Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the law: Electric cars must make noise after September 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What really irks me about this silly NHTSA decision is that for over a decade now, cars like the Prius hybrid have been on the roads (and in massive numbers in places like California) and they are just as quiet at low parking lot speeds as any EV because at those low speeds they typically are running on battery only. But there was little or no pressure to address the "problem" they posed. Now BEVs are just starting to catch on and this is a serious issue that has to be addressed by adding an artificial noise to EVs?

I am sure that when the change is implemented, enterprising TMC members will post their "solution".

If we're forced into this then I want Tesla to give me the option to customize what noise it emits with no less than the following options:
  • Spaceship laser sounds
  • V8 engine to scare the little kids
  • Train chuga-chuga-chuga sounds
  • Tractor engine roaring
  • Star Wars theme song
  • Boat moving through water sounds
  • Helicopter noise
  • Jet engine
  • Sound of metal scraping along the pavement
  • Horse trotting
  • Cow mooing
  • Donkey braying
Then maybe I would be ok with this.

Ha, no worries, my 2013 S makes a ton of noise already. Whenever I tap the brake pedal (really annoying brake vacuum pump BUZZING that would wake the dead) the noise keeps going for ~10 sec. Tesla Service says "it's normal," which when translated to English means "We refuse to fix it.'"

If we're forced into this then I want Tesla to give me the option to customize what noise it emits with no less than the following options:
  • Spaceship laser sounds
  • V8 engine to scare the little kids
  • Train chuga-chuga-chuga sounds
  • Tractor engine roaring
  • Star Wars theme song
  • Boat moving through water sounds
  • Helicopter noise
  • Jet engine
  • Sound of metal scraping along the pavement
  • Horse trotting
  • Cow mooing
  • Donkey braying
Then maybe I would be ok with this.

I predicted this years ago, a booming new biz oppty called CarTones (tm), based on smartphone ring tones. I figure aging celebs will find a whole new revenue stream by licensing their voices, humming, whistles, etc. Not to mention Hollywood movie sounds. Me, I want the T Rex scream from Jurassic Park. That oughta keep the pedestrians on their toes.

I had been vehemently opposed to this reg. At anything slower than a walk, tire noise, even in ICE cars is more pronounced than engine noise. While I haven't totally about faced, I do see some rationale for this reg. I was out running on a city street early Sunday morning. The streets were deserted except for a Model S sitting at a red light. I crossed the street, then the light changed and the Model S passed me. The whole time, I didn't hear a thing. I knew he was there and I was well-clear. But, a blind person would never have known the car was there.

However, I don't like the way this regulation singles out BEV and hybrids. If there is a need to have a minimum noise level at speeds of less than 30km/h, it should apply to all vehicles. If an ICE's engine is too quiet, it too should have to make some artificial noise.

Of course, I am happy my 2015 70D isn't impacted, so I'm being a bit hypocritical here.

Last edited:
Sorry but you will not be able to pick the sound. All cars of the same Make, Model and Year have to make the same sound. It did not say that it cant be changed for everyone so for example you wake up on Christmas morning and everyone has reindeer hooves for the day.

I personally like the fighter jet sound especially if you are launching and it only takes a split second to go 0-19mph.

Another reason I'm glad I didn't wait to reserve my Model 3. :)

Anyway, it looks like Tesla may have a way to comply with this upcoming rule without needlessly generating noise pollution every time the car goes below 19 MPH:
Tesla might have a nuanced solution to noise pollution after new ‘quiet car’ rule for EVs to emit sounds

If so, and if Tesla gets NHTSA approval for such an implementation, this is another benefit of having all Tesla cars equipped with Autopilot hardware. It'll be one of the "safety" features available to all cars, whether or not you buy the Autopilot software suite.

Toyota/Lexus hybrids make a very audible, yet subtle, sound in EV mode. My dog actually recognizes it. Anyway, I am wondering if the sound is intentional?

It serves the purpose of making you aware the car is there, but seems, "natural."
That's the noise of their motors (permanent magnet?). Like your dogs it drives me crazy too. Tesla's use a different motor technology that doesn't make that noise.

For those that have bothered to dig into the details...

My recollection is that they were very particular in earlier incarnations of the language to describe prohibitions and/or penalties on tampering with the noise making device. But does the language prohibit or describe penalties for muffling / deadening the sound? To my knowledge it's not illegal to add insulation and noise cancellation inside the cabin, so doing the same "near" my car might be legal as well.