Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, I thought I had lost the J1772 adapter that came with my Tesla. Long story short, I found it in the end. .
But that got me thinking about ordering one more of those, just in case I end up really loosing it for real, one day.
Well?
I couldn't find it anywhere online. Not on the Tesla website, not anywhere, except a used version on eBay.

Does anybody know where to order/purchase a brand new J1772 adapter??

I went to charge at the restaurant this morning and could not find my adapter. Drove to Tesla in Corte Madera and when they opened they told me they don't sell anything in the store. Fortunately, they allowed us to use their test-drive-car chargers so we had enough to get home. While waiting for it to charge I went searching for an adapter on the interwebs. Nope, none on Amazon. On eBay they are all MORE than new. At least if I ever want to sell mine I will be getting my money's worth.

I find it surprising that no one else sells one. They are getting $95 for one at Tesla.com (plus tax). Surely one could print one out of a 3D printer for less.

-Randy

Oh, and when I got back to the Volta Charge station I last charged at there was my adapter, still covered in gold tape just like I originally done to identify (and hopefully not forget) my adapter, right on the ground next to the charger. The tape was a Tesla suggestion at pickup.

Speaking of 3D printing, what about printing something to attach the adapter to the inside of the car that can stretch thru the window or the trunk lid so that I (all of us) never leave the adapter again.

-Randy

Surely one could print one out of a 3D printer for less.

This would be a pretty difficult 3D printing project as in addition to the plastic part you would also need metal conductors that are capable of handing 80 amps at 240V. If not done properly it could easily could start a fire and/or kill someone. I’m not sure I’d trust a DIY version of the adapter.

Speaking of 3D printing, what about printing something to attach the adapter to the inside of the car that can stretch thru the window or the trunk lid so that I (all of us) never leave the adapter again.

Not sure you need a 3D printer for this. Just use a piece of string.

Reactions: XHabjab