Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s happening (too?) fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After weeks of hemming and hawing, I finally placed my order last night. The main site said “Estimated Delivery - April,” and I was cool with that. Gave me plenty of time to shop for financing & insurance, pick out accessories, etc.

Later in the evening, the app gave me an updated delivery window between May 10th - June 7th. I didn’t want to wait quite that long, but I have also read enough around here to know not to put too much stock in those early estimates.

Then, this afternoon, less than 24 hours since ordering, my SA calls to say he has a VIN for me. Once I was assigned the VIN, the app updated to show a delivery window of March 11-14. It’s in Tampa (I think), which is about a 9-hour drive from me in New Orleans. Delivery fee is $549.

So now, all these decisions that I thought I’d have at least a month to make are now thrust upon me (I know a lot of ppl would love to have this problem, so I hope I don’t come off as some smug jerk). I had planned on stalking these MY forums over the next few weeks to gather info, but now I kind of need to cut to the chase.

1.) Not that $549 is going to break the bank or anything, but flying to Tampa and driving the car back might be quicker and cheaper than delivery. Wondering if there are any inherent downsides to driving the car back, other than the time involved?

2.) There is a Tesla pickup location in Pearl, MS, which is only 2.5 hours away. Would Tesla charge me to have the car delivered there for me to pick up? In other words, would I still have to pay the $549 destination fee to get it to Pearl?

3.) Any must-have accessories I should order via Amazon Prime tout suite? From what I’ve read, mudflaps, protective door films, screen protectors, all-weather mats, console organizers, portable SSDs and something to make the drink-holders work better all seem to be the main “go-to’s”. Any other must-haves?

4.) Other than financing & insurance, is there anything else I should be thinking about right now?

Please and thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats, that's super fast! Did you happen to order a Performance model? I ordered a LR last year and my estimated delivery date is in April of this year. :( At least it's coming up soon! :)

BTW I'll soon have to buy the "must-have"'s too, will monitor this thread! Here's mine so far, supposedly these are one of the best mats:
1. Tesmanian floor mats

Reactions: squirk
WOW, congrats, thats fast!
I guess thats the beauty of the Q1 push?
A lot of buyers pick up all their accessories and have to sit there and look at them while they wait.
Maybe pass on the goodies for now and concentrate on just getting the car, might save some anxiety?
I can't comment on any positives of flying out to pick up and drive back.
But, what if you fly out and there is an issue, something bad enough to reject pick up?
We rejected our first MYP because it did not have AS tires on it, we were told that it would.
Standing there looking at a beautiful red MYP in the sleet and freezing rain the day of pick up.
Just call in and check the VIN to be certain that the build has what you are expecting.
When we placed our order, everything was done in 24 hours, order, financing and trade in.
VIN in 2 weeks and pick up was in another 2 weeks.

Reactions: squirk
Did you happen to order a Performance model?

Well, I originally wanted a LR, but estimated delivery listed on the main site was August. I can’t wait that long, as I am in a rental due to my car getting totaled.

The other guy’s insurance is paying for the rental, but they won’t pay all the way through August. So I ordered the Performance for the quicker delivery.

But when my SA called today saying he had a VIN, it was for a LR (he knew I would have preferred a LR). So I got the car I originally wanted, and don’t have to pay the premium for the MYP just for the sake of faster delivery.

And kudos to Tesla for down-selling me to the cheaper car. They could have kept their mouth shut and let me buy the MYP at the additional premium, but they spoke up to get me the trim I wanted, even though they’ll make less money off the sale.

But, what if you fly out and there is an issue, something bad enough to reject pick up?
That’s a great question. I loathe Spirit Airlines, but they are, like, $70 each way between New Orleans and Tampa, even on close-in dates. It’d be a huge bummer to get out there and have to reject, but probably not a huge financial problem to get home.