Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Time to Build Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, they do say "produced".

That said, they may have lots of space at Fremont, but are they really going to let thousands of cars sit around waiting for delivery?

Hi Doug,

True, I doubt they would stage thousands of cars, but I can foresee staging hundreds of cars to permit them to batch them geographically awaiting loading on to a car carrier.

Larry

Hi Doug,

Based on Tesla's statement on the Facts webpage, "Reservation Holders will be invited to configure their Model S about three months before its production date.", I think this 5 month lead time is probably deliberately overstated. In other words, I think that Tesla will actually deliver the car sooner than the committed contract date.

Larry

On the other (sadder) hand, this could mean once production is up to speed. The earliest people might actually be closer to 4-5 months until actual production.

On the other (sadder) hand, this could mean once production is up to speed. The earliest people might actually be closer to 4-5 months until actual production.

Yeah, Tesla seems to be setting the expectation that most Sigs and some of the early general prod reservation holders (even with 85 kWh) will not get the cars till atleast September. See the "Buy" page part for the general prod Model S:

Premium electric sedan
Up to 300 miles per charge
Deliveries begin Fall 2012

If this schedule holds true, I've just lost a big part of my case to order the 85 kWh pack (I need it desperately in September and October to haul visiting family around with no alternatives but expensive monthly car rentals). Doesn't look like I'll get P 1,620 till November/December :(

I think the ramp up will go something like this:
July 200
Aug 400
Sep 600
Oct 900
Nov 1,300
Dec 1,600
Total 5,000 cars in 2012

Based on this schedule, it will take 3 months to deliver all of the Signature vehicles. However, after that, deliveries should ramp up sharply to the 1,600 vehicles a month needed to average 20,000 a year in 2013. I'm guessing that all of October's deliveries will be 300 mile batteries from the first 3,000 (P) reservations (about 30%)? November and December might be a mixture of batteries.

Larry - I was just thinking that is what I would do. They are not going to send a half empty car trailer to Florida.
btw - I hope they use enclosed trailers. Otherwise the car will be very dirty after a 2,700 mile trip.

My Roadster came in a covered trailer. I was told when I placed my order for the Model S that the car would be delivered to the nearby store for double check and cleaning, and then the White Glove delivery to your desired location will come from there, I believe in a covered trailer also. They have a new group of people that will just do these deliveries.

Yes, I suppose that could be true, but I think that it is more likely the early cars would take more time. I think once production is up to speed, and the bugs are worked out, the lead time is more likely to be less than the early cars.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry - I was just thinking that is what I would do. They are not going to send a half empty car trailer to Florida.
btw - I hope they use enclosed trailers. Otherwise the car will be very dirty after a 2,700 mile trip.

My Roadster came in a covered trailer. I was told when I placed my order for the Model S that the car would be delivered to the nearby store for double check and cleaning, and then the White Glove delivery to your desired location will come from there, I believe in a covered trailer also. They have a new group of people that will just do these deliveries.

Hi Dave,

I'm guessing that due to the low volume that the Roadsters were delivered one at a time to the stores in a similar single car enclosed trailer that they used to deliver to the owner's homes. In the case of the Model S the volume dictates a multi-car trailer. At the minimum they will cover the cars with some sort of protection, even if the cars are not enclosed in a hardsided trailer.

Larry

At the minimum they will cover the cars with some sort of protection, even if the cars are not enclosed in a hardsided trailer.

From trailering a number of race cars with some sort of protection, I can tell you that they still get plenty dirty (carrying buckets of water to a small race track to wash the car is no one's idea of fun). If you want them clean on delivery, you need an enclosed trailer. I'm sure you're correct in that they will ship a number of them to a store, but once they get to the store they will be cleaned up and delivered in an enclosed trailer.

They may have a planned in a buffer just in case they find problems in the early cars, but then proceed more quickly when they have checked that everything is ok. Or they want to wait for feedback from the first delivered cars, before going to step 2.

Yes, I suppose that could be true, but I think that it is more likely the early cars would take more time. I think once production is up to speed, and the bugs are worked out, the lead time is more likely to be less than the early cars.

Larry

I think your right Larry.
For fun my guess about production ramp up is :
July: 25 cars
August: 125 cars
Sept: 650 cars
Oct: 1100 cars
Nov: 1500 cars
Dec: 1600 cars

Oh and by the way, at 12:18pm today I received my configuration email as well :) for SSL #221. Very excited, although I haven't decided whether to to get the sig or production yet. Pretty sure I will go for the performance but want to see the different colors in person and do a test drive before my money goes nonnrefundable. Not sure how to make that happen at this point though...

From trailering a number of race cars with some sort of protection, I can tell you that they still get plenty dirty (carrying buckets of water to a small race track to wash the car is no one's idea of fun). If you want them clean on delivery, you need an enclosed trailer. I'm sure you're correct in that they will ship a number of them to a store, but once they get to the store they will be cleaned up and delivered in an enclosed trailer.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I was thinking the "protection" would guard against road debris chipping the paint or windshield, etc., not really guard against getting dirty.

Larry

Last edited:
I think your right Larry.
For fun my guess about production ramp up is :
July: 25 cars
August: 125 cars
Sept: 650 cars
Oct: 1100 cars
Nov: 1500 cars
Dec: 1600 cars

Oh and by the way, at 12:18pm today I received my configuration email as well :) for SSL #221. Very excited, although I haven't decided whether to to get the sig or production yet. Pretty sure I will go for the performance but want to see the different colors in person and do a test drive before my money goes nonnrefundable. Not sure how to make that happen at this point though...

Hi Warren,

Yes, I've been thinking about your situation all day. I think you'll have a small amount of breathing room, but I really wonder if you are going to have to fly to California to see the colors and do a test drive.

It seems that you have the highest reported Special Signature reservation number on the unofficial Tally. So that might mean that all the Specials have been called today and now the regular signatures will start getting calls.

Larry

I just went by the LA store and signed my official paperwork. It does say "September" as the projected date. Adam over there said they starting saying September so people wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't get delivery by July or August. He did say he thought delivery would be sooner than September.

Can you take the 1 time deferral on a Sig?

Can you take the 1 time deferral on a Sig?
Yes. We are in a similar situation. Wife really wants to test drive and we can't decide between pearl white or twilight blue. WhenI brought up the test drive issue my salesperson said you could use your 1-time deferral to drop back to the 900's. So they'll drop you back and move everyone else up. If we did that he felt would be able to test drive before the paperwork was due. But we're in the Bay Area so presumably test drives will happen here first.