Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't saying that larger format cells would help with those attributes, just that EV makers would like to "have their cake and eat it too" with easier to package larger cells, that also have improvements in many areas including the ones I mentioned.

Cost reduction is still probably the most important attribute we need improved though. If a pack that gives you 200+ miles costs $20K it will keep decent EVs out of the hands of the mainstream.

I wasn't saying that larger format cells would help with those attributes, just that EV makers would like to "have their cake and eat it too" with easier to package larger cells, that also have improvements in many areas including the ones I mentioned.
Cost reduction is still probably the most important attribute we need improved though. If a pack that gives you 200+ miles costs $20K it will keep decent EVs out of the hands of the mainstream.

Ok, I agree with that but kind of doubt they will manage to improve on anything. Competition is good but Sanyo, Panasonic, ... aren't small companies that don't really know how to optimize operating costs, lower production costs etc. Small format cells have much much larger volume that larger format cells would have. Even if say Mercedes builds their own battries the unit count would reach into few ten thousands per year at most. That means higher cost as with smaller format cells (like 18650) where production is in tens of millions per year.

Martin's decision to go with laptop cells just makes more and more sense.

Fewer larger cells would certainly be better. Fewer interconnects, simplified battery management, more temperature stability, simpler packaging/faster assembly, all which should lead to reduced costs.
Reduced cost of packaging but with much higher cost of cells. Where's the bennefit?

...more temperature stability...? Only if you build larger cells with cooling channels running through them. Otherwise you reduce the surface area to volume ratio. Which may be okay if your chosen cell chemistry is more resistant to the effects of higher average temperatures. But as we all know, cells with this property seem to have lower energy densities.

Reduced cost of packaging but with much higher cost of cells. Where's the bennefit?
At some point their should be a benefit. We don't really know the costs involved, but potentially one larger cell at x price could be less than 20 smaller cells at y price. At the factory level it doesn't take all that much more to wind up a large cell than a small cell. There is a reason our 12 volt starting batteries aren't made up from 6 individually packaged cells.

...more temperature stability...? Only if you build larger cells with cooling channels running through them. Otherwise you reduce the surface area to volume ratio. Which may be okay if your chosen cell chemistry is more resistant to the effects of higher average temperatures. But as we all know, cells with this property seem to have lower energy densities.
A larger mass changes temperature more slowly, simple as that. True that leaves less surface area for cooling but that doesn't mean it can't be enough. There may also be a more stable chemistry, one that may not necessarily have a lower energy density. Lower internal cell resistance should allow less heat buildup.

Some examples of larger format Lithium batteries:

miev_ph07.jpg

NASA_Lithium_Ion_Polymer_Battery.jpg

aesc-lithium-ion-battery.jpg

LiFePO4_Power_Battery_Faster_charging_and_safer_performance.jpg

Washington Post

Batteries Drive Everything

And here is a meaty reaction on PBP at Climate Progress

mercedes-battery-swap-small.jpg

And Mercedes Benz had an EV with battery swap.
GreenMotor: Mercedes: battery swapping is so last century - green car and electric vehicle blog - formerly Auto-IT.co.uk
In 1972, Mercedes built an electrically powered people carrier called the LE 306. Its 31kW (42hp) motor could zip it along at 70km/h (44mph), with a range of 65km (40 miles). A contemporary press release explained that the battery could be “recharged during breaks or replaced using what is known as push-through horizontal-exchange technology”. In other words, a bloke with a pair of pallet-style trolley-jack things could shove the old battery out of the vehicle while winching the new one in, horizontally. “This procedure, which to a large extent can be automated, takes no more than the time needed to fill up a vehicle’s tank,” the release added.

Last edited:
Washington Post

Batteries Drive Everything

And here is a meaty reaction on PBP at Climate Progress

While the post at Climate Progress pointed out very good points on the negatives of the battery swap idea, many of responses they posted seem to have the attitude that PHEVs are the be-all end-alls.

Seeing how BEVs are evolving I don't think that has to be the case. I think once people get used to the lifestyle of plugging in, there only need to be a few rapid charge stations (from our last discussion it seems building them actually aren't as much of a challenge as previously imagined, and by rapid chargers I'm referring to the existing Posicharge systems, not necessarily the faster "10 minute" charger that's making the news nowadays) or maybe even external range extenders to fill in the gaps, especially as battery capacity continues to grow to the point that a 300+ mile Roadster might not be too far ahead in the future. I still think the PHEVs will only be transition vehicles (which may be important to the growth the EVs).

Last edited:
The Car Battery Race: Showing Favorites? | BNET Auto Blog | BNET
Depew states flatly that Imara has the best li-ion technology on the market. “Our cells are delivering three to four times the cycle life of the best batteries that Sony and Sanyo have on the market,” he claims. Depew says that as many as 10 of the top 16 vehicle companies have come sniffing around Imara’s technology. “We’ve definitely had discussions,” he said.

Imara is ahead of many battery companies in that it already has manufacturing capacity in California, enough to finish a million cells a year, Depew said. It asked for $80 million in federal funding from the so far undistributed $25 billion Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan program to build the capacity to make 30 million cells a year.
imaracells2small.jpg