Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter Melted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GUESS WHAT? Today I had to use these crappy Volta chargers. Guess what I found: upon careful inspection of the Volta charger handle to make sure it wasn’t dirty etc to cause another destruction of my property, I noticed someone carefully folded and placed a metal candy wrapper inside one of the holes which I imagine would cause some type of fault or melting.

MAKE SURE you are looking inside these plugs to be sure someone isn’t maliciously doing this to cause fault, fire or otherwise some other damage. I was kinda shocked but then again, all the EV haters out there...

Thx for the heads up.
This could happen with any public unlocked charger. Will double check. Idiot vandal could electrocute themselves too.

Reactions: calidreamz808
This just happened to me too. Looks exactly the same. Hope Tesla replaces mine. I'm worried to use it again.

There are known issues with Volta chargers when using the J-1772 adapter. I wouldn't recommend using that one again. While they're not terribly inexpensive I think they're around $95 that's still a relatively small investment for peace of mind.

Warranty replacement through Tesla will likely be hit and miss. They May or may not be aware of the Volta issue depending on location.

The two experiences that I have had with Volta chargers using my J1772 adapter both had problems, in each instance the car reduced the current giving me error messages and/or warnings that there were connectivity issues. I have not used them since.

D88DA922-5511-47DE-A675-0E7E1E3D5694.jpeg
DE746ABD-502A-463E-890D-8DBB94032275.jpeg
Interesting and helpful comments. Thanks to all who posted. Mine melted too. The difference with other posts, mine is 2.75 years old and I have used it all over North America (U.S and Canada). Never a problem.

Been using a local splendid, free 69 Amp J-1772 charger since March 2018. Sometimes twice a week. Never a problem till lately. I noticed the handle was a little warm if I let it charge longer than an hour (many times let it charge 2 or more hours no problem).

The other problem is that in the last 6 months, as the site became more popular, it was hard to find it free. Maybe once a week I would get lucky. Seen dozens of different Tesla’s and other EVs use it pretty much non-stop day and night. With all that use, I suspect the handle could easily capture some detritus. Sigh... I will have to stop going there.

As others reported, Tesla refused to replace it declaring it is a third party part and not a Tesla product. Interesting given Tesla’s name was on it. No amount of whining about being a (somewhat) early adopter and spent tens of thousands more for less of a car available today (I am very happy with my car, was just trying an angle) had any impact. He had heard it all and so many come in, from all over, that they can’t be handing out freebies.

I thought I would try my hand at Amazon, eBay.... no deals I could find.

interesting there is a “B” version. Any evidence it is a more robust product? Or should insist on “A” when I go back to the store?

Reactions: rrosenbl
View attachment 516309 View attachment 516310 Interesting and helpful comments. Thanks to all who posted. Mine melted too. The difference with other posts, mine is 2.75 years old and I have used it all over North America (U.S and Canada). Never a problem.

Been using a local splendid, free 69 Amp J-1772 charger since March 2018. Sometimes twice a week. Never a problem till lately. I noticed the handle was a little warm if I let it charge longer than an hour (many times let it charge 2 or more hours no problem).

The other problem is that in the last 6 months, as the site became more popular, it was hard to find it free. Maybe once a week I would get lucky. Seen dozens of different Tesla’s and other EVs use it pretty much non-stop day and night. With all that use, I suspect the handle could easily capture some detritus. Sigh... I will have to stop going there.

As others reported, Tesla refused to replace it declaring it is a third party part and not a Tesla product. Interesting given Tesla’s name was on it. No amount of whining about being a (somewhat) early adopter and spent tens of thousands more for less of a car available today (I am very happy with my car, was just trying an angle) had any impact. He had heard it all and so many come in, from all over, that they can’t be handing out freebies.

I thought I would try my hand at Amazon, eBay.... no deals I could find.

interesting there is a “B” version. Any evidence it is a more robust product? Or should insist on “A” when I go back to the store?

Well $95 may seem expensive for that type of a connector. Keep in mind that that's barely more than the price of a full tank or two of gas in some pickup trucks / cars these days It shouldn't break the bank. I have two j1772 adapters. One lives in the car The other at home. I wouldn't go cheap on it spend the money get a new part from Tesla

Well $95 may seem expensive for that type of a connector. Keep in mind that that's barely more than the price of a full tank or two of gas in some pickup trucks / cars these days It shouldn't break the bank. I have two j1772 adapters. One lives in the car The other at home. I wouldn't go cheap on it spend the money get a new part from Tesla

I will get one now from Tesla and a second as a spare if I do cross country stuff again. Of course now, there are so many superchargers, the need to find public stations is rapidly reducing. 12 V3 stalls should be avail a couple miles from home in a month or so. Next closest supercharger is 35 miles. Rumor has it that 5 miles from home in opposite direction there will be 26 SC stalls maybe by the end of the year. So we will be in good shape finally. (Can’t go anywhere in town without seeing many Tesla’s).

I will get one now from Tesla and a second as a spare if I do cross country stuff again. Of course now, there are so many superchargers, the need to find public stations is rapidly reducing. 12 V3 stalls should be avail a couple miles from home in a month or so. Next closest supercharger is 35 miles. Rumor has it that 5 miles from home in opposite direction there will be 26 SC stalls maybe by the end of the year. So we will be in good shape finally. (Can’t go anywhere in town without seeing many Tesla’s).

Out here and fly over America where I live and drive it's good to have options. I carry my chademo adapter with me also and my mobile connector. Supercharger proliferation has gotten better but they are not always where I need to wind up or where I want to go. So it is nice to be able to take advantage of other options when they present themselves. In any case, these are awesome cars no looking back.

I've been following this for a while. I just reviewed the thread, and although not everybody who's experienced the problem said so explicitly, my impression is that the problem is much more likely to occur on EVSEs that charge at over ~32A. A lot of Volta EVSEs are listed on PlugShare as supporting 9.6kW (40A or 48A, depending on voltage) on PlugShare, which could be why they've got this reputation. Yes, I know that Tesla's adapter is rated for much higher than that, but that rating is probably based on clean connectors. Add in some dirt and it might not be safe for use at higher amperage. It seems to me that checking any public J1772 plug for dirt, checking your own adapter for dirt, and turning down the amperage in the car to ~32A or less, if the EVSE tries to provide more, are reasonable precautions.

Reactions: Tron 3
Third time this has happened to me. First time Tesla replaced it but told me not again. Second time it happened I just bought an aftermarket part. Picked up my new M3P Friday, replacig my old M3LR. Didn't realize the 220V adapters for the charging cord were no longer included so had to use this one in my garage until the 220 gets here. Worst melt yet. My garage connector has to stretch across the entire garage so probably puts a some horizontal pressure on it. I think this is the issue. Make sure when connected that the cord is hanging down. C series adapter

Last edited:
Third time this has happened to me. First time Tesla replaced it but told me not again. Second time it happened I just bought an aftermarket part. Picked up my new M3P Friday, replacig my old M3LR. Didn't realize the 220V adapters for the charging cord were no longer included so had to use this one in my garage until the 220 gets here. Worst melt yet. My garage connector has to stretch across the entire garage so probably puts a some horizontal pressure on it. I think this is the issue. Make sure when connected that the cord is hanging down. C series adapter
Good info. Potentially a design flaw on Tesla's part? Although the adapter itself feels very high-quality... I'm hesitant to buy another because there's no guarantee it won't happen again. But I guess that's better than being stranded.

My (old) data point... I used a couple of J1772 adapters about twice a week for over a year (July 2018 to Sept. 2019). Never had a problem with overheating and certainly not melting them. Used with ChargePoint Level 2 stations at work. There were several times that the station refused to start charging but that was the equipment's fault, not my adapter or car. Both adapters were sourced from eBay as I kept the original at home. Both were also the design that has the ridge or rim in the middle; the factory one is smooth.

I've never used my J1772 adapter so I'm a bit ignorant here. Is it possible to start charging with the adapter not fully seated into the charger cable? I'm wondering if all these events are due to having the connector partially engaged, thus the current would be going through a smaller area of metal on the pins which would have higher resistance and generate more heat.

Response from Tesla:

"I can’t say for sure if they will goodwill as it is at the manager’s discretion. However the cause of the increased amperage that we have found is not directly based on the units capacity or rate of flow. If there is any damage to the internal cables or the terminals of the charging station then this causes increases resistance to current flow and creates higher than normal temperatures while charging. It may not be visibly evident as it will depend on where the resistance is. Tesla has found this to be true in the cases they have investigated and hence why they don’t warranty damage caused by 3rd party chargers. However, there is always the possibility of another cause so if you feel like you situation might be different then I do recommend taking your photos and bringing the unit it to be examined to see if they will goodwill."

Makes me hesitant to buy another w/o knowing the root cause.

5810DA8F-A420-4E97-8E1D-D9A8534EC6C8.jpeg
EC666506-9E3E-4CB3-BBAE-CBFD0B320905.jpeg
7AE23076-F7D2-422F-889A-03D5D3FDD8FC.jpeg
AB6D9A3A-A29D-48A9-BCA2-67BA5620AE34.jpeg
I’ve been using this charger for over 4 years, it’s used by a dozen tenants Who drive EV‘s, it’s occupied 2–4x/day and in the last month has melted 2-of my J1772 adapters. My 2020 M3 car’s plug looks immaculate, the charger plug looks clean. Implication is a fault TJ 1772 adapter, but two times in one month? Tesla is coming out to inspect the car tomorrow, potentially replace the adapter(s) & run diagnostics on the vehicle. This seems like enough of an inconvenience/problem that we should cover it on the TALKING TESLA podcast. Appreciate reading through all of your stories. Is this a more frequent problem now that level 2 chargers are getting old? Do they need regular cleaning? Do charger vendors have a plan for that? I work in the ER, have not yet treated someone for a burn to the hand from an overheated charger, but almost suffered one myself! These are public health implications as well as negative FUD for EVs. If you have opinions or thoughts/ideas please email me at: [email protected] Thx, Robert
D365CB68-0474-4ED2-ACE0-92CDB83DD3F0.jpeg