally the new owner got it transferred off.

I suspect the new owner will have to call to speed up the process. Maybe you could communicate with them via Morse code horn honks? ;)

The scary thing is I think you could set a PIN to drive and disable the car for the new owner. Or unlock all the doors and pop the frunk and trunk. And you can see their location.

Tesla really needs to fix this issue with account transfers. It is a huge security issue.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I returned my original M3 (had serious defect) for another. Took about 2.5 months to get the original car off my account. Maybe just now the car has been sold to a new owner and that is why it came off of my account. Tried with the SC to get it removed, and ultimately sent an email, but never got a response. The car just fell off my account last week, finally.

When I sold my first Model S, I had done a factory reset so it was showing as "Mobile Access Disabled" in the app and was useless for it to be there. I emailed [email protected] in mid-July asking for help and got an automated email the next day indicating that it had been removed. It couldn't have been easier so I'm baffled to hear about how others are having trouble with this.

Is this just a rant, or are you looking to the forum for some advice, on the next step by step and process you should take resolve ?

Is this just a rant, or are you looking to the forum for some advice, on the next step by step and process you should take resolve ?

It's a partial rant, but I forgot to ask folks if they had a similar experience and if they had any advice.

To help this post become more beneficial to others, I'll outline the steps I took to remove the car:

Contacted Chat on 4/29, Chat initiated an e-mail from [email protected] to me that looked like this:

===========================================================
Thanks for contacting Tesla. In order to process this request, reply to this email to confirm your approval to remove Model 3 _ 5YJ3E1EA...... from your account. Please include the reason why. [Was it sold privately or traded into a third party dealership?]

If your car was totaled, provide a letter from your insurance company deeming the car a total loss.

Once we receive your approval, allow up to 3 to 5 business to complete the transfer. We will notify you by email once the car is removed.

In addition to our Support Page, please also check out our Account Support Page, which covers many frequently asked questions about your Tesla Account. You can reach us any time through your Tesla Account or [email protected].

We appreciate your business,
================================

I then replied to and said I sold the car to a dealership and authorize it to be removed from my account.

Chat support confirmed they saw the reply and said it can take 3-5 days for car to be removed. They also confirmed supercharging could not be disabled.

3 days later, I asked my owner adviser if she could escalate, she tried but never got a response.

After 5 days, I contacted support again, was told they were still working on it.

After 8 days, I contacted chat support and they said they couldn't find my e-mail asking for the car to be removed. I pasted a copy of my e-mail from support on 4/29 and they ended up finding it. Later that night, I received a response to my e-mail from 8 days earlier saying they were working on it (first response to the e-mail). Next day, car was gone.

The experience was frustrating because it seems like Tesla needs to get this processed figured out.

Hope this helps in some way.

• Informative
Reactions: tchockie