Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter Melted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my J1772 adapter melt on Tuesday. I was working at a Panera while my car was charging and time flew by. 3 hours later I come up to my car and using the app I told it to stop charging and unlock the port. I then put some stuff in the trunk before pulling the cable and adapter out. I reached for the adapter to remove it from the cable and realized it was hot. Then I suddenly realized it was VERY hot when my hand started hurting. I had scalded my hand like I had picked up a too hot mug of coffee.

When I separated the plug and adapter a string of melted plastic connected the two. I stood there dumbfounded for a bit before putting the adapter in my car and walking into the local ATT store to ask for some paper and tape to mark the charging stall out of order (Volta spot #8 at the Veranda shopping center in Concord, CA). I then reported the stall as damaged through the Volta app w/picture and called them shortly after. Left a message because no one picked up and told them I would be speaking with Tesla about it. I then tried calling Tesla. Got their roadside assistance and was sorely disappointed in the conversation. The person on the phone didn't seem to understand and then warned me to "put my hand close to the charger" in the future to detect if it is hot, for my 'security'. It was a very odd conversation.

Fast toward to today and Volta connects with me. They replaced the charging cable on the charging stall and wanted to discuss everything I stated above. I had scheduled a service appointment when I couldn't get anyone live on the phone with an ounce of sense. They wanted to know if I had spoken with Tesla yet and, if so, what they said. I was frustrated with not being able to charge on the chargers at work without the adapter so I was headed to my local Tesla service center when I was on the phone with them.

The interactions with the staff at the Tesla Service center was disappointing. I spoke with one person, who would barely make eye contact with me, who insisted that this was not a warranty issue and that I had to pay for a new adapter. After some back and forth she said that I could pay for the adapter and leave the old one with her for her technician to open up. If he found a short they would refund me the cost as a warranty replacement. She still would barely make eye contact with me so I was feeling off about the entire situation. I paid for the replacement against my better judgment and took the melted adapter with me. I'm not deciding what to do about it. This thing was severely melted and smelled less like melting plastic and more like ash after a fire. I'm lucky my car didn't go up in flames given the smell of this thing.

The Volta rep was very interested in which model of J1772 adapter I had. An A series or a B series (The letter at the end of the part number, I guess - P/N: 1067348-00-A). The melted one is an A series. The replacement I just had to purchase was a B series.

Any thoughts or advice? There wasn't anything in apparent disrepair with the Volta charger. Everything seemed fine when I left the car.

Mine was a Volta charger as well.. I just don’t use them anymore. I feel as if their connectors are cheap and faulty. I’ve come across many Volta chargers that when plugged in, the connectors are sometimes so loose that it won’t even charge.

Reactions: rrosenbl and vickh
Mine was a Volta charger as well.. I just don’t use them anymore. I feel as if their connectors are cheap and faulty. I’ve come across many Volta chargers that when plugged in, the connectors are sometimes so loose that it won’t even charge.

good to know. will avoid as well. The one around here doesn't get used much, but it's only 12 A for 2 hrs max too. Too bad they spent all th e money on the big screen instead of connector.

Got a call back from Volta. They are looking into it. Took all my information and the nature of the situation. They're claiming this isn't just at Volta chargers but happening at other third party locations (I'm assuming they're trying to blame Tesla).

I let them know I've used many third party chargers on this car since September, including their own. So clearly something is wrong with that particular unit. Also, Tesla told me when I had the part replaced they've had 100s of people complaining about that specific Volta site.

Volta will escalate my case and get back to me next week. I'm thinking they've find a way to blame Tesla and redirect me there, but I'l keep you all posted.

I had my J1772 adapter melt on Tuesday. I was working at a Panera while my car was charging and time flew by. 3 hours later I come up to my car and using the app I told it to stop charging and unlock the port. I then put some stuff in the trunk before pulling the cable and adapter out. I reached for the adapter to remove it from the cable and realized it was hot. Then I suddenly realized it was VERY hot when my hand started hurting. I had scalded my hand like I had picked up a too hot mug of coffee.

When I separated the plug and adapter a string of melted plastic connected the two. I stood there dumbfounded for a bit before putting the adapter in my car and walking into the local ATT store to ask for some paper and tape to mark the charging stall out of order (Volta spot #8 at the Veranda shopping center in Concord, CA). I then reported the stall as damaged through the Volta app w/picture and called them shortly after. Left a message because no one picked up and told them I would be speaking with Tesla about it. I then tried calling Tesla. Got their roadside assistance and was sorely disappointed in the conversation. The person on the phone didn't seem to understand and then warned me to "put my hand close to the charger" in the future to detect if it is hot, for my 'security'. It was a very odd conversation.

Fast toward to today and Volta connects with me. They replaced the charging cable on the charging stall and wanted to discuss everything I stated above. I had scheduled a service appointment when I couldn't get anyone live on the phone with an ounce of sense. They wanted to know if I had spoken with Tesla yet and, if so, what they said. I was frustrated with not being able to charge on the chargers at work without the adapter so I was headed to my local Tesla service center when I was on the phone with them.

The interactions with the staff at the Tesla Service center was disappointing. I spoke with one person, who would barely make eye contact with me, who insisted that this was not a warranty issue and that I had to pay for a new adapter. After some back and forth she said that I could pay for the adapter and leave the old one with her for her technician to open up. If he found a short they would refund me the cost as a warranty replacement. She still would barely make eye contact with me so I was feeling off about the entire situation. I paid for the replacement against my better judgment and took the melted adapter with me. I'm not deciding what to do about it. This thing was severely melted and smelled less like melting plastic and more like ash after a fire. I'm lucky my car didn't go up in flames given the smell of this thing.

The Volta rep was very interested in which model of J1772 adapter I had. An A series or a B series (The letter at the end of the part number, I guess - P/N: 1067348-00-A). The melted one is an A series. The replacement I just had to purchase was a B series.

Any thoughts or advice? There wasn't anything in apparent disrepair with the Volta charger. Everything seemed fine when I left the car.

Any update from Volta? Did they reimburse you?

Reactions: rrosenbl
I'm not sure. Volta actually informed me that Tesla was making that switch with new versions and sure enough, they did when I came in to get mine replaced. I can tell you that the Volta rep was very pleasant and willing to discuss the issue. Tesla, on the other hand, was very standoffish and refused to do a warranty replacement even when pressed. The Volta charging cable looked fine and had no real damage except some of my charging cable melted to it.

I am on my 5th adapter, and I’ve owned my car about 8 months. I have had four melt or deform on me due to overheating
9A3F41BF-6195-42FD-A137-E79F7A9E9F23.jpeg
163E984B-4F4E-4D6A-98E8-73CDE05652A3.jpeg
. Different chargers. I was told we get one free adapter per year, after that it’s $100. I’ve spent $300 so far.

I recommend changing the charge current. The charger I use are 30A, I recommend to set it at less than 28A. I normally charge on 26A, today like an idiot I decided to go to 29A. Still not the full 30A...but it was enough to melt it pretty badly. It always seems to be the top right one for me...
8B7DC2E4-BE5D-4E6D-8FEE-A55F50F832AB.jpeg

Attachments

• C97E31C8-A079-4397-85F2-7E8724635EC5.jpeg
    C97E31C8-A079-4397-85F2-7E8724635EC5.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 45
Something else must be the cause, those J1772 adapters are rated for 80 amps I routinely used mine between 40 and 48 amps and a few times @ 80A. I still have the original that I got with my car. Something else must be amiss.

Perhaps connectivity issues to their? Connector. There's no way you should be seeing melting or deformation at or below 30 amps

I agree with @tccartier. I've owned my Model 3 since late March of this year, so about 7.5 months. I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 at home (I bought it for a Chevy Volt that I used to drive), so most of my charging is via a J1772 adapter. My Clipper Creek unit delivers 32A, and I've never had problems with a melted adapter. I also use public EVSEs about once a week, on average. Most of these are 30A or 32A, but I've used at least one that charged at 48A, and I had no problems with it, or with any of the lower-amperage public EVSEs I've tried.

I have seen a few reports of melted J1772 adapters when using Volta EVSEs. If your failures have been at Volta EVSEs, I'd just stop using them. If, like me, you're using a J1772 EVSE at home and the failures have occurred there, it might be worth ditching your home EVSE in favor of a Tesla Wall Connector or some other brand of EVSE. It's also conceivable that there's something wrong with your Tesla's charge port. I'd kind of expect problems on that end to affect the Tesla side of the adapter, but maybe there's something about the way heat is conducted through the adapter that could explain these failures.

I use two J-1772 adapters. One remains on our Clipper Creek charging station for routine home charging of my SR+. Have never had issues with that one.

I keep another J-1772 adapter in the vehicle to use when abroad. A few months ago that one melted when using a Volta charging station and Tesla swapped it out for a new one at their service center. They noted the melt issue was commonly associated with Volta station use.

So is it safe to say that we can use those duster cans to clean out the volta charger handle or whatever to prevent it from melting our 100$ adapters? I still think Volta should acknowledge their junk is melting the adapters.. to me it's overly evident there is an issue with their equipment. I still refuse to use them after my 1st melting incident.

So is it safe to say that we can use those duster cans to clean out the volta charger handle or whatever to prevent it from melting our 100$ adapters? I still think Volta should acknowledge their junk is melting the adapters.. to me it's overly evident there is an issue with their equipment. I still refuse to use them after my 1st melting incident.

I've seen claims that the Volta EVSEs are iffy to use with Teslas for this reason, but no solid study of why that might be or even statistics to back up the claim. This lack of data also makes it unclear what, if any, precautionary measures could be taken when using Volta stations, or J1772 EVSEs generally. Personally, I'm just not going to use them unless it's an emergency. (It helps that for me personally, there are no Volta stations anywhere I normally travel, so I'm not giving up much.)

GUESS WHAT? Today I had to use these crappy Volta chargers. Guess what I found: upon careful inspection of the Volta charger handle to make sure it wasn’t dirty etc to cause another destruction of my property, I noticed someone carefully folded and placed a metal candy wrapper inside one of the holes which I imagine would cause some type of fault or melting.

MAKE SURE you are looking inside these plugs to be sure someone isn’t maliciously doing this to cause fault, fire or otherwise some other damage. I was kinda shocked but then again, all the EV haters out there...