Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've been wondering what it looks like to drivers behind me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cant tell you the logic, however I can tell you that teslas (especially new drivers like yourself) end up looking like they are brake checking people all the time, If the car is slowing down enough to notice as a driver, the brake lights are probably on.

Have someone follow you in another car, and have that person following you have another passenger in the car to legally use their cellphone to video you as you drive around the block a couple times, then marvel at HOW OFTEN the brake lights come on.

You cant slow down appreciably without the brake lights coming on, and if you are someone who pulses the accelerator when they drive ( a LOT LOT LOT of people do this and dont even know it), instead of holding the accelerator at a constant pressure, then you are constantly speeding up, then braking (with brake lights) repeatedly.

I cant tell you the logic, however I can tell you that teslas (especially new drivers like yourself) end up looking like they are brake checking people all the time, If the car is slowing down enough to notice as a driver, the brake lights are probably on.

Have someone follow you in another car, and have that person following you have another passenger in the car to legally use their cellphone to video you as you drive around the block a couple times, then marvel at HOW OFTEN the brake lights come on.

You cant slow down appreciably without the brake lights coming on, and if you are someone who pulses the accelerator when they drive ( a LOT LOT LOT of people do this and dont even know it), instead of holding the accelerator at a constant pressure, then you are constantly speeding up, then braking (with brake lights) repeatedly.
I try to keep a pretty steady foot when slowing down as I like a smooth ride. But as fholbert pointed out, all I need to do s look at the display. I shoulda known those Tesla engineers had this covered. :)

I try to keep a pretty steady foot when slowing down as I like a smooth ride. But as fholbert pointed out, all I need to do s look at the display. I shoulda known those Tesla engineers had this covered. :)

its true that it shows you brake lights on the car display, but they are small (at least to me) and can be hard to see. If your braking, you probably dont want to focused on the little car avatar, either, at least not for any length of time, especially as a new owner getting "used to stuff".

.. Shrug, re reading that it sounds like I am lecturing you which isnt the intention. Just note that the display is small, and you are probably showing brake lights more than you think.

its true that it shows you brake lights on the car display, but they are small (at least to me) and can be hard to see. If your braking, you probably dont want to focused on the little car avatar, either, at least not for any length of time, especially as a new owner getting "used to stuff".

.. Shrug, re reading that it sounds like I am lecturing you which isnt the intention. Just note that the display is small, and you are probably showing brake lights more than you think.
Likely they'll be small to me too. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Good point about the distraction element however, I find that happening way too often as I try to learn & manage the car. To that end, I got a little unobtrusive accessory display (a TESERY 4.6'' Ultra Mini Screen Display) to install on the steering column which shows just the essentials. I sold my 21 Toyota Venza to get this car and it had a heads up display projected right on the windshield with speed, CC speed setting, and a few other things. I loved it and it was so cool (Tom Cruise, move over!). Tesla would do well to duplicate that IMHO.

Likely they'll be small to me too. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Good point about the distraction element however, I find that happening way too often as I try to learn & manage the car. To that end, I got a little unobtrusive accessory display (a TESERY 4.6'' Ultra Mini Screen Display) to install on the steering column which shows just the essentials. I sold my 21 Toyota Venza to get this car and it had a heads up display projected right on the windshield with speed, CC speed setting, and a few other things. I loved it and it was so cool (Tom Cruise, move over!). Tesla would do well to duplicate that IMHO.
Yes! A heads up would be great but Teslas are minimalist vehicles; they provided us with the essentials like farts and light shows.

The brake light on the display is not reliable. It completely stopped working with the last major gui redesign and I freaked out for a while until I realized that it’s a gui issue only. Since then it improved but I still notice that it does not always show on display when I am strongly decelerating. Actively pressing brake pedal turns it on though.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
The brake light on the display is not reliable. It completely stopped working with the last major gui redesign and I freaked out for a while until I realized that it’s a gui issue only. Since then it improved but I still notice that it does not always show on display when I am strongly decelerating. Actively pressing brake pedal turns it on though.
Oh boy. It will be interesting to check out. Thanks for letting me know.

Perhaps I can make it fart when the lights go on. Whatsisname's post slayed me. :D

If you are slowing your car down, the brake lights will engage, notifying the vehicles behind you that you are slowing down.
A picture says it best. I’d guess I was half way off the throttle.
IMG_8462 marked up.png

Reactions: Deaf Paul