Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J-1772 Y plug idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Tennessee I have yet to locate a J1772 that will allow more than a 30 amp draw. Also most every station I have found has 2 or more plugs in close proximity and two or more plugs available when I have needed to charge. So I wonder if one could build a Y adapter that would allow one to plug two J-1772 stations into an adapter and pull 60 amps (30 amps from each circuit) rather than 30 amps?

I guess with AC someone could reverse the leads on two plug-in stations side by side and that could result in some fireworks. Because of the pilot signal I do not thinkone could check polarity with a meter ahead of time. What do you think, has anyone tried this? Being able to charge at more than 30 amps would be VERY helpful on trips.

Thank you in advance.

Not sure about your idea but the reason they are limited to 30A (instead of 32A or higher) has to do with the plug many of the public chargers decided to use. They only got them rated at 30A even though they can go to 32A on a 50A circuit. The standard supports up to 80A (with the Model S and the new Tesla HPC support). They actually do sell 80A J1772 chargers already that you can buy and install it's just that none of the public installers want to pay the extra for the charger and installation when no current car can charge at 80A (Roadster can charge at 70A with an adapter).

Another reason I have found is the DOE funding for the EV project that is funding most of the public charging stations mandate 30 amp and 208-240V for level 2. And so the "free" chargers available in TN are only 30 amp. And as you said currently only the Roadster can use the higher charge levels, While this is perfectly adequate for home, work and motel charging, places you will be for 8+ hours, it is barely adequate for traveling. While I am most grateful that Cracker Barrel is putting in J1772 charging along the Interstates here, with a charge rate of 21 miles/hour even a half charge takes 4 hours and that is a LONG dinner at Cracker Barrel. With this rate long distance travel is only for those with plenty of time and patience. If I were to be able to utilize two 30 amp circuits then a very slow charge becomes a more tolerable slow charge.

Basically I am trying to find a way to best utilize the current charging infrastructure. The model S will soon be out and while people can dream of using it for road trips, with the infrastructure I have found, it is still not possible for “normal” people.

Yes, I had a similar idea that I was mentioning various places a while back.

I went so far as to make this silly mock-up showing something that would be more useful on a LEAF than CHAdeMO in USA right now:
multij.jpg

Also, Model S could have a flap on the other tail light, and one J1772 to each of the two chargers inside...

Last edited:
Yes, I had a similar idea that I was mentioning various places a while back.

I went so far as to make this silly mock-up showing something that would be more useful on a LEAF than CHAdeMO in USA right now:
multij.jpg

Also, Model S could have a flap on the other tail light, and one J1772 to each of the two chargers inside...

This would be perfect for 3-phase charging. it does not matter you have "star" or "delta" configuration