Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've been wondering what it looks like to drivers behind me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brake light for car display on the screen was broken for the longest time (like close to a year, I think), but I think they finally restored it a few months ago. I look at it from time to time and think it's accurate now. At least it's lighting up when it's supposed to in my opinion. I don't know what the logic is to turn on the brake light, but it seems like it comes on when you decelerate greater than a certain rate.

I have S3XY button installed in my car and the phone display app lights up the bottom portion in red when the brake lights come on, which is much more visible than the car display on screen. I like knowing when the brake lights come on so I was happy when they added that feature, especially after the car brake display broke for a while.

I've read in several places that if the car is decelerating at greater than .1g, the brake lights are lit. Less than that, its considered coasting and no lights.

Personally, I wish they'd turn on much earlier than .1g. I'm constantly worried about being rear-ended because the brake lights arent on.
Intersting because for other cars based on watching this link, it was like 0.2g? yikes!

----------

My car brake lights generally work fine. If I ease off very slowly, the lights would not trigger according to the display.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I totally agree. Even adjusting temp is more distracting than I like. Not that I'm advocating for knobs (well, I sorta am), I spend more time looking at the screen than I like and too often have to make quick steering adjustments when I look back up (sport mode steering is handy for that!).

To help with this, I'm putting in this guy which will be MUCH less distracting and I THINK will also show when the brake lights go on.

Also, in my goal to achieve better visibility all round, I got these guys because the side view mirror glare was awful, and they really work. Night time driving is SO much better now. Plus, they give a wider angle of view. It was a good purchase.

And the final part of achieving this goal to to replace that awful tiny & dark rear view mirror with this guy. It's going in Wednesday and I'll report back on how well it works.

I had a 21 Toyota Venza which I sold to get this car. One fantastic feature it (and my wife's Camry) have is a literal heads up display projected on the lower windshields (height adjustable) which showed actual speed, direction, cruise control set speed, speed limit, and some other stuff. It did get washed out in bright sunlight, but that wasn't very often. It also had a camera mounted inside the top of the hatch which fed the rear view mirror & provided a wide angle of view. THAT was friggin awesome. I MISS that car. Oddly, it wouldn't take a roof rack because of it's sunroof and structural issues, I assume, so that was one of the reasons I got the model Y (other than its awesomeness and the instant addiction when I test drove it).

I totally agree. Even adjusting temp is more distracting than I like. Not that I'm advocating for knobs (well, I sorta am), I spend more time looking at the screen than I like and too often have to make quick steering adjustments when I look back up (sport mode steering is handy for that!).

To help with this, I'm putting in this guy which will be MUCH less distracting and I THINK will also show when the brake lights go on.

Also, in my goal to achieve better visibility all round, I got these guys because the side view mirror glare was awful, and they really work. Night time driving is SO much better now. Plus, they give a wider angle of view. It was a good purchase.

And the final part of achieving this goal to to replace that awful tiny & dark rear view mirror with this guy. It's going in Wednesday and I'll report back on how well it works.

I had a 21 Toyota Venza which I sold to get this car. One fantastic feature it (and my wife's Camry) have is a literal heads up display projected on the lower windshields (height adjustable) which showed actual speed, direction, cruise control set speed, speed limit, and some other stuff. It did get washed out in bright sunlight, but that wasn't very often. It also had a camera mounted inside the top of the hatch which fed the rear view mirror & provided a wide angle of view. THAT was friggin awesome. I MISS that car. Oddly, it wouldn't take a roof rack because of it's sunroof and structural issues, I assume, so that was one of the reasons I got the model Y (other than its awesomeness and the instant addiction when I test drove it).
There's no need to look at the screen to adjust temperature. Voice command: "Set temperature 23" will do it. (I use celsius degrees)