Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1172 extension cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a Tesla Wall Connector for my MYLR and moved my ChargePoint to the other side of the garage. It’s a stretch to reach the front charge port, but since we’ll probably replace the Leaf with a M3 in the next year or so, I wanted it to be conveniently located for the Tesla port on back. Anyway, I’ve been looking at L2 J extension cords and am wondering if people have used them before? My charger is only on a 40A circuit, but wondering if it makes sense to get a 48A cable as it might be good for road trips. I’ve seen plenty of chargers in strange places at hotels with ICE cars parked in the stall. Is it worthwhile getting the 48A or overkill?

Regarding travel: In all of my travels I don’t think I’ve been in a situation where I needed a J1772 extension cable. Considering the cost, weight and the potential for theft, I’d pass.

Regarding home: I would advise against using any sort of extension cord - even a J1772 or NEMA 14-50 - for regular, daily charging. I’d rather spend a few extra bucks on a hard wired solution that meets your charging needs.

7 conductors; 5 power (40A) and 2 signal. I believe that evseadapters.com sells a J-1772 extension cord. I don't know if they have the plug and socket ends by themselves.

There's 5 pins in the J-1772 handle but a 40A cable I saw has 2 red, 2 black and a green for power. Both reds are tied together at the handle, as well as the black pair. Most likely this is a (bad?) workaround for using a single, larger gauge wire for each power leg. Minimum number of wires is 5 but I believe you'd need something like 8AWG for a 40A connection.

Really, if you are dead set on using a J-1772 extension cord, I'd buy one already assembled rather than trying to DIY.

ref: J-Plug™ - 40 Amp J1772 Plug/Cable Assembly
ref: SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

Last edited: